ATV poll on News14

Sen Doug Berger (D-Granville) introduced an amendment to 189 in committee that would allow 6-12 year olds to ride smaller youth models. I think he agreed with ATVers and the CPSC and ANSI that 6-12 year olds can safely ride factory youth models. The amendment was defeated 7-6 in committee. He was promised support from Republicans. The only hope we have is for the bill to be defeated in the full senate vote or that this amendment be re-introduced on the senate floor. Sen Berger told me he wouldn't introduce it if he thought it would be defeated. Email your senator and ask him to support the amendment.

I won't weigh in with my opinions on whether or not this is a good thing, but I will make a couple of technical clarifications on the bill itself and the information posted here.

The Senate Commerce committee passed a committee substitute yesterday. I can't give you a link to the new version yet, because it hasn't been updated online, I can only access it through my internal network. The key thing they changed is that the safety certificate now only has to be possessed by any operator born on or after January 1, 1990 and they have until October 1, 2006 to get it.

An additional clarification on the criminal penalties. The news article didn't have it quite right. The only offenses that are a misdemeanor are the age restrictions, the prohibited acts by sellers, and the driving on the road, interstate or limited-access highway (it still has the provision allowing you to drive to cross the road). Those offenses are Class 2 misdemeanors which are punishable by a fine of up to $1,000, however as a practical matter the fine would likely be much lower. A first offense would be punishable by up to 30 days of community service punishment. You would have to have prior criminal offenses to be punished at a higher level and the absolute max would be 60 days active time (not likely for this type of offense, but possible).

All other violations of the provisions of the bill (such as the eye protection & helmet) would be infractions (non-criminal offenses) punishable by a maximum fine of $200.

Additionally, just as a point of information. If someone under 16 is charged with a misdemeanor, they would be dealt with in juvenile court and it would be on their juvenile record, which is a civil record and could not be used against them later.

Just want to make sure everyone has their facts straight.

This makes me so mad I can't see straight.

We should change our national anthem.

"Land of the free and home of the brave" to..

"Land of the overregulated and home of the chickens."

I bought one of these deathtraps (tiny 2 stroke ATV) from Kevin Lawler for my daughter (now age 6 1/2) to ride and she's had a blast. I've got the throttle limited so her top speed is about 10mph, she wears her helmet, and she knows how to operate the brakes when faced with a concrete wall.

I guess I'll need to toss it in the dumpster, since no 12 year old will want an ATV this size, and buy a much safer (HA HA HA) dirt bike for her.

When and where will this crap end? We all have to make our own choices about what is safe enough. Well, I guess not, we'll let mommy government decide for us.

Stuff happens in life. There are no guarantees. Do you want to live every day afraid of dying? That's the way these regulations seem to me. People can't accept accidents or bad luck these days. I'm really surprised skateboards are still legal.

Legal Eagle, thanks for the information, very clear, you should be in broadcasting. I am glad to hear most of these laws will not carry criminal consequences, otherwise I'd be in court off and on for awhile. john, you make an interesting comment on dirtbikes, I've seen many more dirtbike spills than atv spills at URE

Flipper said:
Legal Eagle, thanks for the information, very clear, you should be in broadcasting. I am glad to hear most of these laws will not carry criminal consequences, otherwise I'd be in court off and on for awhile. john, you make an interesting comment on dirtbikes, I've seen many more dirtbike spills than atv spills at URE

Kind of interesting that you can buy a ATV for your kid but you can a dirtbike, but in my eyes a dirt bike isn't quite as dangerous other than the fact their a little faster and harder to ride. But usually falling over on a dirt bike doesn't cause as many severe injuries because of their size and weight compared to an ATV rolling over somebody.

RALEIGH

The sponsor of a bill to forbid use of all-terrain vehicles by children under 12 pulled the bill from the N.C. Senate floor yesterday after complaints from hunters, farmers and tracks where youngsters race ATVs.

But the mother and grandmother of a Wilkes County 2-year-old who was killed this month in an ATV accident said yesterday that no one under 16 should ride the vehicles.

"I don't want anybody else to lose their baby and have to go through what I'm going through," said Christina Carver, the mother of Analyss Marie Carver. "That was my baby, and I've lost her and I can't have her back."

Analyss was killed and her 5-year-old brother received a concussion on April 17 when she pushed the accelerator on a full-size ATV that a 9-year-old had just dismounted. The vehicle slammed into a wall.

"She didn't know how to push it and make it go slow or go fast, and it just went all the way," Christina Carver said.

Though the 9-year-old was a family friend who regularly rode an ATV, Carver said, no one under 16 should be allowed to use the vehicles. "I do not believe they have the mental ability to know whether they should or shouldn't cut it off," she said. "Children just don't have that judgment.... Anything can happen in a split second."

Analyss's grandmother, Diane Gentry, echoed her daughter's words.

"I do not think anyone under the age of 16 should be allowed to operate them. They are dangerous in the hands of anyone not capable of making such a decision," Gentry wrote in an e-mail message to the Winston-Salem Journal.

"And it seems like some parents are not capable of making the same decision either, so the law should step in and make that decision for them," she wrote.

Though pediatricians and emergency-room physicians say that no one under 16 should ride ATVs, the industry says that riders as young as 6 can safely ride vehicles sized for youngsters.

A bill in the Senate compromises by banning the use of ATVs by children under 12. It would require all riders to complete a safety course and wear helmets. And it would ban the use of ATVs on public roads and rights of way.

But the sponsor, Sen. William Purcell, D-Scotland, pulled the bill from the floor before it could be debated yesterday. Purcell said he was responding to complaints from hunters who use ATVs to reach deer stands and duck blinds, farmers who use them to take feed to animals, and a racing circuit with tracks in Elizabeth City and East Bend where young riders race ATVs.

"We may be exempting a few areas," Purcell said.

The restrictions on ATV use would be the first regulation of the vehicles in North Carolina. Purcell, a retired pediatrician, noted that states with safety regulations have half of the death rates among child ATV riders than states without regulations.

Purcell acknowledged that it might be difficult for deputies and other law-enforcement officers to enforce the proposed rules, especially on private property. "It is very difficult to police this," he said.

But he pointed to the state's success with laws on children's safety seats and the reduction in deaths of 16-year-olds that resulted after the state adopted graduated driver's licenses.

"I think there are law-abiding people out there. Once you pass a law, most people will abide by it," he said.

A study published last year in the journal Pediatrics compared ATV injuries and deaths among child ATV riders in North Carolina to those in Pennslyvania, which has regulated ATV use since 1985. Pennsylvania does not allow children under 10 to ride ATVs on public land or recreation areas and requires riders under 16 to pass a safety course. All riders must wear helmets.

"Living in Pennsylvania was associated with decreased risk factors for ATV injury, such as young age and riding unhelmeted," the researchers at UNC Chapel Hill and the University of Michigan concluded.

In 2002, the study said, children under 16 accounted for 33 percent of ATV-related deaths and 37 percent of ATV-related injuries reported to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Children under 12 accounted for 10 percent of the deaths.

But the staff of the Consumer Product Safety Commission recommended this year that the commission not adopt a ban on sale of ATVs for children because it would be too hard to enforce.

The safety commission "cannot control the behavior of consumers or prevent adults from allowing children to ride adult-sized ATVs," the report said.

I'm damn glad to hear that it was pulled. That woman who lost her child has a sad story, but ultamatly, what the hell was she doing letting a 2 year old on an atv without her?! Sorry if you think the government should raise your kid for you but you played, now it's time to pay! IT'S YOUR JOB TO RAISE YOUR KIDS! NOT THE GOVERNMENT'S! If you don't want to raise kids, DON'T HAVE THEM!

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Thank the Lord cooler heads have prevailed. My faith in NC has been restored

Kevin Lawler said:
RALEIGH

But the sponsor, Sen. William Purcell, D-Scotland, pulled the bill from the floor before it could be debated yesterday. Purcell said he was responding to complaints from hunters who use ATVs to reach deer stands and duck blinds, farmers who use them to take feed to animals, and a racing circuit with tracks in Elizabeth City and East Bend where young riders race ATVs.

"We may be exempting a few areas," Purcell said.

The restrictions on ATV use would be the first regulation of the vehicles in North Carolina. Purcell, a retired pediatrician, noted that states with safety regulations have half of the death rates among child ATV riders than states without regulations.

Purcell acknowledged that it might be difficult for deputies and other law-enforcement officers to enforce the proposed rules, especially on private property. "It is very difficult to police this," he said.

But he pointed to the state's success with laws on children's safety seats and the reduction in deaths of 16-year-olds that resulted after the state adopted graduated driver's licenses.

"I think there are law-abiding people out there. Once you pass a law, most people will abide by it," he said.

It doesn't sound like Purcell has given up on this bill completely.

In fact I heard on WRAL yesterday they were still going to vote tommorow

Back