Are clearance lights required by law?

Dylan W.

lone resident of Bro-Lite Island
Do I have to have clearance lights on the top of my rv?
15534469229063949205509961866025.jpg

Are they required by law?
Why do I need them if not?

No, no, and trucker movies.

Really ? :shaking:
You have to have them, IF your over a certain size, 80" wide.
2 on the outer edges, 3 in the middle.
Their are more, to the length of the vehicle.

My bed camper doesn’t have them

Really ? :shaking:
You have to have them, IF your over a certain size, 80" wide.
2 on the outer edges, 3 in the middle.
Their are more, to the length of the vehicle.
2 outer lights are clearance lights
3 in middle to let others know over 80 inches wide

That’s because they see YOU before they see the camper!

Sorry, I had to. You know I love you brother!

I'll just assume you mean because my truck is red and therefore stands out :flipoff2:

As far as I’m tracking 80” or wider has to have them, commercial or not. My camper has them and so does the dually but when I re-wired our stock trailer I was told only side lights due to length (34’) but was told it didn’t need em in front only 3 reds in the back so I’m not sure cause our sticker is 80”+ ?? Guess I’m no help

Here you go. Enough lights & reflectors, for you? Even amber clearance light, & red rear corner markers. Plenty of Taillights, & might as well throw on some Safety Reflectors! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_20190327_141432177_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190327_141432177_HDR.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 301
I never understood why clearance lights are needed on the top of the front. If its dark, and you see headlights coming toward you, are you going to try to jump over the headlights, but get hit because you didn't know you needed to jump even higher because there were no clearance lights??

I never understood why clearance lights are needed on the top of the front. If its dark, and you see headlights coming toward you, are you going to try to jump over the headlights, but get hit because you didn't know you needed to jump even higher because there were no clearance lights??
Maybe so you can see if you'll clear the drive thru or a bridge? Though you should know how tall you are anyway.

It’s not about height clearance it’s about width. They put them up on the cab or on the front top of a trailer so supposedly you know that the vehicle approaching is X inches wide in the oncoming lane of travel. Of course trying to get people to navigate the red and white upside down triangle and not treat it as a red/white octagon is a struggle and it has the directions printed on it. Doubt most know what clearance lights actually mean.

Lol I had a similar thought, then the KITT lights entered my mind. Then I thought....Hell yeah, kitt could jump it.

Back