Betsy's Build

ScottR

It's never done.
I have started collecting some parts for my jeep's, Betsy, next build. It is going to take a while to collect the parts so this write-up will be on going.

My wife has only three rules for my jeep and I tend to agree with them.
1. Must be street legal and be comfortable to drive for an hour. (Having two sets of tires is fine, that is what I do now.)
2. Must be able to seal it up and stay dry inside.
3. Must be able to put a back seat in it. (Does not have to stay in it but must have the option to put it in for an upcoming trip.)
Other than those rules I can do what I want.

Major items that are staying:
4.0L Engine- 160K miles, still going strong for now.
AW4- swapped this with the AX15 earlier this year- love it.
NP231- I know, I know, this be swapped eventually but will stay for now.
Clayton Long Arms up front- couldn't be more pleased with the 8 years of torture they have taken.

What is being removed:
Dana 30- Lockright, warn hubs and alloy shafts
Ford 8.8- Eaton e-locker
Rear leaf suspension- served me very well but don't think it will hold up for my next phase.
Gas tank- stock tank needs to be removed to move axle back.
Front highline fenders will be swapped to tube fenders.
Rear fenders will be pushed back 4~5 inches and highlined.

What's being swapped in:
14 Bolt- ARB, probably go with Ballistic's shave kit. Will hang down less than my 8.8 if I do that.
Ford 60 Front- probably an ARB
Gears: Probably 5.38, since that is what is in the 14 bolt I picked up. (have the AW4 auto and 2.72 lowrange right now)
H2 Wheels
Staun Beadlocks- Can't find these instock anywhere!!!
Double Triangulated Rear Suspension
Suspension Support- ORI's
Aftermarket Gas tank- not sure which yet
Tires- 40" GoodYear MTRs

I will post up parts as I gather them. Then, eventually the actual buildup will begin.

Scott

Here is a recent picture of my Jeep. Taken at Rausch Creek last fall.
Betsy.jpg

Here is the 14 Bolt C&C I picked up this weekend in Winston Salem on my way to help the Rock Corp 4x4 club. Thanks to Keith and Randall- couldn't have gotten it in the back of my truck without you.
090727_axle.JPG

Didn't notice this when I picked up the axle- had rust/dirt all over it. I have since started cleaning it up. I need to take off the cover and see if there is any damage internally I need to be concerned about. It obviously was welded up for some reason.
090727_axle weld.jpg
Anybody know what this might be from? Should I be concerned?
I will know some more once I look inside.

Small scratch/gouge in the bottom of the housing- probably from broken pinion tooth.
090802_axle.JPG

Here you can see where the axle was welded from the outside.
090802_axle2.JPG

All of the important areas look fine.

Where is Rouch Creek? Thats an awesome picture! Cant wait to follow this thread!

Picked up a Ford Dana 60 a couple of weeks ago- thanks Bruiser.

090820_dana60_2.JPG

From what I can tell so far, the axle is in fairly good shape. I know it needs calipers, rotors, ujoints and probably a pinion seal. I haven't torn apart the king pins yet. The hub bearings, spindle bearing and lock outs look good.

I found a SRW 14 Bolt with a lot of the goodies I wanted already installed.
5.38 Gears, Detroit Locker, disk brakes, brake lines, BTF truss that is tied into the pinion support, Solid diff cover, 1410 Yoke.
091015_14Bolt.jpg

I know. I know. I am getting my own camera soon so the updates will be more frequent.
For the D60- I removed the stock brackets. I checked the king pins, they look great. Cleaned out the tubes. Painted the king pin caps. Trimmed the truss to fit over the diff.
For the 14B- I removed the leaf spring perches.
Pics to follow soon.

I cleaned up the D60 and painted the hubs.
D60.jpg

I had the wheel center hole machined to fit over the D60 hub (they fit fine over the 14B hub).
D60 Outer.jpg

Plenty of room for brakes and tie rod.
D60 Inner.jpg

Scott

Wheel on the 14B- Outer picture.
14B Outer.jpg

Wheel on the 14B- Inner picture.
14B Inner.jpg

I measured the overall width of each axle with the wheels installed and here is where I am at:
D60: 77 5/16
14B: 75 3/16

I plan to cut my front axle to match the width of my rear axle. With a max of a 13.5 wide tire that will put me at 80 3/16 total width. My trailer is 83" wide between the fenders. There will probably be some rubbing when I drive up on the trailer with the tires are aired down.

Scott

I cut the Inner C off of the long side of the Dana 60.
InnerC.jpg
I cut the tube to get the Inner C off. Then, I cut the tube that was in the Inner C in two places and then knocked it out with a hammer.

Here is a picture of the axle. Now I just need to cut it down to length.
D60 Cut.jpg

I was over at ECGS talking to Chase the other day, he suggested cutting my axle down to be able to use a different year/make axle shaft so I did not have to go the custom shaft route. Looks like if I cut it down 2.3 inches then I can just use the long inner shaft for a 78-79 Ford. (This axle is an 88-91, Ford). I was planning to cut the axle down 2.125 inches, so another 0.175 inch won't hurt to save me some money and headaches down the road- Thanks for the suggestion Chase!

Got some more parts in this week...
Rock Rails- Genright Mini Boat Sides
rock_rail1.jpg

rock_rail2.jpg

rock_rail3.jpg

Genright Stretch Corners
Corner_Guard.jpg

Hope to get axle cut and Inner C back on the front axle in the next two weeks.

I got the Dana 60 axle cut to length a couple of weeks ago- thanks Keith for you help and band saw. Today I got the Inner C back on the axle tube and tacked it in place.
InnerC TackedinPlace.jpg

Back