board speed?

lockedup5

overcompensating underachiever
I'm not to computer smart but has there been something wrong with the site today? It has been super slow or would just lock up. All other sites have been fine. Also my virus protection kept popping up and blocking all the ads. Was just wondering.

No problems lately. Thought it was just me. Once in a while, might have a spell of nearly stopping, and after a couple minutes, it clears up.
Couples of times, seemed like it wouldn't load a post, I would click back to Last page, & then it would work OK.

I installed AdBlock on my computer and it seemed to help a bit. I still have the problem of the computer being much slower on this site than ANY other website. As soon as I close out my NC4x4 windows, everything runs fine again. Even other forums are fine.

Nothing has changed in the last several weeks. Make sure your computer is up to date and clean of any malware.

Running adblock costs the board at least $20 in lost revenue. Keep that in mind when your club calls asking for freebies for their giveaway or when we do the 12 Days giveaways in December.

Shawn,
I understand what you are saying, and logically why it should be the answer.

Having said that....over the past month or so I have also seen a major degradation in performance. On the work computer (it has built in ad blocking through the VPN/firewall) it is not an issue. Just for a test I just used both computers side by side on the home wifi. Work computer running through a VPN server so in theory it should be slightly slower. I launched the ECORS 2013 rules thread onto page 1. Then proceeded to next page through page two, three and four was loading on the work computer before the home computer had loaded page 1. Again both using the same wifi same wifi adpter, in fact both same brand of computer.

First run was using IE on both, repliated using Chrome and FF on home laptop (cant install othr browser on work laptop) and Chrome was slightly better page three was loading as page one finished but ff was way worse. I have no idea what to make of all that an understand I have not eliminated all variables (cache for example) but just wanted to give you some input.

Loaded several threads in all 3 browsers (FF, IE and Chrome), no problems for me. And my work computer is a slow-ass dell laptop running Vista.

Shawn,
I understand what you are saying, and logically why it should be the answer.

When did you do your test?

I had problems with a bad Flash update about a month ago. It would hang, ramp up to 300-400mb of ram usage, then crash. Reverted it and no problems since.

I spend a lot of time looking at shit on the internet. I see all the ads here, including some that normal, logged-in people don't see. This is hands-down one of the fastest sites I visit. That's including visiting on VMs with not much ram, our old ass Dell w/XP, etc.

Did it this morning right before I posted.
I visit about 10 forums/message boards daily and to be honest this is by far the slowest for me. I know how much work you guys put into the site and I dont want to be a debbie downer, but it has definitely altered my usage habits. FWIW I dont have the same issues on the phone.

anti virus is up to date...ran a malware bytes scan after testing with updates and nothing found.

I wonder if the specific ads could play an impact? maybe my cookie profile causes me to fetch ads that yours doesn't?
Maybe it is one or tow bad ads

Just throwing shit againt the wall

Which forums are faster than ours?

Which forums are faster than ours?
Rivals.com, Scout.com, pirate4x4, hardlinecrawlers (not a fair comparison because they dont run script ads), utvunderground, dezertracer, blondesforsale(paying attention? hahaha), oprationsports, mmauniverse, and other

every one i get on is much faster,i just don't understand how this can be so complicated,it never was before.it would take over 30 minutes now to try and place and ad or post with several pics.i guess i will go buy a new computer to use this one webite.

Now you're just being melodramatic.

Rivals.com, Scout.com, pirate4x4, hardlinecrawlers (not a fair comparison because they dont run script ads), utvunderground, dezertracer, blondesforsale(paying attention? hahaha), oprationsports, mmauniverse, and other

And you think the ads are to blame?

Edit: I can't find several of these. Several others don't run ad scripts. PBB is the only comparable one so far.

Last edited:
Mine has been like this since the last total revamp, not just in the past month. I paid the $20 to get ads removed, so don't fret about me running adblock. It helped, but the site is still slow.

One thing I do is have anywhere from 10-40 tabs open, which I know doesn't help. But it worked fine until the big upgrade.

If you're on the ad-free subscription, running adblocker does nothing for you. The server doesn't even send you the scripts.

No worries, though... I'll make sure you win something in December. ;)

I use a DELL laptop for work that runs Windows XP. The internet in general was a little sluggish. I ran MALWARE antimalware which cleaned up a lot of crap and switched to Microsoft security essentials. It works fine now.

I have a new Toshiba personal laptop that runs chrom and it loads damn near instant. Even threads that are picture heavy.

I see adds on both.

I'm by means computer smart but a lot of these issues sound computer/ user specific.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

the newest flash causes video, to play then stop. No buffer aside from that. i'm running FF,ad block+,flash killer, no script. SB with tea timer,avg,malware bytes: i manually load sb,malware and run all proggies sandboxed.

on this site, my computer locks up while trying to open the ads(not by me) yet all other sites are trouble-free? I'm having to use the computer at work to ask this.

If you're on the ad-free subscription, running adblocker does nothing for you. The server doesn't even send you the scripts.

No worries, though... I'll make sure you win something in December. ;)
I ran adblock first to see if it helped, and since it seemed to help, I shot over the $20.

on this site, my computer locks up while trying to open the ads(not by me) yet all other sites are trouble-free? I'm having to use the computer at work to ask this.

What do you mean by "not by me"? Who's opening ads? Do you know of any particular ads with which it has happened? And what other sites are "trouble-free" when opening ads?

who knows' no one seems to care that could actually do something about it,so i give up.i am in the same boat.i am going to try ad delete or blocker may help

Everyone who complains has different symptoms and issues... what makes you think all these varied problems are the board's fault? Seriously, Shawn has asked questions, he's tried to address issues he can actually control. He's done everything he can to optimize the site and the ad scripts that run... which allow us to run this site.

No Chad, as we already covered in your two other threads, the problem is most likely with your computer. Ray is saying the same thing -- "My one computer doesn't work on your website "only", but works everywhere else in the world. My work computer is fine."

*I can't fix your computer for you*.

What I can do is use 3rd party resources to see if NC4x4 is working properly for the average visitor and to test it for speed relative to the rest of the internet. That tells me that NC4x4 is quite fast for a "visitor", faster than every other website that anybody has specifically given me as a comparison. For logged-in users, the site is extremely fast, scoring solidly in the 90s according to Google.

Delete your cookies, wipe your cache. Defrag your HD, make sure your software is up to date. Run a malware checker.

Or give me some specifics to go on.

No Chad, as we already covered in your two other threads, the problem is most likely with your computer. Ray is saying the same thing -- "My one computer doesn't work on your website "only", but works everywhere else in the world. My work computer is fine."

*I can't fix your computer for you*.

What I can do is use 3rd party resources to see if NC4x4 is working properly for the average visitor and to test it for speed relative to the rest of the internet. That tells me that NC4x4 is quite fast for a "visitor", faster than every other website that anybody has specifically given me as a comparison. For logged-in users, the site is extremely fast, scoring solidly in the 90s according to Google.

Delete your cookies, wipe your cache. Defrag your HD, make sure your software is up to date. Run a malware checker.

Or give me some specifics to go on.
Already did all that.

Back