Anyone Used Turo to rent a car?

I have several times.

Just know going in you are renting from a person. The experience will be different than with a national company. It will be less uniform. The insurance isnt as buttoned up if something happens.

Ive had great experiences and so-so experiences. I once got a vehicle that wreaked of cigs so bad it made my clothes stink walking into a business meeting...
Im a fan actually but expect variability.

We rented a Gladiator in Vegas through Turo back in 2021. Was great, paid extra to have them meet us at the airport and pick up at the airport. No problems at all. Even paid for a cleaning since I knew I could be pressed for time to go through a car wash. Looking around prices were similar or lower than rentals, but vehicle options were better. Owner bought the Gladiator rents it out which mage their car payment so in a few years it is paid for. Also they had a Vette they were doing the same.

Well this is good to know. I am going to look into it some more, but from what I see, I can get a car on Turo for half the price a rental car company is asking and sort of get to choose what car I want as well.

Basically the AirBnB of cars.
The $$ you're saving is what buys you less risk.

Last edited:

I was going to say the same thing...it's been a couple years since I've used it. But when I was on the West coast frequently, I used it all the time, prevented me getting Transit vans every time I landed at LAX, and it was cheaper. Last time I used it, it was still convenient and cheaper like 'old' Air BnB...and I'm curious how far off Turo is from having ridiculous 'must do lists' upon returning or fees for fees.

You pay less to accept more risk - on both sides Id argue.

Risk of what?
You pay less to accept more risk - on both sides Id argue.
I think Ron has it, it is more risk. On the renter side you have more risk of the car being less reliable and on the owner side you have the risk of your car coming back smelling like sweaty hooker. Turo has a good coverage to handle both, but getting the smell of hooker sweat out of your car is very difficult. Or so I've heard.

I think Ron has it, it is more risk. On the renter side you have more risk of the car being less reliable and on the owner side you have the risk of your car coming back smelling like sweaty hooker. Turo has a good coverage to handle both, but getting the smell of hooker sweat out of your car is very difficult. Or so I've heard.
agreed, I just wasn't sure what could be less risk.

Risk of what?
agreed, I just wasn't sure what could be less risk.
Apologies I see how the construction of my sentence was confusing.
Perhaps better said as the money you're not spending is what would have decreased your risk.
E.g. it's cheaper bc you may or may not have a great experience. All the above posts clarified.
See also: Chinese tools.

Used them for a week in Houston recently. Great experience. As with most things, "shop the seller" and you should be fine.

What kind of "trail" does it leave? I.E. can you pay with cash? If Matt "accidentally" runs over someone that's linked to him, is it more difficult to actually prove it was HIM, say if he gave Andy's info to the renter? :huggy:

"theoretically" of course :laughing:

I'd use them again also. The Gladiator I rented was in great condition, I had to cull through several before I found one that didn't explicitly forbid the vehicle to be taken off road. If you read through the descriptions you can get a good idea if you are getting a maintained vehicle or a hoopty. Risk is for sure different, however I found the transaction to be much easier and less hassle than a rental company. Owner brought me the vehicle to the airport and I wan on my way in 10 minutes. Then I just called and let her know we were heading to the airport and in 5 minutes we "returned" it. If I thought Charlotte had the same market as Vegas or some other destination city I'd buy a vehicle and in 3 years it would be paid for.
I called my insurance before we rented and they confirmed they would cover it. YMMV

What kind of "trail" does it leave? I.E. can you pay with cash? If Matt "accidentally" sets a prius on fire, is it more difficult to actually prove it was HIM, say if he gave Andy's info to the renter? :huggy:

Dahell man? I haven't even responded in this thread and you're assuming I'm the one who set the car on fire! :D

What kind of "trail" does it leave? I.E. can you pay with cash? If Matt "accidentally" runs over someone that's linked to him, is it more difficult to actually prove it was HIM, say if he gave Andy's info to the renter? :huggy:

Get the Premiere insurance and just have your fun.

Back