Because I need another project like I need another wife.......(I don't)

fordwheelinman

The wifeys mother and step father decided to move from their current house, and had to clear stuff out. His kids didn't want this, so it came to us.
20220411_101437.jpg

2002ish Coleman Fleetwood Sun Valley: Price: $0.00
Issues: Many
Help needed: All of it.

It has a weird one piece ABS top, that did not weather well, which I've read is a common problem, so I need to figure that out. But a good roof means nothing if it can't be gotten into. From my current research, this lift style doesn't exist. My crank is in the bottom, which would indicate a direct drive lift system, but no. I have a chain system, which typically has the crank mid way up the tail end. Ugh.....

If anyone has any experience working on pop-up campers, please let me know, I need help.

Screenshot_20220407-202637_Drive.jpg

Here's the layout for the curious.

Currently, with tag and title, I'm roughly $200 in so far. $80 wheels and tires, that aren't stiff enough for my liking, but they got us home, $86 for tag and title, $13 for a tarp, and $20 I gave my brother for fuel.

The wifeys mother and step father decided to move from their current house, and had to clear stuff out. His kids didn't want this, so it came to us.
View attachment 370555

2002ish Coleman Fleetwood Sun Valley: Price: $0.00
Issues: Many
Help needed: All of it.

It has a weird one piece ABS top, that did not weather well, which I've read is a common problem, so I need to figure that out. But a good roof means nothing if it can't be gotten into. From my current research, this lift style doesn't exist. My crank is in the bottom, which would indicate a direct drive lift system, but no. I have a chain system, which typically has the crank mid way up the tail end. Ugh.....

If anyone has any experience working on pop-up campers, please let me know, I need help.
Check out PopUpPortal
Good info on pop ups and rebuilding.

Well two pipe wrenches, and some time later, I got the top up. Removed the rear ABS cover, to find this...
20220411_171738.jpg
20220411_171745.jpg
20220411_171753.jpg

The top is cracked all to shit. Gaping holes everywhere. This is where I have water damage.

I joined today, posed a question about my one of none lift system, have yet to get a response. Depending how hard it is to fix this rot I may just splurge for the power lift system and not have to crank it by hand.
Not near as much traffic for sure but someone should answer. I assume you saw this or already posted in

Not near as much traffic for sure but someone should answer. I assume you saw this or already posted in

I've read so much stuff to do with these roofs, it's hard to keep track of. I've got cracks on the top, the corners, the sides....I'm gonna end up having to piece it off, then either do some aluminum work, sheet metal work, or pay someone to fiberglass it. It is definitely not salvageable.

K..A..R..S for kids.🎵🎶🎵 donate that car today.
Won't be worth the effort.....unless you just want a project, cause OSB is super cheap right now you know. :driver: :driver: :dumbass:

K..A..R..S for kids.🎵🎶🎵 donate that car today.
Won't be worth the effort.....unless you just want a project, cause OSB is super cheap right now you know. :driver: :driver: :dumbass:
Sometimes it helps to know, or be, a pseudo hoarder.....

Or have a brother-in-law in construction. He can get me a sheet at their business rate, and he owns the business, so it's legit.

The Coleman lift is usually chain drive to the cable system ..... and this funky leadscrew type thing.
There is an aftermarket manual lift system that I would go with it it were me.
It's spring to help with the weight and I've NEVER seen on fail.
Cables break, leadscrews strip, sprockets and chains wear.
My parents had a big StarCraft with the manual system and I could handle just fine at 12 years old.

When you get disgusted. Save the frame and axle. Little work they make great utility trailers.

When you get disgusted. Save the frame and axle. Little work they make great utility trailers.
I made a utility trailer out of a pop camper about 15 years ago. I have made several mods to it over the years but it has been a great trailer

If it were only closer...I'd come haul it away for you and end this misery.
It's not going anywhere. 1) you'd have to deal with my wife, she's dead set on having a camper all of a sudden and 2) If it goes too far, it will get demolished for the frame and brake axle to become a utility trailer.
Wife already knows if it goes too far, it's getting stripped to the frame.

Update, has a quarter to half dollar size hole in the fabric, the door doesn't line up right (full door) and the fabric on the left side (looking from the outside) doesn't really reach the door to velcro in the frame. 3 major hurdles in the realm of pop-up campers. Found this out at about midnight last night after finally pipewrenching the damn thing up. The following is what ensued.....

My wife's response, "We'll figure out how to make it work"

Me: blank stare
In my brain: (that's not how this works......that's not how any of this works)
Me: They don't make these fabric sides anymore. There are no parts to fix this with....

Her: Looks at me pissed off, "We'll talk about it in the morning"

Me: (wishing I hadn't stopped drinking three hours ago)

My wife's response, "We'll figure out how to make it work"
That means: I have every bit of confidence in you to figure out a solution that doesn't exist, but I have no idea of what it will take.......... and we is really you. That is what I get from my wife occasionally too.

Wife: "I know you can fix it"
Me: "No its broke you can't fix it, we need to buy a new one"
Wife " cant you just weld it or glue it?"
Me: the 1/8" of surface area that has to go back together will fail the moment you look at it wrong, but yes we'll try and see if it holds......
Me: Searching for new parts on the internet later that night.

That means: I have every bit of confidence in you to figure out a solution that doesn't exist, but I have no idea of what it will take.......... and we is really you. That is what I get from my wife occasionally too.

Wife: "I know you can fix it"
Me: "No its broke you can't fix it, we need to buy a new one"
Wife " cant you just weld it or glue it?"
Me: the 1/8" of surface area that has to go back together will fail the moment you look at it wrong, but yes we'll try and see if it holds......
Me: Searching for new parts on the internet later that night.
There is sooooo much truth in that right there....

Back