Buggy Hauler trailers

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers' started by Jody Treadway, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid How's your hammer hangin'?

Everybody uses that argument, but which is more likely to give you problems to begin with? A 16 ply, load H, 17.5" that's not loaded near its capacity or a 10 ply, load E, 16" that's being worked a bit harder? Besides, who doesn't carry a spare or two? I guess all four could blow out and you'd be up shit creek, but what if bullfrogs had wings?

The Sailun S637 in a 235/85r16 and the Double Coin 215/75r17.5 are also a wash when it comes to price. If you look at both sizes in a Sailun, you can actually get the 17.5 for 8 bucks cheaper per tire. So there's that.

My other reason for doing the upgrade was to get the 8k axles. I don't know if there's any big differences between them and 7k, other than having slightly larger brakes and 5/8" studs vs 9/16". Since mine usually has an 11.5k mini ex on it, I felt it was a necessity.

Of course, this is all subject to whatever Jody wants to spend or deems necessary. I likely wouldn't have bothered with the 17.5s, but my junk is heavy :D

Almost forgot, I have the spring assist on my ramps and they're quite nice. I would definitely hate them without it.

Chris_Keziah likes this.
  2. BigSouth

BigSouth Doesn't play well with others!

Road hazards don’t care which tire you have. I’ll also add, and I’m sure you know, evasive maneuvers aren’t a possibility at the trailer lengths we’re hauling. White knuckle it and roll! It’s still a valid point to be able to find spares after hours.

shawn likes this.
  3. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

I have tires with a 4400# capacity mounted on a 7k axle. I have two spares, because trailers are worse about getting flats than anything else. The front tire makes the screws and nails jump, and the back tire catches them.

4. Noel

Noel Well-Known Member

@Jody Treadway hit me up before hand. My brother works there now. I can see if I can do anything for you. Easier to text or fb me

Croatan_Kid and Jody Treadway like this.
  5. Croatan_Kid

I know you do, that was in reference to finding spares at Walmart of a lesser load capacity.

Anybody can if they really need to. There are 24 hour tire services all over the place that are just a phone call away. Expensive, sure, but usually available. If I'm not mistaken, all of the Walmart tire centers close at 6 on Sunday anyway.

To be honest, I was trying to think of anywhere local to me where I could get a tire of any kind on a Sunday....I think everything is closed.

If you guys ever tried them, you'd like them! :flipoff2:

6. shawn

As I recall, it was about $1500 for me to convert from 16" to 17.5", not counting the cost of the tires.

Obviously, you negate some of that when you buy the trailer new.

7. Croatan_Kid

I think it was a 1300-ish dollar option when I had mine built. That was axles and tires/rims.

They do make 8x6.5 conversion rims that you can just throw on 7k axles. I think @Tacoma747 did it on a trailer he had.

8. shawn

Only if you already have drums with 9/16" studs. Those wheels aren't cheap, either.

9. Tacoma747

Tacoma747 Well-Known Member

I bought tires and wheels for about $1200 shipped iirc

10. 1stgenxxx

1stgenxxx Well-Known Member

That's crazy talk. Just roll with 14.5 wheels and carry 5 10 year old spares.

11. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

The old ones that feel like plastic truly dont blow out nearly as much.

12. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

I quoted this to brag about how old my trailer tires are.... then changed my mind and remembered I have a lot of long trips planned the first part of next year and should shut my mouth.

13. 1stgenxxx

1stgenxxx Well-Known Member

Most of my issues with the 14.5s come from the tires going flat while sitting and then having to reseat the bead.

jeepinmatt likes this.
  14. NCJeeplover

NCJeeplover Well-Known Member

2017 Buggy Hauler

At that price you could pick up some 7k axles, wheels and tire from redneck and still be ahead.

89xjnc likes this.
  15. rockcity

rockcity everyday is a chance to get better

It’s no Kaufman or PJ, but my T&W buggy hauler is perfect for what it’s intended for and at an exceptional value. That Kaufman deck over was a hoss and well built but overkill for my use. This small and light buggy hauler with decent axles and tires and brakes is perfect.

My only complaint is that I ordered the removable fenders in lieu of drive over fenders, but that’s my fault.

16. shawn

[​IMG]

17. rockcity

rockcity everyday is a chance to get better

I knew you would be the first to respond. :lol:

Point is you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to get a dedicated and made to order hauler for your rig that is reasonable quality and doesn’t weigh 5,000 lbs.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Chris_Keziah likes this.
  18. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

Just spoke with April over there. They may very well get my business after our conversation.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Stuntman Autoworks and RHSCTJ like this.
  19. Chris_Keziah

Chris_Keziah Joe Dirt

I've heard good things about their trailers as well. I had thought about going that route but Kaufman is 30 mins from me.

RHSCTJ likes this.
  20. shawn

They've been recommended here many times before. I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but everybody seems to like them.

21. Jody Treadway

20' low boy GN, pair of 7k axles, $4100. Gonna call back tomorrow and see how much more to make the deck fender width (GN buggy hauler). The added width won't hurt for the money saved.

22. NC-V

NC-V Well-Known Member

I have a RHW 20' car hauler. Slightly older model(2012). I have modified it pretty heavily since buying it used, but the build quality was very similar to my buddy's Kaufman. It is not a pj, not top of the line, but the original paint is still on it, original decking and it had no problem doing what it was rated for. (7k trailer is not rated for a cclb diesel f250, when you already have an extra 500lbs on the tongue)

23. Jody Treadway

Just pulled the trigger.
    18+2, low boy GN, fender width, fold up ramps, spare tire with dual 7k axles. Made to order from Red Hot Welding in 3-4 weeks.
    I will end up with a custom built 14k buggy hauler GN for cheaper than I was quoted from any other vendor.
    Less lead time, lower cost and flexibility from the builder gets my coin.

R Q, trailhugger, StretchASU and 6 others like this.
  24. RHSCTJ

RHSCTJ Well-Known Member

Ill stop by and pee on it from time to time while its being built.

25. Jody Treadway

Please do. I was literally logging back in to offer you lunch when it's ready.
    You just saved me $15
    :flipoff2:

trailhugger, jeepinmatt and 1stgenxxx like this.