Ball joints..what's this

Just an FYI. @shawn had a great point about that.
yeah understood.
I know they're not "great" but they weren't the $13 ones so for me that was a big upgrade lol.

Oh yeah forgot to mention I got to use my new Ball joint service tool that my wife bought me for Hannukah. I just need to make a beveled piece for easier install otherwise it was nice to not have to go borrow a used auto parts set that half the time is missing pieces or just buggered up.

yeah understood.
I know they're not "great" but they weren't the $13 ones so for me that was a big upgrade lol.

Oh yeah forgot to mention I got to use my new Ball joint service tool that my wife bought me for Hannukah. I just need to make a beveled piece for easier install otherwise it was nice to not have to go borrow a used auto parts set that half the time is missing pieces or just buggered up.

To echo...
I use a piece of tube to drive the lower up into the C and a larger piece to drive the upper down into the C. Generous amounts of anti seize FTW. It's not rocket science.

To echo...
I use a piece of tube to drive the lower up into the C and a larger piece to drive the upper down into the C. Generous amounts of anti seize FTW. It's not rocket science.
don't think I haven't looked this up many times in past years and most common results found was NO lol, go figure I actually listened and used the right tool :shaking: oh well it's a tool I've been wanting for years and I'm sure it will have many other uses now that I have one...possibly changing axle joints? maybe I won't have to beat the crap out of them to change joints haha

I use the tool on about every joint I press. Works fantastic if you have the right adapters.. I seem to recall doing 30 joints in a particular order that makes it easier. I think upper first, then lower, that way the tool can go through the C.

I use the tool on about every joint I press. Works fantastic if you have the right adapters.. I seem to recall doing 30 joints in a particular order that makes it easier. I think upper first, then lower, that way the tool can go through the C.

Just for the sake of explanation because your way is correct.
My process: Remove knuckle. Using air hammer and flat chisel I remove upper ball joint. Then I smack the C around the lower before inserting the air hammer THROUGH the upper BJ hole and pushing the lower out the bottom.
Then drive the lower up into the C and the upper down into the C.

I understood what you meant to do, I just think the press is easier.. of course there was that one axle I used to have that the upper joint kept working loose on.. I think the C was distorted

Back