Boat people

Yeah for me, it was the taper off effect. Told myself the same thing everyone else does...'this will be totally awesome, I'll go all the time'...that justified the purchase, went about once a month for the first year. Dropped off sharply years 2 and 3. Convinced myself I'm just not that avid of a fisherman, so I must need deck boat (best of both worlds, boat/ski AND pontoon...amirite). Think I went out about 3 times in 2 years, loaned it out, more than I actually used it. Got sick of a boat taking up space and sold it. Now I just use my brother's stuff (fishes for Cheerwine, think him and Ron fished a couple tournaments). Some folks are boat people, I'm just not one of them.

You are not alone. We had a boat when I was growing up, and took it out on all the local lakes water skiing and occasionally fishing. My dad sold the boat when I was about 19 or 20 yrs old. Fast forward to last summer when my wife, her sister's family, and her parents all wanted to rent a pontoon boat up on Belews Lake. I had an OK time, but was content with doing it just once that summer. We did it again a month ago, and now everyone is wanting to rent one again this coming weekend, but I am not interested. I think my lack of interest in boating is directly related to my hatred of hot summer weather. I'm ready for the fall.

Signed,
Grumpy old man

Took the boat out last night. Biggest complaint is the lowrance unit is glitchy but it’s getting replaced anyways with a newer unit. We got on the water at 8 left around 12 when it started raining.
Found some beavers at about 1130 Jospeh had a hell of a light

IMG_2664.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG
IMG_2666.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you have to try and take all your friends? I know you are all excited to get a new boat but common now...
View attachment 271369

So what you're saying is Logan and his friends look like an Indian version of Washington crossing the Delaware. Noted.

Last edited:
i clicked on this thread hoping to find info about a colony of people living on boats.

Took the boat out last night. Biggest complaint is the lowrance unit is glitchy but it’s getting replaced anyways with a newer unit. We got on the water at 8 left around 12 when it started raining.
Found some beavers at about 1130 Jospeh had a hell of a light

View attachment 271365View attachment 271366View attachment 271367

...back in the day we used to find the beavers on saturday afternoons @ the public access beaches @ jordan lake. With some coxing they would wade out to the boat and climb aboard to go for a ride. They really liked wine coolers so we usually had a cooler full of them. We really needed a bigger boat to take more along and we should have had a pontoon.

The old adage that the best boat is your friends boat is only true if they are mechanically inclined.

So one of the boats we use regularly is owned by the parents of a really close friend. We love them but neither parents nor friends are super mechanically
inclined. I get it, it’s not everyone’s forte. I get a call from my buddy recently: “Hey man, you know a lot about boats and are familiar with ours. There is a new vibration...” Ah. Here we go.

Fast forward through the convo and he hit something late last fall when the lake was low. Cut a corner in a channel. Boat stays on a lift so I ask what the prop looks like...

8D61B029-4F45-478B-B1A1-6FE130997CDE.jpeg
5E030708-B5A5-496B-BB31-9F53C5BE3279.jpeg

Not the worst I’ve seen and the sandblasted look is consistent with Duke power lakes, but it looks like it took a quick trip through a quarry. Tomorrow’s breakfast beer will be had in the kayak while changing the prop and hub.

The old adage that the best boat is your friends boat is only true if they are mechanically inclined.

So one of the boats we use regularly is owned by the parents of a really close friend. We love them but neither parents nor friends are super mechanically
inclined. I get it, it’s not everyone’s forte. I get a call from my buddy recently: “Hey man, you know a lot about boats and are familiar with ours. There is a new vibration...” Ah. Here we go.

Fast forward through the convo and he hit something late last fall when the lake was low. Cut a corner in a channel. Boat stays on a lift so I ask what the prop looks like...

View attachment 272002 View attachment 272003

Not the worst I’ve seen and the sandblasted look is consistent with Duke power lakes, but it looks like it took a quick trip through a quarry. Tomorrow’s breakfast beer will be had in the kayak while changing the prop and hub.

My dad isn’t very mechanically inclined either.... or vary aware of anything that going on around him.... he’s hit logs in the water and made a 3 blade a 2 blade. I finally got him to buy a second spare so while one is getting reworked he has a spare for the spare.

I've never had a desire to own a boat, and dont really know much about them, but my wife's cousin in Alabama sent some pics of his neighbors boat that she is selling. 2003 Bayliner 175. Little old lady owned! (unsure of the engine right now). Been dry docked. Whats the value on one of these things? Looks brand new to me, but I know its a 15 year old boat. My inlaws mentioned buying it jointly...but i'm only really interested if I could sell it :D

bayliner1.jpg
bayliner2.jpg
bayliner3.jpg

I’d say 6-8 to the right buyer and if it’s in good shape with Low hours. Fast sale price id put it around 5. But to get top dollar you’d wanna hold it till next spring

It's back together, and hit the river with it managed to go 16 miles up river! No leaks, handles class 2-3 rapids well with little damage (other than known wear areas) top speed about 25 mph, worth every bit of the time cutting, grinding, and welding. The best part was watching the looks from people struggling to go down the rapids in canoes, when you blast up them!

Back