Anyone ever severely tear a hamstring?

R Q

Yesterday at work I got into a wasp nest and rather than do the smart thing and spray it and come back later to remove the nest, I hit it with a rake and they got after me. No problem, my 25 year old ass can move pretty good. Oh wait I forgot, I'm not 25 anymore! :shaking: I took two steps and my left hamstring let go and I hit the ground...hard!
Took a trip to Ortho Urgent Care and I have a severely strained and partially torn hamstring. Level 2 from what I understand. Level 3 is where it tears away from the hip, requiring surgery, hopefully mine isn't that bad, I go back tomorrow for them to check it. They couldn't touch me yesterday.
Who has had this issue? Mine hams are always tight, I just can't seem to get them to stretch so I eventually quit trying. I am self employed and work alone and can't just plug someone in tomorrow. I'm hoping that the weekend, a lot of ice, and the drugs they gave me will get me more mobile soon. What kind of time frame for healing will this be?

R Q

LOL, I am getting surgery next week for a torn bicep tendon for trying to hold too much falling weight. 12 weeks in a sling plus rehab gonna be great can't wait!
That sucks, I hate it for you. Its really tough on folks who are used to and enjoy doing stuff.

R Q

Went to my follow up appt this morning and doc put me on muscle relaxers. I had plans to get some office work done but they're making me loopy and I can't focus worth a crap! :laughing:

jcramsey

Any bruising? I tore mine pretty bad playing flag football probably 10 years ago and it looked like someone took a baseball bat to the back of my leg a couple days later.

Hopefully you recover quickly and can get back to work.

I just signed up for a softball league with some buddies. My #1 goal is to not pull anything lol.

R Q

Any bruising? I tore mine pretty bad playing flag football probably 10 years ago and it looked like someone took a baseball bat to the back of my leg a couple days later.

Hopefully you recover quickly and can get back to work.

I just signed up for a softball league with some buddies. My #1 goal is to not pull anything lol.
Yes bruised up quite nicely! I just got back from my MRI and will wait for results before I decide how I'm going to proceed. I'm self employed, I ain't got time for this crap!

Last edited:

R Q

Wow! Check this out! I just got home from the MRI and when I opened up my email I had the report. And from what I read its good that the tendon is intact but it is a bad tear but totally able to heal from what the Doc told me yesterday.
"
MUSCLES/TENDONS:

Gluteus muscles/tendons: Intact.. Mild ill-defined increased T2 signal identified within the right gluteus medius and minimus tendons.

Common hamstring origins: High-grade tear of the left hamstrings origin with retraction several centimeters. There may be a few intact remodeling medial fibers. Extensive associated edema within the soft tissues.. Ill-defined increased T2 signal identified within the right hamstrings origin.

Iliopsoas tendon: Intact..

IMPRESSION:
High-grade left hamstrings origin tear with retraction and associated edema/fluid.

Left gluteus maximum this and adductor musculature grade 1 strain.

This preceding findings are likely recent/acute."