Bumper Pull vs GN 5er Debate

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers' started by BigSouth, Jan 29, 2018.

1. fordwheelinman

fordwheelinman Well-Known Member

The amount of blood in my alcohol stream has no direct correlation to the amount of suckitude brought on by duraslax and a humming Cummings.............

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

jeepinmatt likes this.
  2. BigSouth

BigSouth Doesn't play well with others!

Sway Master

Sway control for any trailer. Even your GN that “can’t/doesn’t/won’t” sway.

Sway Control

...and another. Now you have choices.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  3. Loganwayne

Loganwayne #BTL

Not trying to get into this pissing match but I was glazing over those. They wire into the trailer brake to control the trailer. If you had a badly built trailer or it was loaded wrong wouldn’t it just end up burning up the brakes from continued braking being applied?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. BigSouth

Not sure. I don’t own one. I’m just pouring gas on the dumpster fire at this point. I use a friction style.

5. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

Dumpster fire as in you making a fool of yourself and giving us a good laugh? I dont haul steel anymore, so Ive no dog in this fight, but you have been proven wrong, accept it, learn from it (thats why I follow these threads), and get on with life.

braxton357 likes this.
  6. BigSouth

Another man discounting another’s experience is what I call a dumpster fire. Anybody telling me I didn’t see what I saw or feel what I felt is automatically an “assclown” in my book. I’ll gladly add your name to that list if you like. I come to this site for opposition. If you think you’re gonna sit behind a keyboard on an internet forum and “prove” something, you’re delusional.

7. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

Like I said, I dont have a dog in the fight, but the overwhelming majority of experiences and data shows that you are wrong. But by all means, keep pouring gasoline on your fire, just shows that you are a fool.

8. BigSouth

Until you’ve met me face to face, and shook my hand, your opinion is irrelevant. And as father of Scout members, I’d expect better from someone sporting an Eagle Scout badge in the signature line.

9. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

But you see, its not my opinion. I have no opinion on bumper pull vs gooseneck vs 5th wheel. The facts are that 5th wheel and gooseneck inherently sway less, and thus do not need sway control. As for my opinion on you, I dont know you personally or what life holds for you right now, so I wont judge you as a person. But you are making a fool of yourself by trying to argue well known facts based on "experience".

So what do you expect from a scout? A pushover? Someone who just goes with whatever, regardless of whether correct or not? Because when I came through scouts we were taught to always try and do right and to help others. Im on this thread to learn more about the subject. You appear to be on here to argue against facts and make a fool of yourself.

C.Berry likes this.
  10. Ron

Ron Dum Spiro Spero Moderator

That's a pretty hard standard to me to live up to, especially for a Christian. Even though I am 90% sure we've met face to face. But I digress...

I dont have a dog in this fight, necessarily. I only own (2) bumper pull trailers but I have owned GN and 5ers before.

The point where I differ with @BigSouth is this.
    With a weight distributing hitch the entire physics are to force the two couple points apart and move weight towards either extreme. You will never move the weight center beyond the rear axle with a weight distributing hitch and a bumper pull. At best using a WD hitch and a sway controller with a bumper pull you can HOPE to gain the same performance as a GN or 5er. Any potential WD or sway control product for a GN, that actually works, would just further the performance separation between the two styles.

You seem to be indicating that you believe a WD htch on a bumper pull makes it more stable than a GN configuration, when ALL OTHER FACTORS BEING EQUAL (weight, length, speed, load and tow vehicle) this isnt a matter of opinion. A GN will perform superior every single time in sway control and stability. Every time. Without Fail. There isnt a debate its science.

You say your tow vehicle is static so you choose a WD hitch...but the sway control is still a function of rubber contact with ground. The bars and jack screws only move the energy towards the tires of the bumper pull. A place where they already are with a GN.

I mean you are certainly entitled to your opinion and your experiences are your experiences no one can argue that.

But to tell anyone that a bumper pull is more stable than a GN ALL OTHER FACTORS BEING EQUAL...well thats akin to you saying that 80 degree water is colder than that 40 degree water. I jumped in both and I was shivering much worse after the 80 degree water. I cant argue how you felt, but I can tell you that scientifically, which is colder.

If I am missing your point, or dont get your argument PLEASE correct me and explain where I missed the point you were making.

I think there are a BUNCH of good, valid reasons to own a bumper pull over a GN trailer. Load stability however isnt one of them. Regardless of tow vehicle.

braxton357 and JSJJ388 like this.
  11. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

Its not my opinion on whether gn and 5th wheels need sway control, its fact.

So what do you expect? A scout is Honest. Honestly, youre making a fool of yourself by arguing against facts! As an Eagle Scout, I am thoroughly disappointed in what has become of a once great organization. We can go into details or debate privately if youd like, but its not the BSA that I grew up in and taught me so much of what I know.

12. BigSouth

@JSJJ388 @Ron I’ll encourage you to scroll back and find where I said my setup was better than anyone else’s. I merely stated why I chose what I did. Then that conversation evolved into a debate on sway, whether it exists or not on different styles of hookups. I’ve experienced what I call “sway” in a GN configuration several times hauling farm equipment. Pass an 18 wheeler on a 2 lane road and had my entire rig move from line to line 2 or 3 revolutions. Not to the point of fishtail, but beyond my comfort threshold. A large tractor with a front end loader and a bush hog attached. There’s only 2 ways to load that configuration and not all loads can be made perfect. I like my current setup for variations in tongue weight and the ability to add sway control. I prefer my setup based on my experiences. Disagree with me if you like, but convince me that I’m a fool? That ain’t happening!! I do appreciate @Ron tone in both of his messages. Try to understand my perspective before you go on the offensive.

13. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

I can think of at least 1 scenario where you are wrong. Very heavy load on a long tongue trailer on a steep sidehill. Higher GN mounting point makes the truck more likely to roll over. </troll>

JSJJ388 and Ron like this.
  14. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

An appeal to authority and an ad hominem attack

I finally got this link to load. It's a marketing page for a special tag trailer hitch that "eliminates sway". They talk about friction-style sway devices and how they're band-aids and have parts that wear out, decreasing the efficacy of the anti-sway mechanism.

Here's their hitch:
    [​IMG]

It fixes the pivot point at the ball and shifts it mechanically to a point near the rear axle of the tow vehicle, "making it impossible for the trailer to sway" (their words).

So, the only reference you've cited on trailer sway says that the permanent fix is to switch to a gooseneck-style hitch. That's interesting.

JSJJ388 likes this.
  15. BigSouth

That’s literally the first site that popped up on a Google search, but by all means, consider that a direct quote.... because that makes perfect sense.

16. Ron

That's why I'm the salesman and Shawn is the Architect.

Shrug, why he makes the big bucks I guess...

rockcity, jeepinmatt and BigSouth like this.
  17. 72Rockcruiser

72Rockcruiser Prestige Worldwide

This is true. I almost had a bad situation with my 30’ GN with 2 rigs on it.

Was Pulling up to the cabins behind the exxon at Harlan @ 4am and exhausted from a long trip due to blowing intercooler boots constantly coming up fancy gap. Took the turn a bit too sharp and luckily realized before it got too bad.

Otherwise, I definitely prefer GN. My SRW Ford was usually pretty stable (almost)no matter how it was loaded. My DRW Dodge didn’t give a damn how it was loaded.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  18. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid How's your hammer hangin'?

With a rollover threat, I'd think an equipment trailer would be more stable than a deckover since the deck height is ten inches lower.

19. JSJJ388

JSJJ388 GREEN GREMLIN

And I'm the detailer that has to draw the architects pipe dreams at the under cut price the salesman sold it for...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

77GreenMachine, GONOVRIT and Ron like this.
  20. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

Especially one with mobile home axles because 'Merica!

21. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid How's your hammer hangin'?

Hellll nah. I don't even like mobile home axles when they're under mobile homes!

doc likes this.
  22. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

[​IMG]

tlucier, trailhugger, JSJJ388 and 4 others like this.
  23. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

I prefer a GN for the following reasons:
    No more busted shins on my trailer ball mount
    Fewer friends can borrow it
    Impressing friends when backing into tight spots

I prefer a bumper pull for the following reasons:
    No more busting my head open on the neck of the GN
    Only friends with appropriate trucks ask to borrow it
    I takeout fewer curbs/mailboxes/shrubbery when backing into tight spots

24. rockcity

rockcity everyday is a chance to get better

The only major problem with a GN is the loss of bed space. When I go on trips I usually pack the bed of the truck with things I want to keep dry and close the tonneau cover and everything else goes on the open tag along trailer. If I had a GN I'd be SOL on keeping anything dry if it rained...

An enclosed trailer would be nice but it's another significant expense with limited use.

25. Ron

See this is why I actually prefer a bumper pull.
    I'm going to let them borrow the trailer either way, and with a GN they are going to be borrowing my truck as well. But i am OCD about my truck seat. I hate someone moving it.