ATV poll on News14

According to that bill all ATV riders must wear a helmet and have eye protection. The news reports I've heard about it have not mentioned that, only the age and engine restrictions. Has the bill been passed yet?

Gary R

I got an email from my state senator last night. He said it was submitted in committee on the 19th. He will be adding an amendment to it that would allow 6-12 year olds to ride smaller ATV's. The committee voted down the proposal to ban anyone under 16 from riding one.

I don't think any of it is a good idea to me. a 15 year old is too big for a 90cc quad! Its the parents responsibility to control what their kids ride, not the governments, if the parents wanna let their kid ride one, or a bigger one then so be it. The worst thing that can happen is natural selection in my opinion.

Will this be enforceble on private land?? I mean, a kid can learn to drive a vehicle in a field at the family farm legally, but not an ATV?

Kevin,

Just what we need, more laws. Govt. hand-holding, I just don't know how we would ever make it without big brother.

My specific problems with it are ....

"(d) No person shall operate an all‑terrain vehicle in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger or cause injury or damage to any person or property." <------- this is a judgement call that I should be able to make for myself and should not be written into a law.

AND

"§ 20‑171.15. Safety training and certificate.

(a) On or before May 1, 2006, every all‑terrain vehicle operator born on or after January 1, 1990, shall possess a safety certificate indicating successful completion of an all‑terrain vehicle safety course sponsored or approved by the All‑Terrain Vehicle Safety Institute.

(b) On or before October 1, 2006, every all‑terrain operator shall possess the safety certificate required by subsection (a) of this section."

Give me a break.

is riding a wheelie on my 400ex through my front yard careless and wreckless? So does that make me a law breaker and they should lock me up? :D

Someone please find out if these proposals will effect private land or only state/federal parks and other public areas

Flipper said:
Someone please find out if these proposals will effect private land or only state/federal parks and other public areas

I can't see any possible way for them to enforce it on private property.

And if i'm reading that right their complaining about 182 ATV related deaths in 20 years!? Thats not a very high number if you ask me (1982-2002).

I don't have to worry about this since i'm way over any of those age limits, but I still don't appreciate the government trying to regulate that crap. I'd like them to try and make me get a safety certificate after i'v been riding for years on dirt bikes and now I got a Quad. I had to wait until I was 18 to even get on a jet ski because of similar garbage, but you can take a safety course online and get a certificate at 16 that allows you to ride, I was almost 18 already then though anyway. I guess the water craft thing seems a little more reasonable to me, it is more dangerous and requires a little more mature thinking and common sense than riding an ATV I think. The whole ATV deal is rediculous I think though.

One provision I actually I agree with: (e) No person shall operate an all‑terrain vehicle on any public street, road, or highway except for purposes of crossing that street, road, or highway.

Currently you have to "walk" your atv across the street

Flipper said:
One provision I actually I agree with: (e) No person shall operate an all‑terrain vehicle on any public street, road, or highway except for purposes of crossing that street, road, or highway.

Currently you have to "walk" your atv across the street

How do you "walk" and ATV accross a road? Its not like its a 200 lb dirt bike, some of those utility quad weigh upwards of 600+ lbs! I don't think I could hardly "walk" my 400ex Sportrax accross a road, I do ride it accross a road quit frequently though.

And its already plenty illegal to operate them on public roads anyway, so thats nothing new.

After reading some more on the news site its a 1000 dollar fine and a misdemeanor if you don't get the safety certificate, and that applies to all riders. Even us guys who are well over 18 years old now, thats just retarded, if it passes I don't plan on getting it, I don't need one, and I wanna see them chase me down to fine me :cool:

^^ I know its almost impossible to walk most ATV's, but my best friend got a ticket for riding across the street from his house into a field, I've seen and held it.

In my opinion this is a knee jerk reaction to a bad accident earlier in the year. A father was riding with his 2 daughters and a family friend on the same atv. He was trying to outrun the sheriff and wrecked killing himself and seriosuly injuring his daughters.

Kevin Lawler said:
In my opinion this is a knee jerk reaction to a bad accident earlier in the year. A father was riding with his 2 daughters and a family friend on the same atv. He was trying to outrun the sheriff and wrecked killing himself and seriosuly injuring his daughters.

And if I read this right, this law isn't going to have any affect on that accident, first of all, the guy was old enough to ride obviously, and its already illegal to be on the road, and every ATV I have seen specifically states to never ride passengers.

So that accident really doesn't have anything to do with bill their talking about in my opinion, people will still ride passengers and be fools regardless of whether that bill gets passed or not and that accident would have still happened.

05Coly said:
And if I read this right, this law isn't going to have any affect on that accident, first of all, the guy was old enough to ride obviously, and its already illegal to be on the road, and every ATV I have seen specifically states to never ride passengers.

So that accident really doesn't have anything to do with bill their talking about in my opinion, people will still ride passengers and be fools regardless of whether that bill gets passed or not and that accident would have still happened.

Sounds like the same people trying to ban guns. All the laws are already there, just enforce the ones we have. It's just overkill. :rolleyes:

As much as i hate to see it im glad that someone is finally taking action about all this crap. Im tired of hearing about people (especially children) getting killed on fourwheelers because of something stupid. It makes everyone else look bad that actually try to do things right and just have a little fun. Also how hard is it to push an atv across the road? I do it everytime i cross the road, and no i dont own a small fourwheeler. I own a Raptor which is over 400 pounds dry weight, and i just sold a kodiak 450 with 27 inch mud tires and i pushed both of those across the road everytime. Yes i used to just ride across until the one time that a cop saw me, chased me, almost ran over me with his car, and pulled his gun on me. So needless to say i try to obey the law because cops are everywhere in our area. All this just really gets to me because its gonna end up being like the late 80's all over again when there were all the problems with the 250R 3 wheelers and fourwheelers and its really going to hurt everyone that rides.

I don't have a problem with outlawing kids riding on adult machines but my 9yo kid rides a 50cc youth model under my direct supervision. Are you saying that he shouldn't be allowed to do that?

toyota231 said:
As much as i hate to see it im glad that someone is finally taking action about all this crap. Im tired of hearing about people (especially children) getting killed on fourwheelers because of something stupid. It makes everyone else look bad that actually try to do things right and just have a little fun. Also how hard is it to push an atv across the road? I do it everytime i cross the road, and no i dont own a small fourwheeler. I own a Raptor which is over 400 pounds dry weight, and i just sold a kodiak 450 with 27 inch mud tires and i pushed both of those across the road everytime. Yes i used to just ride across until the one time that a cop saw me, chased me, almost ran over me with his car, and pulled his gun on me. So needless to say i try to obey the law because cops are everywhere in our area. All this just really gets to me because its gonna end up being like the late 80's all over again when there were all the problems with the 250R 3 wheelers and fourwheelers and its really going to hurt everyone that rides.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. There are already too many laws on the books now.
What they need to do is start charging parents with RESPONSIBILITY. I know 2 kids that were killed on a 4-wheeler, only about a mile from my house. You know what they were doing? They were jumping up a small embankment onto the ROAD!! In their very own FRONT YARD, with their very own PARENTS WATCHING. Jumped right into the side of a car. I hate to say it and sound cold, but until parents start making smart decisions for their kids and teaching them how to be adults, we will continue to decline as a society.
Just like stupid littering on our trails or going off the trails, it's all about parenting and how they were raised. My dad would have made me get out pick up the trash and possibly walk home.
Laws aren't going to stop disrespect and stupidity. Laws only stop the law abiding. Which leaves out most of the people causing the problem anyway.

I was in Uwharrie last week and there was a quad with 1 adult and 3 kids (6-10 years old) sitting in the front and rear racks one helmet dangling from the rear rack. There was plenty of helmetless dumbasses riding with their youngsters in their laps.
There are good points to this that I like to see.
--helmet laws
--only one passenger and driver

I remember when I was 11 and they past a pwc law saying you must be 16 or 13 with boating course. I had to ride on the back for 2 years but now I feel it is a good idea cause those things are very dangerous just like ATVs in the uneducated hands

toyota231 said:

I"m not brave enough to push my quad accross the road I normally cross, visibility coming out of my driveway is limited and its much easier to see down the hill if i'm standing up, I would feel MUCH safer riding accross than being a turtle and pushing it accross.

Kevin Lawler said:
I don't have a problem with outlawing kids riding on adult machines but my 9yo kid rides a 50cc youth model under my direct supervision. Are you saying that he shouldn't be allowed to do that?

No that shouldn't be outlawed because there are responsible parents out there that actually do watch there kids. I got my first fourwheeler when i was 3 years old and up until this year i have not been without one. I have had every sport fourwheeler Yamaha makes( including a raptor, banshee, blaster, warrior, and i have also had a timberwolf and a kodiak 450 and more). During those 18 years i have only had two wrecks and none were seriouse and this includes the racing i have done. My parents stayed right with me when i rode and they taught me very early the proper riding techniques and i beleive that has helped me stay safe. That is what needs to be done with children and i am glad to see that there are parents out there that will take responsability and watch there kids. All i am really saying is that something needs to be done about all the idiots out there that are helping to cause the demise of the sport. I dont agree with all the laws but im just glad to see that something is finally being done thats all.

Hey,

the whole "walk" your atv across the street is just stupid. that's more dangerous than riding across the street. you're moving slower and can't get out of the way quickly if a car comes flyin' down the road.

but i don't really understand provision (e). it's already illegal to ride an atv on a public street. i guess the point is to make "crossing" the street ok, which is good.

i really think people should be more responsible for their actions. some general guidelines are helpful, but really it's a parents responsibility to ensure their childs safety. i do think it's stupid to ride w/o a helmet though. i had a quad before my CJ, and no matter how hot it was, i always wore my helmet. never even came close to needing it except for one time, and that one time made me realize how quickly you can loose control and head for a tree, lol.

later,
bigmac

My son, the outlaw

Excerpt from an email from my senator. He was the one that introduced the amendment.

"I want you to know I receive 100s of e-mails. Your correspondence with me is the first e-mail that drew my attention to an issue I knew little about. Upon review of articles and your input, I ended up agreeing with your position and advocated your position."

Committee Approves Bill To Bar N.C. Children From Driving ATVs

POSTED: 2:56 pm EDT April 26, 2005
UPDATED: 4:18 pm EDT April 26, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. -- In one of the few states that imposes essentially no restrictions on who may drive an all-terrain vehicle, a Senate committee approved a measure Tuesday that would block children younger than 12 years old from operating the popular motorbikes.

The bill would outlaw young children from driving three- and four-wheeled off-road vehicles, while those age 12 to 15 could operate smaller ATVs under an adult's supervision.

Robert Schafermeyer, a doctor at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, said his hospital treats dozens of children annually - nine so far in 2005 - who have been hurt while using ATVs. Many suffer severe head, neck or spine injuries, sometimes causing permanent disabilities, he said.

"As a physician and father, this is painful to watch," Schafermeyer said. "As a father, I ask you to (pass) this. We should protect our children."

The measure would also set requirements for safety equipment, safe operation and areas where the vehicles could legally be used. It would also require all ATV drivers to complete a safety course by October 2006.

Violations would be misdemeanors, with punishments varying from a maximum fine of $200, to 60 days in jail and a fine of up to $1,000 for disregarding the age restrictions or operating an ATV on public roads and highways.

If passed by the full Senate, the measure would become law effective Oct. 1.

North Carolina is now one of five states with essentially no restrictions on ATV use.

The state was ranked 10th nationally with 189 ATV-related deaths from 1982-2002, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Tom Vitaglione, co-chairman of the North Carolina Child Fatality Task Force, said the number of ATV-related deaths of children under 16 increased from five in 1999 to 11 last year.

Earlier this month, a 2-year-old girl died and her 5-year-old brother was hospitalized after the ATV they were riding -- being driven by a 9-year-old -- struck a concrete wall in Wilkes County.

The committee, voting 7-6, narrowly rejected an amendment to allow children aged six to 12 to ride smaller versions of the vehicles.

Committee members debated whether setting the restrictions would simply tempt young ATV enthusiasts to turn up their noses at the law and whether they would have any measurable impact on the statistics.

Sen. Martin Nesbitt, D-Buncombe, argued that it's up to parents to protect their offspring by educating them about life's dangers, not closeting them.

"You can't just prohibit children from doing things they're naturally going to try," he said.

But the bill's author, Sen. Bill Purcell, said the tendency for most citizens would be to obey the rules, if any exist, and that would have a positive effect on mortality rates.

He pointed to the state's system of graduated drivers' licenses, which grants teenage drivers progressively greater freedom on the road as they age.

The program has been credited with cutting the death rate of 16-year-old motorists by 34 percent since it was started in 1997, the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center reported last month.

"If you don't get on an ATV, you're probably not going to get killed by one," Purcell, D-Scotland, said.

Come on people, these machines are not operated on public roads and are not registered! 189 deaths in 20 years? I know children that have been killed on these, but as stated above it typically has alot to do with the lack of quality supervision. Thay being said, more people were killed by lighting in Florida in the last 20 years than that. LIGHTNING!!!! ATV's are machines, much like tractors, lawnmowers, and even buggies. One day after their are no more public OHV areas and you are reduced to wheeling on private land and the government still steps in to regulate your tire size, height, etc, you will change your tune.

Back