Another JKUR story

The Jeep got some much needed love this weekend. Still had intermittent DW issues, so I did a few things to address that and I had a DS unit bearing going bad.

Not having a phone dock sucked, so I ordered up a Vector Off-road dash bar and a couple 67 Design phone holders:
29997BCB-F6DF-4928-A353-144C4DAD763F.jpeg

Victoria was really helpful and I enjoyed spending some 1 on 1 time with her, which doesn’t happen very often.
7A11ACC1-73A9-4A2A-9C3B-A71F8D9D0743.jpeg

Installed some Metalcloak bumpstops to keep from bashing my relocated stabilizer.
E171F831-B5DF-484E-80D7-139A23A7792A.jpeg

Installed the Metalcloak front link relocation kit to bring the caster back in line. This made a big difference in braking performance as well.
13352927-8145-438C-BA54-59E7A821815E.jpeg

251092F2-8B68-409A-B861-A410DD6EC716.jpeg

I didn’t take a picture, but also replaced the stock track bar with a new adj track bar that Chris Keziah hooked me up with and replaced the noisy DS unit bearing.

After about 100 miles of driving today, I can confidently say that it’s now a one-hander on the highway. Before it was definitely a two-handed operation to keep it between the lines.

The squeak from the drive train was not coming from the unit bearing. I would have sworn that it was since I had it up on jack stands and was listening for it with my ear right next to the tire. I have old man hearing I guess. Sticking my head out the window while riding around in the rain today and listening to the frequency relative to tire rotation, it sounds like it squeaks 4-5x per rotation. Could be a bad ujoint in the driveshaft? Next step will be to pull the driveshaft and repeat test.

After about 100 miles of driving today, I can confidently say that it’s now a one-hander on the highway. Before it was definitely a two-handed operation to keep it between the lines.

The squeak from the drive train was not coming from the unit bearing. I would have sworn that it was since I had it up on jack stands and was listening for it with my ear right next to the tire. I have old man hearing I guess. Sticking my head out the window while riding around in the rain today and listening to the frequency relative to tire rotation, it sounds like it squeaks 4-5x per rotation. Could be a bad ujoint in the driveshaft? Next step will be to pull the driveshaft and repeat test.
Check the dust shields to make sure they're not rubbing on the brake rotor.

Check the dust shields to make sure they're not rubbing on the brake rotor.
Unless @Andy J. had portals, I bet he's got a driveline issue. (Noise 4-5 times per wheel revolution)
Maybe Rugged Ridge has low cost portal D30s these day or something? Lol

Driveshaft u-joint

How much does metalcloak charge for hockey pucks?

@Chris_Keziah helped me to diagnose the drivetrain noise and a surprise oil leak. Looks like some water got in the diff on the last trip and toasted the pinion bearings. Also discovered that my oil filter housing is cracked and dumping oil :shaking:

Parts on the way.
View attachment 339014
You got that ProRockFoty-fo money so you should probably change the fluids after every trip anyway ;)

Damn man. Where was the part cracked at?

My 2.5 yr old Mopar battery died out of the blue last weekend. Dad came to the rescue with a Napa battery he pulled out of a neglected Ferrari that he nursed back to health.

This thread probably belongs in the truck galley more than the build section. I got a hard shell RTT a few months back. Say what you want about overlanders, but it beats the hell out of sleeping on the ground.

2FFFE13B-276B-4766-BFE4-E381042AC785.jpeg
F90DB322-BBCF-4684-B7F1-21837AAC75AE.jpeg

Did some camping and riding around in the Pisgah National Forest a couple weekends ago. I missed the CTB Potts trip because of this (sorry @CasterTroy). My folks bought a travel trailer and this was the only weekend the whole family could get together (first time in a couple years actually). My sister has gotten into mushrooms *insert jokes here* and so I drove her around the National Forest looking for ‘shrooms.

Sis harvesting a racine(?) shroom
38704AAE-4F5F-44C2-9999-E336319554CE.jpeg

Wifey at the Wolf Creek Falls
39D37BCA-A127-4192-AC0E-94B1F1918C14.jpeg

Back