Brown Mountain New Year's Day

uglyjeepoffroad

Registered Loser
I am thinking of setting another run up this year for Brown Mtn. on New Year's Day. Last year's run was fun and maybe we can do it again.
For those who don't know, Brown is an ORV park between Lenoir and Morganton, NC. It is about 35 mins north of Hickory. There is really only one main trail for 4x4s, but it IS off pavement and you might even encounter a rock or two. Most any 4x4 can do the trails, but may require some spotting or a strap.
The details will need to be worked out. This will be on a Sunday, so we will probably leave a little later than normal to accomodate those going to church. If this doesn't work, I will just skip chruch that day and worship at the wheel.:D
Post up any questions or if you are interested.

Here is a pic from last year of Stump on a rock. This gives a little idea of the trails. Pretty mild, but fun to be out for the day...
attachment.php

The TJ is finally serviceable so I'll plan on being there. I may even go check this place out before that if anybody wants to go.

If I have my junk back together by then I may tag along. WOuld be a good trial run to see how things work.

Yall shall feel the fury of a Tacoma DD. I am in.

I could prolly make it this year again. GSW we can run it sometime before thenif you want.

Does Brown Mtn. not close in Dec. like URE anymore??? I know it has in the past , just thought I might mention it.

uglyjeepoffroad said:
The details will need to be worked out. This will be on a Sunday, so we will probably leave a little later than normal to accomodate those going to church.

have details been worked out?

1. is it actually still open on New Years Day?
2. what time are we starting so us church-goers can make it?

I could leave Charlotte by 11am or so...and if you just need to post directions, and it'd be easy to find ya'll on the trails, that'd be fine, too...

Greg

jeep9mm said:
how long (time wise) are these trails? any one know about how far from charlotte is brown mt? and would a TJ, 31s, lift, winch, have any problems?

thanks..

Don't know how long it will take to run the trail....Not very long as it's in and out as it were. Last year we fiddle-farted around, had lunch on top of the mountain....so it took us a while.

As for your TJ....It is more than well-equiped for this jaunt. :)

JonathanS said:
are there requirements to attend this even... as i haven't been to a NC4x4 even yet...let me know.

No requirements.

As for Brown being open, it was last year, but I will doublecheck amd make sure it still will be. If it is not, we can always run Richlands, it is just a little further, but no entry fee (state road).
As I said in the first post, if your vehicle has a funny little lever on the floor or button on the dash marked 4wd, then you should be fine.

Chip, I will bring an extra strap in case you have trouble on any of the obstacles.:D

Brad, Fiddle farted huh? Now I see what you think of my trail leading skills. I was just trying to keep it to an IFS pace.:flipoff2:

New Year's day is the last day they are open unitl April 1st.
http://www.google.com/search?client...hl=en&q=BRown+mountain+orv&btnG=Google+Search

This should bring you to the PDF for the area. Just click on the first link. The PDF won't link to the board for some reason.

As it gets closer, I will get a time nailed down. Anyone arriving late should have no trouble finding us and I will post full directions well before time.

It sounds like there is good interest this year so it should be a lot of fun.
So far it looks like:
Me
Redx (Brad)
GSW
Chip (maybe)
deebo
Franklin (in the DD)
lil99tj (not in a 99 tj)
Cumminsdzl
gonovrit (?)
Bigwaylon
Jeep9mm
JohnathanS
FishHunt
89wrangler
JPScout (Nathan)
Stump
90XJ

Wow, 17 rigs. The ATVers are gonna be pissed. They usually have the place all to themselves.:D

uglyjeepoffroad said:
Brad, Fiddle farted huh? Now I see what you think of my trail leading skills. I was just trying to keep it to an IFS pace.:flipoff2:

Fiddle farted....as in had a good time playing on the lil rocks.....'Twas good. I fiddle fart as a practice. P'shaw....IFS pace.....:lol:

You're a great trail leader....the best....none better.....the kind of leader I hope to be one day.....a books-could-be-written-good type of trail leader.....a varitable Grizzly Adams of the offroad world type of leader.....Oh yeah.....:rolleyes:

Go to bed, you have to be at work in the morning.:flipoff2:
I'm letting you lead this year, oh wait, you will be late to the meeting point anyway.:D

uglyjeepoffroad said:
No requirements.

As for Brown being open, it was last year, but I will doublecheck amd make sure it still will be. If it is not, we can always run Richlands, it is just a little further, but no entry fee (state road).

If we were to run richlands, is there any place that a truck and trailer can safely be parked? As far as i remember there is not. I'm going to be in the mountains anyway, so thats why i'm even making the treck up from raleigh. I would not mind running richland, but the parking for guys like me, that trailer their junk could be an issue. My truck is legal, but the climb up from lenoir to blowing rock would not be a fun experience. (96 hp on a good day, 4.10s and 33" tsls)

As far as I know, no there is not. Unless you got permission from one of the local land owners. Then you would still have to drive back around if you drove all the way through. Of course you could always drive in from the Richland rd side and play and come back out that way.

upnover said:
As far as I know, no there is not. Unless you got permission from one of the local land owners. Then you would still have to drive back around if you drove all the way through. Of course you could always drive in from the Richland rd side and play and come back out that way.

Chip, That is how I usually do it anyway. Getting down from the backside is a pain.
There are some wide spots in but I am not sure I would trust a truck and trailer there. You may be able to ask at the last convenience store about a mile before Richlands and drive in from there.
It looks like Brown will still be open and there is plenty of parking there.

FishHunt said:
I'd like to go also. It sounds like a fine way to start the New Year. Where & what time is everyone meeting?

<><Fish

Details will come as it gets closer. We will probably meet in the Hickory area and caravan up. You can always meet at Brown too. I will post directions.

Back