Arrowhead Campground questions

Jody Treadway

Croc wearing fool
I'm a newb when it comes to Uwharrie. Only been 2 times and the most recent was in 2006.

Soon I will towing a 34' GN with my wife's ZJ and our popup camper on it. Is there room at Arrowhead for a trailer of this size? I don't wanna get there and be shuffling in the dark trying to get backed out of some tight campsite.

Any first hand advice appreciated.

Cliffs: Will a big ass trailer fit at Arrowhead Campground?

I haven't stayed at Arrowhead in a while, but we used to reserve camp 3 I think it was. There was enough room for two cclb towrigs and 24' trailers so one rig should be fine. Pretty close to the entrance it's a double campsite. I'm pretty sure there would be more than enough room in it, but it costs more. There's also a site further in that is basically a pull through site. I'm not sure of any other sites but they used to list max length on the Forest service site where you could make reservations.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The place is set up in a circle and all campsites can be backed into at a good angle. If your site is not one of the small ones you should be fine. People bring big ass motorcoaches in there and one of our club members brings goose neck trailers with two Jeeps on them.

Technically you have to have a tag to drive on the gravel road to the trails. Book site 43, 44 or 45 I can pull my 30' rv with my 18' trailer right in..

But if you show them it was in a magazine, you'll be fine.

You are required to have a tag and proper registration to drive the gravel roads. I wouldn't suggest riding those roads without. For many years it was one of those things that they turned a blind eye to, or just didn't have the manpower to enforce. Over the past few years, there have been some serious injuries on these roads, which has ultimately led to tighter enforcement of this law. My buddy got blue lighted at night up there last year, and the fines were more than a minor inconvenience. He hadn't been drinking, and he wasn't driving like an asshole. He was just riding back to camp with his dad. I believe he got hit with a combination of state and federal fines, due to it being national forest.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I believe they did make him park the truck and walk.

Unless you give foote a reason to bother you he will leave you alone. That's been my experience

This is true, I drove three years on an expired liscense. It was all good till lillington pd had a road block waiting on me.

Take your fishing pole because you are gonna be bored with the trails.
As for the tag and insurance I would not risk it because it's a good drive from arrowhead to the trails and it only takes one dumbass pulling out in front of you to make your life pure hell.
The last couple times we were at Uwharrie the gravel roads were being patrolled.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

We'll just take Lisa's ZJ and our camper when we go.
I'd like to take both rigs for fun, but too much trouble...
I think the zj would be the better choice for comfort and maybe a chance of finding a challenge if it rains.
At least you can roll up the windows and turn the ac on when it gets dusty.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Put it this way, DON'T ride on the gravel roads without being legal, Foote will get you. There's not supposed to be alcohol in camp either but just keep it in a cup and out of sight and you'll be fine. If you take the ZJ on the trails you'll be fine most places unless it rains and then it gets very slick.

If you reserve the site you will see the ones that are double sites or pull through. I'd suggest getting one of them. I have parked my truck trailer and jeep off trailer on the smaller sites. I love URE it's where my wheeling adventure started. It's not really challenging for 42's unless it's wet but it's an 1:45 from the house and an easy day trip with rocks. It's 3-4 hours anywhere else with better rocks and Harlan is 8 hours...... When you going to go? If it's a weekend I'm free I'd gladly come up and ride.

If you reserve the site you will see the ones that are double sites or pull through. I'd suggest getting one of them. I have parked my truck trailer and jeep off trailer on the smaller sites. I love URE it's where my wheeling adventure started. It's not really challenging for 42's unless it's wet but it's an 1:45 from the house and an easy day trip with rocks. It's 3-4 hours anywhere else with better rocks and Harlan is 8 hours...... When you going to go? If it's a weekend I'm free I'd gladly come up and ride.
This is exactly what I say too. I can be in ure in about 2 hours. That's spending half an hour in the Hardee's in bisco eating breakfast. It's a joke on 42s unless it's wet, but I can get the tires dirty and ride some. Flats/shop is 3.5 hours, Harlan 8 too.

It's seems I break more shit in ure than I do anywhere else somehow.

This is exactly what I say too. I can be in ure in about 2 hours. That's spending half an hour in the Hardee's in bisco eating breakfast. It's a joke on 42s unless it's wet, but I can get the tires dirty and ride some. Flats/shop is 3.5 hours, Harlan 8 too.

It's seems I break more shit in ure than I do anywhere else somehow.

Yep! I have broken more there period! I'm glad someone gets it. I'll wheel URE with you anytime!

Yeah my problem too. Wheel all over the east coast. But I have more damage From Daniel then anywhere else lol.

Yeah my problem too. Wheel all over the east coast. But I have more damage From Daniel then anywhere else lol.
Hell it doesn't have to be Daniel for me!

Two years ago I broke the rear driveshaft double cardan going down a hill on dickey bell just past the pinch point where you tip towards a tree then immediately turn 90* and go down a short steep hill. It's not too far after you do the main hill climb. Anyway I was limping out in fwd (twin stick ftw) and going over the bridge on the gravel road just before hunt camp, the front yoke busted and threw the slip yoke on the front shaft into the woods. Dad had to pull me to the outpost with a strap and I had to winch on to the trailer[emoji23] .

That's the second time I've destroyed both driveshafts in one outing there! I slid down a muddy hill on dutch John once and turned both right side h1 wheels into tacos. The flat centers bent when 6000 lbs of truck hit a rut and stopped suddenly. I've upgraded to pressed centers now.

I exploded a clutch disc on dutch John once by clutching in on a downhill with the doubler engaged, it over revved the disc, the list goes on and on.

My family has been going to URE since the 70's and we have broke a lot of stuff also, a bunch of flops!!!. We camp at Arrowhead most of the time, I live 18 miles away but enjoy camping at URE. Look on-line on the reservations site to book your site and they will give you a description of the site with the length of camper that will fit. I have a 34' camper and car trailer, we always have enough room if we pick the larger camp sites. When Driving on the gravel roads we all need to be legal, we have enough people already that litters and drives off the trail that they could shut it down so we don't need to add fuel to the fire. Also we have been pull aside for no tag, went through several road blocks, eventually you will get caught if you break the law!!!

Back