Anyone currently on anti anxiety meds? Need some advice

Cherokeekid88

So I have dealt with Anxiety for as long as I can remember. If I had to pick a point in my life as to when I first starting feeling this way, it would have to be when I was in the 4th grade. There was a bully in our class that was probably 2-3 years older than everyone else in the class and it started to affect my school work. I started making bad grades because I couldn't focus, I was always worried, then after I started making bad grades, I felt like I wasn't capable of doing any better than that. I spoke to therapist and he told me that I would just snap out of it, and I did just that. Didn't bother me (at least I don't remember it doing so) for years. Then it started back up when I was in the ladder part of my high school years, but I was always against taking anything for it, so I just dealt with it the best I could. Now, I mainly deal with it by having a drink or 3. Not everyday and I recently took about 2 months off from drinking at all, but during that time, I didn't have a way to deal with the feelings that I had and I just bottled them all up. Now that I have a daughter, I am starting to notice things with her that remind me a lot of myself and its got me thinking that I could possibly have OCD along with the anxiety and its got me thinking about my own issues and I think its time to talk with someone and be put on something because I feel like its going to help me. My only concern is it changing my personality or making me different, Although it could be for the better. Just need some guidance here from folks who are in the same boat as me.

Thanks

I'm super busy at work. But mental health is a huge deal for me and you deserve some help. :)
I used to have anxiety, bad. Like see my heart beating through my shirt bad. Couldn't sleep, mind racing, the usual.
In short, lay off the meds until you get an accurate evaluation and diagnosis from a mental health professional. You need to get to the core of your anxiety, not mask the symptoms.
It took me a few visits to determine I can be codependent, a people pleaser and need to learn to detatch. Read some books, was diligent with appointments with my therapist and most importantly, i applied what I was being taught when the situation presented itself.
It worked.
I react completely differently to situations than I once did. I do it an dsleep like a baby. It can work for you.
Start here and be brave enough to be vulnerable: Psychology Today: Health, Help, Happiness + Find a Therapist

Good for you for recognizing that you might need help figuring this out. Find someone to talk to and I wish you the best.

At this point, I am fine with me noticing these things, Its always been being put on medication that will change who I am instead of dealing with the issue at hand. Not sure if going to a primary care doctor is the key (which I don't have but need to get one) or maybe begin with talking with a therapist first... not really sure. I just want someone to really listen and help me figure out what is going on and being put on something that's going to help me and not just some anti depression med thats gonna make me not GAF, and turn me into a zombie.

At this point, I am fine with me noticing these things, Its always been being put on medication that will change who I am instead of dealing with the issue at hand. Not sure if going to a primary care doctor is the key (which I don't have but need to get one) or maybe begin with talking with a therapist first... not really sure. I just want someone to really listen and help me figure out what is going on and being put on something that's going to help me and not just some anti depression med thats gonna make me not GAF, and turn me into a zombie.
Click the link I posted and start there. You will see therapists in your area. Look at their profiles and see who will be a good match. It's really that easy.
A primary care Dr isn't a MHP.
I'm proud of you for recognizing the need for help. That shows you possess the bravery needed to reach out and make an appointment.

Last edited:
Click the link I posted and start there. You will see therapists in your area. Look at their profiles and see who will be a good match. It's really that easy.
I primary care Dr isn't a MHP.
I'm proud of you for recognizing the need for help. That shows you possess the bravery needed to reach out and make an appointment.
Thanks, I really appreciate that. I am looking through the list of therapists in my area.

I think I have also put this off for so long because, there is a feeling of weakness by admitting that I have an issue, even though I know in reality, it's not. I guess its hard to break an assumption you've had for 20+ years.

I'm super busy at work. But mental health is a huge deal for me and you deserve some help. :)
I used to have anxiety, bad. Like see my heart beating through my shirt bad. Couldn't sleep, mind racing, the usual.
In short, lay off the meds until you get an accurate evaluation and diagnosis from a mental health professional. You need to get to the core of your anxiety, not mask the symptoms.
It took me a few visits to determine I can be codependent, a people pleaser and need to learn to detatch. Read some books, was diligent with appointments with my therapist and most importantly, i applied what I was being taught when the situation presented itself.
It worked.
I react completely differently to situations than I once did. I do it an dsleep like a baby. It can work for you.
Start here and be brave enough to be vulnerable: Psychology Today: Health, Help, Happiness + Find a Therapist
Were you ever prescribed anything to take?

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I am looking through the list of therapists in my area.

I think I have also put this off for so long because, there is a feeling of weakness by admitting that I have an issue, even though I know in reality, it's not. I guess its hard to break an assumption you've had for 20+ years.
Dude, I'm a diff building, truck driving, scars on my face, 6'3" 240# man. If any SOB wants to call me weak for seeking mental health help, you can make some popcorn and watch the show that's about to happen.
It takes balls to admit you need help. That's nothing short of admirable.

I was prescribed to get to the root of the problems and address them naturally. :smokin:
See at the moment, I address my problems, but I end up bring up stuff that I have bottled up, so the beginning of the convo is about one thing, but its end up being about something I have been holding onto...which is never my intention, but I can see how that would be confusing/irritating to the other person.

See at the moment, I address my problems, but I end up bring up stuff that I have bottled up, so the beginning of the convo is about one thing, but its end up being about something I have been holding onto...which is never my intention, but I can see how that would be confusing/irritating to the other person.
A therapist will give you the tools to make sense out of all of that. That's how it works

I was able to control mine for years with exercise & staying active. Until that just didn't cut it anymore & it was controlling me. I spoke to my doctor mid 2020 & was diagnosed with anxiety & depression. She prescribed me a low dose medication & encouraged me to speak to a therapist. I've been taking medication since that point & it's made a world of difference. I can promise, it hasn't made me a zombie or changed my personality. If anything, I feel more like me! I started with weekly phone sessions with a counselor to ensure the medicine was a good fit, discuss side effects, & the next steps for treatment.

Last edited:
I'll second (or 3rd/4th....hell, I'll add my vote to) what @Jody Treadway said about finding a MHP. Little peek in the window of my dark soul:

I've talked with a shrink with the VA on and off for years. At first, I thought the same thing you did -- I don't need this, it's a sign of weakness, etc. etc. I was seeing her not for anxiety, but for depression issues related to ghosts of my past. I stopped seeing her because I was too damn stubborn and proud to do what she was asking me to do, which was rip open some wounds and truly address what was going on.

I turned to self-medicating with booze. I did that for quite some time. I'll honestly admit, and some people in here are all too aware that this self-medication turned me into an angry, destructive (nearly self-destructive) individual. Until one night, when it nearly went way too far. I "woke up," for lack of a better term, and saw myself on the brink of losing literally everything.

I started doing the things the doc was trying to get me to do. Baby steps...making some self improvement. I will tell you exactly what Jody said as well - it takes strength and courage to admit you need help. Kudos for recognizing that, and wanting to take the next steps.

I cold-turkey quit the liquor for a year. I finally will allow myself a taste now, but that's it....just a nip every now and again. Not sure if that's something you'd want to consider too. All I'll say is it was making me worse, but I didn't see it until it was nearly too late.

Finding a professional therapist will give you the tools you need to fix the problem. Good luck, and I hope you find the help you need.

I'll second (or 3rd/4th....hell, I'll add my vote to) what @Jody Treadway said about finding a MHP. Little peek in the window of my dark soul:

I've talked with a shrink with the VA on and off for years. At first, I thought the same thing you did -- I don't need this, it's a sign of weakness, etc. etc. I was seeing her not for anxiety, but for depression issues related to ghosts of my past. I stopped seeing her because I was too damn stubborn and proud to do what she was asking me to do, which was rip open some wounds and truly address what was going on.

I turned to self-medicating with booze. I did that for quite some time. I'll honestly admit, and some people in here are all too aware that this self-medication turned me into an angry, destructive (nearly self-destructive) individual. Until one night, when it nearly went way too far. I "woke up," for lack of a better term, and saw myself on the brink of losing literally everything.

I started doing the things the doc was trying to get me to do. Baby steps...making some self improvement. I will tell you exactly what Jody said as well - it takes strength and courage to admit you need help. Kudos for recognizing that, and wanting to take the next steps.

I cold-turkey quit the liquor for a year. I finally will allow myself a taste now, but that's it....just a nip every now and again. Not sure if that's something you'd want to consider too. All I'll say is it was making me worse, but I didn't see it until it was nearly too late.

Finding a professional therapist will give you the tools you need to fix the problem. Good luck, and I hope you find the help you need.
This is good to hear. I like hearing from people who have experience. I have never considered myself a drinker. I drink socially and after a bad day at work or a stressful situation going on, I'll have a drink or two, sometimes 3. But I can also stop drinking at any moment, which I've done plenty of times and I find new ways to keep my mind busy and try to not let my anxiety get the best of me, which normally works. My biggest fear is falling into depression. I don't think I have ever been at that point. It more of me obsessing over things that I don't need to obsess over that just fester and fester. For example, the last 2 days, I have been working at a different building than I normally work at, with people I do not know, and while that is not a big deal, it is pulling me out of my normal routine and things that I am familiar with and while I know that its really not a big deal, I can't tell that to my head. I'm not nervous, I'm not really anxious. I just feel out of place. I feel because I am being pulled out of my comfort zone temporarily, it just throws my emotions and mood out of whack. Even though I know at 5:00 this afternoon, I'll be done, it's just a constant thought I have and its usually things like that, that bring out that "obsessive" part.

Good advice given in all the comments above. I'd say don't neglect a visit to a primary physician. Sometimes there can be an underlying physical cause. Keep a journal of what you eat, physical activity, moods & emotions to see if you find a link. Pay attention to salt/sodium intake. I had some weird stuff going on last year, hallucinations and stuff...turned out my B12 was very low, which causes neuro stuff. I am in an online support group for my allergy (alphagal) and many folks have found that episodes of depression, anxiety, and panic attacks can be part of their anaphylactic reactions, and occasionally the only reaction they have to an exposure.

I had a PTSD thing happening a couple of years ago. Talked about it in the Garage. I talked to a lot of folks (not professionals, just people that would listen, and that I trusted). Some had similar experiences to share. Talking it out helped me to compartmentalize it, and store those memories away in a way they didn't keep coming to the surface. Some folks were a great help, just by listening, some gave advice, and some not so much. Point being, you might have to try a couple of different MHP's to find one that suits your style and needs. You might need someone that gives meds, gives great advice, or is just a great listener.

Dps wife. Are there genetic type tests that will eliminate the trial and error and time to get closer to the med that works?

Dps wife. Are there genetic type tests that will eliminate the trial and error and time to get closer to the med that works?

Renee based this question on an article she read recently...there is evidently a genetic link to some forms of depression/anxiety. Maybe @RatLabGuy has something to say on this.

Didn't read all the responses, but your mental health should be #1...don't let anyone tell you any different, don't feel silly for asking questions, don't look at it like some kinda stigma. Next, take the first appointment you can get. My wife is actively on anxiety meds, takes some tweaks to get the dosages just right so she doesn't zombie out, or so the dose isn't ineffective. Especially tough when she was pregnant and hormonal and could only take certain brands and different doses of those brands. But her doctors have always been pretty swift in making those changes, like a max of 30 days. I have panic attacks, not often, but do get them...I've gotten to the point now where I can tell when I'm on my way to having one, so I can usually find a way to diffuse it before I get too bad off, but before I knew what it/they were...I thought I was literally dying.

I talked to my regular doctor, saw a therapist for over a year, would call/text @Jody Treadway (come to find out, we had a lot of the same things going on and he was super helpful) hell, I'd talk to just about anyone I knew and trusted that would listen. It helped. A lot of people that know me never knew anything was wrong.

You gotta do what's good for you. Can't be decent to your family if you aren't decent to yourself.

Personally, I tried meds at first and they made it worse. However, I only tried the one kind and decided I'd like to do it without them. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of helpful ones out there. Definitely need a doctor that will listen to you when trying new meds. If you don't like it or how it makes you feel, say something. It can take several tries.

Admittance IS the first step, but I was never scared to go for it. I knew something was wrong and didn't know how to fix it myself.

I'll be the first to raise my hand and say I struggle with depression, anxiety, and thoughts of self harm. At time's it's absolutely crippling and I've done a lot of crying.

Shit man, I spent two weeks in a psych ward for trying to kill myself when I went crazy back in 2019 after my brain damage.

@ramjo and his wife came and visited me in the looney bin. :)

The only reason I'm doing as well as I am now, is because:
1. God.
2. Wife/Family
3. Prescription drugs.
4. Therapy.
5. Awesome friends like @ramjo and his wife.

Don't turn down any of those things. They make life infinitely easier.

Oh. I will add that since I've stopped drinking, things have also gotten much better. Anxiety/Depression/Suicidal Ideation are all bad things to mix with alcohol.

And as for being weak? I'm bigger than @Jody Treadway. :)

(But I have soft hands from working on a keyboard all day....)

For me it was gut health and sleep.

Get a food sensitivity test from everlywell.com. It’s like $100 I think. Stop eating what it says to stop eating. Night and day difference for me when I took eggs and almonds out of my diet. And yes I’m talking about fatigue, anxiety, depression. That’s my first advice to anyone in this situation it helped me so much.

Sleep. If you wake up at night constantly or wake up with the sudden urge to pee you’ve probably stopped breathing. Could be because you’re fat or could be because your neck and jaw is just built shitty. It’s the latter for me. I’m 5’10”’and 185, but when I relax my mouth falls open and my tongue falls back closing my throat. If I don’t sleep with my mouth piece I will snore, stop breathing and wake up multiple times at night. That spirals into fatigue and unnecessary anxiety about life for the next few days. If you’re fat, get not fat.

Honestly, I’d put both at these higher on my attention scale then therapy. Therapy has helped me more in professional growth. Fixing my shitty gut and sleep fixed my unnecessary anxiety issues. Start with the food test then identify why (if) you sleep shitty. Sedation (alcohol and drugs) are not sleep. They’ve wired people up to find this out. You might as well be awake while on ambien or jack daniels.

You’re just a big chemical reaction with some low voltage electrical circuits. You’re not special. Accept that, fix the machine, and it’ll be a lot easier.

Or it was for me.

Doc give me something to try once, pretty high strung already, about 3 days staying up non stop I said to hell with that shit. It’s took me a long time to realize what’s really important in life. It is what it is, don’t beat your wife love your children

For me it was gut health and sleep.
x2

Sleep deprivation, whether it's just not enough sleep, interrupted by other health factors, or interrupted by outside factors makes anything else 5x worse.

There's also lots of research and information available about how your gut impacts so many other aspects of your health and how sleep quality impacts your gut health.

Back