best small tractor- need budget pricing help

Chuckman

yooooooooo tractor boys

were looking to build up off a looong gravel mountain rd in Boone this summer. trying to get a handle on all the little things that I'll probably need and roll it all into the loan. house, shop, generator, lift, etc.

so I figure that I'll be maintaining the road/plowing snow since the guy currently doing it is on his last lap. Im also thinking about buying full length logs and bucking them down for a water stove. so Id like to get front forks to help unload etc.

thinking
30~40 hp
diesel
front loader

dont need anything crazy nice, just reliable. havent looked into anything specific yet, just need to know budgetary numbers. $5k? $10k?

these things are ALL over the place and Im researching house now, not much time thrown at tractors YET

Paging @Croatan_Kid ...

I've personally used both John Deere and Kubota for the small front end loader type...couldn't really say which one I liked better. Even used a little Mustang skid steer at my last job for some odds and ends. That was a nifty little bastard, too.

For the price you can buy a nice tractor, you could buy an equivalent sized skid steer. A skid steer might not be as good at plowing a long road as a tractor with a scrape blade on the 3-point hitch, but if you plan to plow a gravel road with the bucket on the tractor you are wasting your time even thinking about it.

You can find tractors and skid steers in the 5-10k range, but if you jump up to $15k you are more likely to find something a good bit nicer.

I have used tractors with loader buckets, you can do 4x the work in 1/2 the time with a skid steer, unless you are mowing a field, that's where a tractor shines.

74107011-6CA2-4527-A55D-0A28A8B4ED0C.jpeg

Everything a new homeowner could need all in one package. 1 Series John Deere. 0% for 60 months.

Good lord...does that thing brew coffee and still some shine all at the same time?

Ha...."zero percent loan" :lol: That's almost as funny as saying a politician is "honest" and "looking out for our interests". They just mark just the total price and spread it over the course of the loan, like a surcharge for letting you make payments to them. I think there's a word for it already...oh yeah, interest :D It may not actually be the same thing, but somebody is definitely going to make money on it. They do make it a lot more difficult to look at used tractors when you see what you can get payment-wise on new ones though.

The hot ticket would be a skid steer on tracks....but they're not cheap. I think the appeal to your average homeowner about a tractor vs a skidsteer is the price of repairs and that a tractor is usually a little easier to work on yourself.

I like my Kubota. Got a much better deal on it used than I could find a green tractor for. Mine only had 340 hrs on it too. I'd get as big of a tractor as you can find/afford. The newer tractors don't weigh near what older ones do and you don't have any traction if you don't have the weight. Definitely get 4wd...you'll kick yourself in the ass if you don't. The 3rd option hydraulics would be very nice for something like a grapple to go on the loader. It's a lot easier and safer for moving logs and such, but obviously costs more. With that said, the quick attach on the front loader is very handy.

Oh, mine came with a canopy on it...wasn't a deal breaker, but damn I'm glad it's there. It's definitely kept me from getting cooked while mowing in the summer time. So keep that in mind.

Ag (R1) tires...get one that has them. I absolutely abhor (R4) construction tires. My buddy's tractor has them and his will slick over, dig straight down, and generally just get him stuck.

The one I bought was a 2008 Kubota L4400. 4x4, hydrostatic, quick detach LA703 FEL, and it has a canopy. The 4400s are 45hp and 38 at the pto, has one set of rear remote hydraulics, diff lock...etc. It weighs 3307 lbs and the loader with bucket is another 1351, so 4658 total. I gave 18k for it, which may be a little high, but it did also come with a 6' Woods bush hog and with only 340 hrs on it, it might as well have been new as far as I was concerned.

I'm sure you can find something cheaper though.

20171021_075410.jpg

Last edited:
Something used and not having all the emissions is my thoughts. Subcompacts are like buying brand name sneakers. You pay for the name and the hype. I like my old 70ish 50 hp IH. I like older 3600 and 4000 Ford's problem is all of them are getting tired. I like the smaller frames and manuverability of newer stuff. Outside that the new stuff just isn't built to take abuse and work hard. Everything has lines or tanks hanging under them, plastic fenders and fragility made into them.....kinda like modern pickups. For a 90s to 2000 I like New Holland or Kubota. The green machines require everything John Deer. Fittings, attachments all of it Queer Deer parts with the basics so messed up the same connection want work on another brand.

Ha...."zero percent loan" :lol: That's almost as funny as saying a politician is "honest" and "looking out for our interests". They just mark just the total price and spread it over the course of the loan, like a surcharge for letting you make payments to them. I think there's a word for it already...oh yeah, interest :D It may not actually be the same thing, but somebody is definitely going to make money on it. They do make it a lot more difficult to look at used tractors when you see what you can get payment-wise on new ones though.

No, it really is the same price. If you paid cash, it'll be cheaper, but for a new Deere financed, the price is the price, regardless of the method used to finance it. Having said that, I wouldn't go with a CUT (compact utility tractor). It will never do what you need it to do. I'd look for a 4000 series Deere or something equivalent with a cab or a skid steer.

I got a Kubota L2501 last year for my 15 acres. Seems to be the perfect size so far.

Basically I got the biggest "real" tractor they had that stayed below the emissions requirements (25hp). No DEF, no regens, etc.

So far used rake, fertilizer spreader, box blade, FEL, drag harrow, etc and have not lacked for power. Also got the subframe backhoe. It works great for what it is, but no way can it make up for the weight and power of a real backhoe. To do it over again, I'd probably have put the backhoe money into a mini-ex.

I like it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BTW, tractors are like late model Jeeps....pricing on newer used ones was right up there with new. I looked at a lot of overpriced used crap, then bit the bullet and went to the Kubota dealer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Get a 90s model New Holland LX series skid steer for under $10k, and a 35hp 60s or 70s model tractor for $2-4k. Use the tractor for scraping the driveway and running a bush hog. There is no comparison between a skid steer vs tractor for cutting or moving dirt, lifting capacity, stability, or maneuverability.

I kind of agree with Matt, but unless you have a field where you don't want to mess up the grass to bushhog, the brush mowers on the skid steers work great.

I just sold a 1998 lx865 (63hp ~8k lb machine) for $6k recently, had over 5k hours (display didn't read the hours correctly). It served me well, just wouldn't get around on my new property well so I upgraded to something with tracks.

We have a old LONG tractor with a front loader. The thing is ancient, heavy, slow, and rides like a cinder block. BUT Ive driven that tractor through 'baccer fields, creeks snow, ice, mud, and everything else and never been stuck. Just lock the rear and go. We also have a major and a super major that are the same way. I personally now have an old 8N that does what I need. My step dad bought a newer Yanmar tractor with front loader and forks, 4x4, ect. It works well but doesnt have enough weight to do some things. Just my 2 cents.

I'll pitch a throwback to my previous employer. They haven't made these things in the past 30 years (moved on to drilling rigs and equipment), but they sure were cool.

2.jpg

IMG_4367%20resized%20600x400.jpg

185-td3b.jpg

I completely disagree with "buy a skid steer over a tractor". I completely agree with "buy a tractor over 40hp with ag tires". A wheeled skid steer in that price range is about the most worthless piece of shit for anything but pushing snow, won't lift as much as the tractor with the forks or bucket, will get stuck far easier than the tractor, can't box blade your drive like a tractor, can't run nearly as big of any implement as that tractor and many more. If you want to tear up grass and turn like a skid steer just use the turning brakes. Anything you buy if you want it to lift a trunk will have to have at least a "2800+" lb lift capacity at the pin.

I kind of agree with Matt, but unless you have a field where you don't want to mess up the grass to bushhog, the brush mowers on the skid steers work great.
No doubt, but a skidsteer mount bushhog costs as much as a 35hp tractor with a bushhog.

I'll pitch a throwback to my previous employer. They haven't made these things in the past 30 years (moved on to drilling rigs and equipment), but they sure were cool.

2.jpg

IMG_4367%20resized%20600x400.jpg

185-td3b.jpg

Them things are cool as all get out!!!

Them things are cool as all get out!!!
Damn right. They kept a couple around out there at the facility. We had to fix a water leak that involved doing some digging and busting concrete. They had a pneumatractor with a backhoe. Just like the first pic I posted. All-in-one tool! Used a jackhammer attachment to bust the concrete, dropped that and snapped on the bucket and started digging all with the same tractor. That thing was badass.

I had about $4k in my lx865 when I bought it, that was after putting on new tires. It would lift 4k lbs, more if I added counterweight to the back.

Matt, I have about $2,500 in my 60" bushhog, bought it new from Ritchie Bros auction.

What you buy depends more on what you will use it for and the layout of your land. If your land is steep, a wheeled skid steer is not ideal as they don't do great on inclines (unless it is hard pack dirt)

I completely disagree with "buy a skid steer over a tractor". I completely agree with "buy a tractor over 40hp with ag tires". A wheeled skid steer in that price range is about the most worthless piece of shit for anything but pushing snow, won't lift as much as the tractor with the forks or bucket, will get stuck far easier than the tractor, can't box blade your drive like a tractor, can't run nearly as big of any implement as that tractor and many more. If you want to tear up grass and turn like a skid steer just use the turning brakes. Anything you buy if you want it to lift a trunk will have to have at least a "2800+" lb lift capacity at the pin.
My New Holland L555 is on the smaller end of skidsteers at 45hp and 4500lbs, but it was able to pick up a 36ft long, 16" DBH pine trunk, along with a lot of other stupid heavy crap. I loaded an old Cincinnati #1 Horizontal mill on my trailer with the 4 in 1 bucket on it.
When I need to move gravel around my driveway or scrape it, I walk past my tractor with the box blade on it, and crank up the skidsteer with 4 in 1 bucket.
I agree about getting stuck easier and tearing grass when you turn, but I think you've driven some crappy skidsteers based on your other comments. Or maybe I'm just a really awesome skidsteer operator?

Loaded everything on here with my skidsteer, including the 14ft, 26" diameter red oak.
upload_2018-2-21_10-29-18.png

Here's how @shawn's trailer got bent. Those beams are 1/2" plate, about 2000lb/each, and no issue to move around.
upload_2018-2-21_10-31-1.png

And yes, that is a car transmission on the top of the mill for the gear ranges...
DSC_1594.JPG

Last edited:
Matt, I have about $2,500 in my 60" bushhog, bought it new from Ritchie Bros auction.
My Massey 35 was $2300 and a good used 5ft Bushhog can be had for about $500, so we're in the same ballpark. I love driving that tractor, but I love getting work done with the skidsteer.

My Massey 35 was $2300 and a good used 5ft Bushhog can be had for about $500, so we're in the same ballpark. I love driving that tractor, but I love getting work done with the skidsteer.
Those 35s are great little tractors. We have one as well as a 230 for the farm.

I forgot to mention that my rear tires are loaded too....that makes a big difference!

Also, FWIW, they made the L4400 from 2007 to 2013 and didn't change anything during that time that I'm aware of. I don't have any emissions stuff to deal with and I'll make damn sure whatever mini-ex I wind up with doesn't either!

Bushhogging stuff like that ^^^ the tractor is better in most situations.

If you have small trees you want to get rid of, go skid steer as you can raise the hog up and chip lower it down onto the trees to chip them as you descend. On flatter ground you could get by with tires, I could not have done this with a machine on tires.

Attachments

• IMG_20180203_162623.jpg
    IMG_20180203_162623.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20180212_190016.jpg
    IMG_20180212_190016.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 188
Back