battery/ alt upgrade 4 winch?

JSEsterly

about to replace my batery and alternator in my YJ, and it occured to me if im buying a winch (soon) do i need to upgrade my alt/ battery to run one?

JSEsterly said:
about to replace my batery and alternator in my YJ, and it occured to me if im buying a winch (soon) do i need to upgrade my alt/ battery to run one?
You should.

It's a good idea.

Here is probably a lot more info than you really wanted.

Go with a high output alternator.
100 plus amps if you can afford it.
There are several posts on using OE High Amp alternators off high end vehicles from the same corporate line.
IIRC - Kevin Lawlor did a decent write up on a budget swap of this type a year or so ago. Might still be in the archives.

For the battery - you will get several answers.
The most common answer to brand will be an Optima.

From there the debate begins.

There are those who will say deep cycle (Yellow top) is best. Others will tell you go with a starting battery. (Red Top)
And you will get some who swear by the Marine battery (Blue Top)

Then
Single HD battery. Dual batteries. W/ and W/O isolator.
And on and on.

Here is my take on it. YMMV.

Deep cycle is intended for low amp draw for long periods.
It is also meant to handle (nearly) complete discharge and slow recharge. Hence the name *Deep Cycle*

A starting battery is designed to handle a high amp draw for short duration.
And be recharged at a high rate. Like that of a high amp alternator.

Winches are a high amp draw of moderate duration.
Yes, I know there are a lot of cases where you will have very long winch pulls. But in most of those cases the engine is running and the alternator is helping. So the battery rarely gets that deep discharge.

I feel a winch more closely resembles starter type usage.
So I believe in using a starting type battery for a winch.

To me the ideal set-up is one with a starting battery AND a deep cycle battery. Charged through an isolator. With a manual control so you can select Battery 1, Battery 2, or both.

Having said all that. Battery construction has come a long way in the last few years. The lines between true deep cycle and a dedicated starting battery have blurred. It used to be that using a deep cycle battery as a starting battery would guarantee a short life for that battery. And deep cycling a starting battery would kill it in no time. Not so true any more.

Bottom line from my POV. If you can only swing a single battery go for an Optima Red Top and a good high amp alternator. With that set-up you will be fine for 99% of your needs.

HTH

Ditto...

I'm no expert, so this with a grain of salt...

My trash is 30+ years old and 90% of the wiring straight out of Toledo. When "assembling" it all together 5 years ago, I pulled a used Delco alt. out of a pile and slapped it in. While it's getting a little tired bearing wise, it's still pumping at least 55Amps. I had a RedTop for several years and due to a faulty brakelight switch, thought I'd killed it... wouldn't hold a charge (recently started throwing it on a 2A charge for a few hours at a time & it looks like it *may* live to fight another day... will have to see :confused: ). I replaced it with a high CCA Exide spiral from Sam's (first Batt. had a bad cell and died after a month or so)...

During the past 5 years, I've had ONE *really* high amp draw situation...

Daniel in a flood (many inches of rain in a few hours) with ALL lights on, a 55W spot (no stoopid chrome KCs here!), the wipers on HI, the blower motor on HI, and straining the N.Hydraulics winch (rebadged REP8000... figure it *must* pull more amps than a "good" winch) for all it was worth for 30 minutes... 20 minute rest on the winch and another 15 minute pull (was open front & rear then :flipoff2: ) without any issues...

Everything else has been pulling stumps out single line, a few short pulls of my trash, & *MANY* pulls on others stuck/broken junk. While it may blow all the hell-in-a-handbasket on the NEXT trip out... I'd be hard pressed to justify "high output or dual" anything! Now, certainly if you can afford it, want it for braggin' rights, or expect to pull yourself & 5 other rigs up Lower2 on a regular basis... that might be the way to go?

Back