Answer me this..

purpleTJchick

power lines are owned by the state right? even if a guy has land all around the powerlines, the powerline trails are owned by the state?

He says the state does not own it.. but what are the chances?

No, if I understand it correctly, the powerline trails are privatly owned, with the power line company having right of way. Could be the state, could be a private owner.

I agree with Rob. I looked at a house for sale near Jordan Lake. Walked the property lines with the seller. He owned the property under the power lines, had a garden there and a little pond. Had a map showing the lot dimensions and everything.

I don't how exactly how it works...but Rob is on the right track...

I work for BellSouth, and we have an entire "right-of-way" department that gets us little plots of ground to pour a small slab of concrete, or a place to make a driveway, or a place to run a line of poles...

Greg

The property is owned by anyone, private, company, state, etc.

The power line company has a right of way on either side of the lines but does not necessairily own the property and has "understood" permission to be on there at anytime.

powerline

Even though you own the land the power line is on, you cannot put any type of structure on the right of way. You are very limited as to the use, gardening and such.

The county may have the specific answer online. Put the nearest address in and zoom around to determine property lines, etc. I found a graveyard in a lot I was looking to purchase last year. I can also determine the locations of many easements and well sites. Often 0 <road name> gives some nifty answers. Try it on Six forks and see all the graveyards.

J

I own land with powerlines and gas wells on. I still own the land, but the utility companies have a right-of-way.

+1 on what Studnuts said. I own 20 acres of powerline and I can drive on the powerlines legally. I cannot build anything that restricts right of way. Ground blinds, gardens etc are fine. BTW, the power company recently bush hogged the lines and they pretty much run over anything in thier way. They ain't playin around when it comes to gettin' through.

StudNuts said:
I own land with powerlines and gas wells on. I still own the land, but the utility companies have a right-of-way.

Ditto on ownig power line land.
However let me give this heads up, In SC (not the same in NC but still worth noting) there is a special trespassing law for "Driving on or off highway vehicles on utility right of way without permsission" basically it gives them a 2nd chrge to hit you with, and if they find anything else 3 simultaneous misdermeanors can be stacked into a felony (what a load) My neighbor's brother is an attorney. His(the neighbor not the attorney) son recently got busted running some lines
(NOTE HE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN TRESPASSING I AM NOT DEFENDING THIS ACT) but thecop that got called cited him for :trespassing, this previous BS charge, and FAILURE TO WEAR A SAFETY RESTRAINT!!!

He was booked on a felony had to post 2500 bond

This is a load of croc,so for those near the border don't trespass it damn sure aint worth it!!

the guy that owns the land said 2 other friends and I could go on it in the future as long as we give him a heads up. I just thought the powerlines were off limits and did relize he owned it too. just making sure.

If you get pulled you still need to have written permission from the guy. Congratulations on the find, make sure to tell him when you clean things up, and keep him feeling it was worth his time/risk to let you guys use the trail.

J

hobie said:
If you get pulled you still need to have written permission from the guy. Congratulations on the find, make sure to tell him when you clean things up, and keep him feeling it was worth his time/risk to let you guys use the trail.

J

Cleaning is the key, non-4wheelers were using the place we go as a dump. After the owner see's you haul off a few loads of washers, refrigerators, scrap metal, plus all the other crap, he don't mind you making a few trails.

Just keep it cleaned up.

;)

So who would get me in trouble if I went and did the trails at ligon mills? I mean is it a cop has to see me? I don't wanna be going there if it's not allowed.

spykosshow said:
So who would get me in trouble if I went and did the trails at ligon mills? I mean is it a cop has to see me? I don't wanna be going there if it's not allowed.

Read the rules.

Back