Ball joints..what's this

marty79

Hey I'm redoing front end and this came with ball joints..what is it (that funky but thingy) . thank you
IMG_20181211_145155914_HDR.jpg

it's a ball joint.

If your referring to the threaded sleeve, that's for a d44 which uses the same ball joint.

the other thingy is a nut.

It's worth noting that you should only be using "problem solver" joints if you need problem solver joints. Once you use them once, you have to always use them, and may have to tack future ball joints in the sockets to keep them from moving.

It's worth noting that you should only be using "problem solver" joints if you need problem solver joints. Once you use them once, you have to always use them, and may have to tack future ball joints in the sockets to keep them from moving.
I wasn't aware that these were special ball joints. These went in nice ad tight like supposed to.

your referring to the threaded sleeve, that's for a d44 which uses the same ball joint.
Ok that's what I was referring to. Thank you

Dang wasn't aware that the ball joints we're the same on d44 as the 30, good to know for future reference.

I wasn't aware that these were special ball joints. These went in nice ad tight like supposed to.
Yeah, it's because they're oversized and opened up the bores when you pressed them in.

Yeah, it's because they're oversized and opened up the bores when you pressed them in.
ok, how can you tell these are "problem solvers?" just trying to learn here, especially for future use like you mentioned. Thanks

ok, how can you tell these are "problem solvers?" just trying to learn here, especially for future use like you mentioned. Thanks

The knurling...

Now if he thinks problem solvers means offset ball joints then I could see that too

so the ones that came out were smooth now that I think about it so every ball joint I've ever replaced though has had the grooves....so that means they were all "problem solvers??"

wait what...I'm confused?? I thought they all have the grooves in them

The knurling isn’t standard on all ball joints. Many OEM replacements don’t have knurling. Btw those “grooves” are called knurling if you haven’t noticed.

That threaded sleeve isn't what everybody posted....
It is the insert that goes into the knuckle to set the working height of the upper and lower ball joint.
Press both joints in.
Use torq wrench to tighten lower nut.
Use speacialty socket to tighten special insert.( the funny thing you mentioned)
Then and only then tighten upper castle nut to spec.

Here's the socket.
1544572685503-1871594203.jpg

And no. It does not set any steering angles. It's not a twin I beam.
It's also concentric.

Screenshot_2018-12-11-19-04-12.png

This should help.

I just realized I'm not an a-hole.
Yeah me.

Carry on.

That threaded sleeve isn't what everybody posted....
It is the insert that goes into the knuckle to set the working height of the upper and lower ball joint.
Press both joints in.
Use torq wrench to tighten lower nut.
Use speacialty socket to tighten special insert.( the funny thing you mentioned)
Then and only then tighten upper castle nut to spec.

Here's the socket.
View attachment 281929

And no. It does not set any steering angles. It's not a twin I beam.
It's also concentric.

View attachment 281931

This should help.
uhhhh ok that sounds a little tedious, I'm paranoid now lol.
So 1 install joints, Done!
2 put arm back on and tighten both upper and lower ball joint nuts but not all the way full throttle!?
3 put the special sleeve over the nut and tighten that special nut with special socket to the given torque spec
4 pull off special sleeve and done?

And yes you're not an a-hole lol ( but did I miss something) probably did as I'm slow

Look at the procedure on the buletin. A quick Google got me that.....there is a right way.
Re-read my post. Look at the torq specs on the sheet..

You'll get it.

Look at the procedure on the buletin. A quick Google got me that.....there is a right way.
Re-read my post. Look at the torq specs on the sheet..

You'll get it.
thank you very much btw

The adjusting sleeve is used in D44 axles like pre-80 Fords. I've never seen them used on D30s. On the Ford, the ball joint presses into the knuckle and gets bolted to the yoke of the axle housing. The threaded adjuster goes into the upper to adjust the preload.

The adjusting sleeve is used in D44 axles like pre-80 Fords. I've never seen them used on D30s. On the Ford, the ball joint presses into the knuckle and gets bolted to the yoke of the axle housing. The threaded adjuster goes into the upper to adjust the preload.
this actually makes sense, I've been looking into the D30 install for last 20min and I'm not finding anything on using that special nut with the 30, so I guess I'm ok then. thank you I've been kinda frustrated not finding any videos using it on D30 and thought all these years I was shown wrong and then doing it wrong

I use a piece of tube to drive the lower up into the C and a larger piece to drive the upper down into the C. Generous amounts of anti seize FTW. It's not rocket science.

Have you never replaced ball joints on a D30 before? Not flaming, but with all of the XJs you've rebuilt over the years, I assumed you had. Just seemed weird.

I use a piece of tube to drive the lower up into the C and a larger piece to drive the upper down into the C. Generous amounts of anti seize FTW. It's not rocket science.

Have you never replaced ball joints on a D30 before? Not flaming, but with all of the XJs you've rebuilt over the years, I assumed you had. Just seemed weird.
ha ha of course, but I've never had that little funky special nut in any of mine. I've also always bought cheapo parts store so this is the first time buying some good brand ball joints maybe that's why

ha ha of course, but I've never had that little funky special nut in any of mine. I've also always bought cheapo parts store so this is the first time buying some good brand ball joints maybe that's why

Those still aren't "good". The knurl will require all future ones to be knurled as well. Just an FYI. @shawn had a great point about that.

"Good" ones say Spicer on the box. The "real good" ones say Dynatrac or Rare Parts.

Back