BK (Baby Krawler) - 88 XJ

J.C.

Volunteer
Thinking that I might enjoy some creature comforts (automatic transmission, air conditioning, doors, windows that keep out the dust, carpet and header for sound and climate insulation, etc) I picked up an 88 XJ from CherokeeKid88 here on the board.

http://nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53764

Plans were to keep it simple. 2" spacer lift, and some tires.

That has already gone by the board :) Being a proponent of extreme low gearing, I couldn't pass up a great deal on a 231 Box For Rox kit, especially since SPOA87YJ had a 231 front case half I could have for free.

For those that might not know, the 231 kit gives you an adapter plate, clocking ring, block off plate for where you cut the front output off and a custom output shaft.

Here is what the krawl box looks like after you cut the front output off of the front half of a 231 tcase and weld in the block off plate.

The krawl box adds 8" of modified 231 tcase between the stock transmission and transfer case.

The added length created two small problems. The transfer case was now behind the transmission/tcase hump in the floorboard so a small piece of the floor had to be cut out.

The other problem with the added length was that the front driveshaft would now hit the cross member. I simply cut a section out of the cross member and welded in a piece of 3/8" plate. If this doesn't prove to be strong enough or doesn't give enough clearance I'll modify it again.

Of course, the added length also caused the rear driveshaft to have to be shortened and the front driveshaft to have to be lengthened. Not a problem, just more work :)

The krawl box shifter mechanism ended up in a convenient location underneath the cab and I just went straight up through the floorboard with a piece of 3/8" rod from the stock shifter plate. A piece of 1/2" pipe provides the handle for a simple push/pull T-bar shifter. It's a little long so I'll cut it off before I weld on the handle.

The stock transfer case shift linkage was lengthened using just a piece of 1/4" rod bent on the ends to go through the stock shifter plates. You can see both tcase shifter link mounts here.

The krawl ratio with the AW4 (2.80:1), 231 Krawl Box (2.72:1), 231 transfer case (2.72:1) and stock axle gears (3.55:1) is 74:1. Most of my web research indicates that the automatic transmission torque converter provides an effective further 1.8-2.3:1 reduction for a final krawl ratio around 150:1. With 33" LTBs this should be sufficiently slow so that I don't feel too different from the 205:1 krawl ratio of my other rig.

I'll provide some updates on performance and other mods as they happen.

Xmember turned out way easier than we had expected.

Shifter turned out good, glad to see it coming together

Welcome to the 4 door and AC crew!!

What does the rest of the rig look like?

Thanks, John! I found the link after I posted!!

I'll get some as soon as I get it out of the garage. Still have to put in the stock poppet ball plug that NateDesign brought by last night and fill up the cases with fluid. Also need to make one go round to insure everything is tight, connected and ready to go :)

Awesome man, I must have missed this thread originally, because today is the first time I have seen it! Welcome to the unibody four door crowd!

Got the BK out today for a test drive around the neighborhood. Did fine, I think I need some trans fluid, took a second to shift from D to R and from R to D. Still need to fab a brace for the rear tcase and I think I need a little more lift in the front to level it up which would help with the front tires getting into the fenders . Now all I need is for URE to open up so I can test it out semi locally!

Pics show the comparison between stock and a 2" spacer lift with 33" LTBs + a little damage from it's first trip to URE in December.

Looking good! I am jealous that the XJ can fit 33s with only 2" of lift and my ZJ when I put the 3.5" on will only be able to fit 32s! :lol:

Looks good John! Clay you need to trim your fenders!

Looking good! I am jealous that the XJ can fit 33s with only 2" of lift and my ZJ when I put the 3.5" on will only be able to fit 32s! :lol:
Looks good John! Clay you need to trim your fenders!

Yeah, the fronts are trimmed to the factory groove and the rears are tucked and rolled and they could both still use a little modification. You can fit ANYTHING, but will it work :driver:

Rocker Guards

Whipped up some rocker protection today. I had some 2"x2" 1/4" wall tube laying around so......Mocked up.............

Cut at an angle

Welded in plate on the ends.......

Ground smooth.............

Little bit of primer.............

Voila...........I'll attach them tomorrow.

John, looks awesome! I am getting more and more jealous... I bought some sliders a while back and they are still not on the jeep! :) and you just fab some up in a matter of days... :beer:

Back