Banner ads...

Is it possible to move them up so they are between the thread catagoey links (e.g. "board woes") and the "Welcome, etc" box on the right? That's already dead white space, would elimiate the newly created vertical space and more scrolling.

I am for the adds if it helps with the costs as long as we do not have any of those adds that automatically redirect.

To be quite honest, I didn't really notice the ads until a couple days ago, and that was because of this thread. I don't find them to be a bother at all, and great for the site. The thing I'm still having issues with/dislike is that damned new 'New Post' setup.

...as long as we do not have any of those adds that automatically redirect.

Nobody wants pop-ups or anything weird...

Like saf-t has said, it's a bit of an experiment and will probably change in size and location as we spend about a month figuring it out. The eventual goal is direct-sale ad space available to vendors.

Is it possible to move them up so they are between the thread catagoey links (e.g. "board woes") and the "Welcome, etc" box on the right? That's already dead white space, would elimiate the newly created vertical space and more scrolling.

Maybe eventually. I anticipate that the ad sizes, placement, and providers will change continually for the next month or so while we figure out what works and what doesn't. The end-goal metric is whether the obtrusiveness of the ad is offset by its income. If it doesn't pay, we might as well not even have it.

But we can't make those decisions until we have more data.

While in the data collection business your friendly local vendors....like hmmm a certain starving race series, I mean just for example.....would love to see their logo in a banner "up in lights"....

LOL

Isn't it possible with google to do something like ad exchange? Where they will advertise your site on similar sites and vice versa? Would be a good step IMO.

\

Google ad exchange is not what you think it is.

The ad exchange is real-time bidding site for ad inventory.

Can I buy space for my dealership, then put naked chicks in the banner space....just sayin.....it could be epic....

Can I buy space for my dealership, then put naked chicks in the banner space....just sayin.....it could be epic....

bow-chik-a-wow-wow

Can see it now...

New Era Motors... Buy the car, she comes with... Give a picture with every sale lol

@ Saf-t, oh alright. Well I am sure there are other 4x4 sites that would be willing to do it...

I just got this:

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at nc4x4.com contains elements from the site advertmyworld.com, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for advertmyworld.com.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.
I understand that visiting this site may harm my computer.

I copied and pasted it, could have taken a screenshot but didn't think of it.

Hmm... well, the ad came from google.

i always like getting on here,no ads were nice,local website why ads?,i guess another example of big companies taking over any advertising space available on the internet.
not to say ads are bad,if they were from local companies or vendors that actually support the site
i doubt if verizon or nationwide need more coverage to stay in business.

We basically have two options -- we can ask the users for more money to support the forum, or we can show some ads in exchange for that extra revenue. I can't see asking the users to shell out extra cash for what I really like to think of as a free forum.

Our software is currently set to take the highest-paying ad for every impression. So Verizon and Nationwide are supporting the site in a very direct way.

I've stated previously that my end goal is to offer direct ad sales to local vendors -- but there's quite a lot to work out on the back end before we can do that.

Maybe down the road, members who pay could view the site ad free... or something along those lines, for the people who have issues with it. I know some sites have those types of options, but again I dont know how complicated it is, just a suggestion for those it bothers.

Back