Buying a single car/truck trailer....

doc

Odd Member
I am finally going to buy a car trailer to drag behind my F-350 & occasionally my F-250.

I have two upcoming transports (personal vehicles) & figured now is finally time.

Any pointers, brands to avoid, etc?

Figured 18' bumper pull, etc....I usually puck up fullsize trucks & cars.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I really like a removable fender. I bought an 18' one used and it was the nicest flat deck trailer I had ever had but it had 4" drop axles under it making it sit low and in turn making the fenders tall. Without removing the fender you couldn't open the door on much of anything. Stake pockets around the perimeter of the trailer make it nice for tieing down odd shaped or sized odds and ends also. I prefer a flat deck these days also as im not planning on using it as a rack to drop the trans or oil pan at the track and dont need the open center. I have had a few and I liked my Kraftsman the best overall.

I have a Kaufman and have been pleased. I ordered mine with drive-over fenders, though it is just wide enough that I don't have to drive over them. You can also order it with removable fenders. They said a lot of the classic car guys that trailer to car shows get those so they can open the door.

Depending on the vehicles you are going to be towing you might want to decide if you want a dovetail or not. If they are not low and you do not plan on ever bottoming out the vehicle while loading and unloading then you might not need a dovetail. I am not sure what the name of it is but the lip on the rear of the trailer for the ramps going the whole width is cool so you can load different things that have different widths (sorry, that was a terrible sentence). The width on my stock samurai is not the same as someone else with full width axles and its nice to be able to slide the ramps closer to each other or spread them apart if need be. I have used my trailer to haul vending machines and it would have been even worse loading those suckers up if the ramps could not be slid close enough for the handtruck to go on to. Also, a long enough tongue so you can add a box later to store chains, straps, bulbs etc would be nice to have.

get the deck as wide as possible, between the fenders (~84", iirc). I like to get the deck fullwidth in front and rear of fenders, if possible. I recommend brakes on both axles and upgraded axles (5200lb). If you can get 15 or 16" wheels, that is preferred also. I also prefer a wood deck vs steel.

I like my T&W trailer. It was cheap and made just like I wanted. I'd change a few things but I'd buy another tomorrow if I needed another.

Many others here have T&W trailers and have good things to say. I think they could use a couple more supports than what they normally use on their standard trailer but a quick conversation with Warren and he can add more if you want.

I think the only one that has bad things to say about the T&W trailers doesn't even own one and just borrowed one some time long ago. :flipoff2:

I like my T&W trailer. It was cheap and made just like I wanted. I'd change a few things but I'd buy another tomorrow if I needed another.

Many others here have T&W trailers and have good things to say. I think they could use a couple more supports than what they normally use on their standard trailer but a quick conversation with Warren and he can add more if you want.

I think the only one that has bad things to say about the T&W trailers doesn't even own one and just borrowed one some time long ago. :flipoff2:

Same here. Works fine for what I use it for and the price was right. Ask me again in 10 years though if it is still together.

11264468474_c28de22197.jpg

Kaufman utility trailers

Have you considered a bumper pull deckover?
Have you considered my bumper pull deckover? :D I'll hook ya up!

Get more deck and more axle capacity than you think you need. Now's the time to do so if you're buying new. Kaufman quality is outstanding and their inventory is impressive as well.

Have you considered a bumper pull deckover?
Have you considered my bumper pull deckover? :D I'll hook ya up!

Get more deck and more axle capacity than you think you need. Now's the time to do so if you're buying new. Kaufman quality is outstanding and their inventory is impressive as well.

Great trailer, way heavy for my needs....I used to pull broncomania's deckover some, great versatility, heavy duty, & heavy.

If you can get it upgraded to 6-lug or 8-lug wheels (5200# axles/brakes) with 16" rubber, do it. Then you can run cheap, easy to find LT truck tires on it.

I'm pretty pleased with my Big Tex

$1900
Dexter axles
Brakes
Spare mount & Spare
Lockable hidden ramps
Good tires
Removable fenders

View attachment 234189

I looked at Big Tex because the dealer is 2 miles from my house. The frames on the 60CH are only good for 6k GVWR and not 7k like most other trailers, that is where you really see the price savings. You need to be careful since the trailer weighs about 1,460# (based on their site), leaving 4.5k only for the vehicle. Good for a car trailer, but for a 4x4 rig you get a lot closer to the upper weight limit. If you compare the frames you them you can really see where it isn't as heavy duty.

NP... I wasn't talking to you, but to @rockcity and his babydeathtrap trailer.

Whatever works I guess.

my affordable T&W trailer pulled by a Ford diesel seems to work very well. :D

However as Shawn has recommended, my trailer has upgraded 5200# axles with 16" wheels and brakes on both axles, so it's not nearly a babydeathtrap that he may think. Maybe a puppy death trap but not babydeathtrap like I see others on here pulling. :lol:

I bought a 16 ft Kaufman steel deck dove tail trailer with single braking axle and removable fenders a little over 10 yrs ago. My cab truck on ton axles and 42" tires would not fit between the fenders, so the removable fenders came in handy.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy the same trailer but with bigger axles that both have brakes.

After lots of research, I got mine from Rampant trailers in Wendell. I ended up with a 19ft trailer, 16ft deck, adjustable hitch, 10k axles, removable fenders, steel deck, spare tire and 3ft dove for around 3,700 out the door. Great place to work with! You might have to be a little patient if they have to build it for you, but they did make sure I had mine when they quoted it.
My 71 Commando with 40s and full size axles fits great on it!

:nopics:

i have a 18ft d&e steel deck (16ft deck, 2ft dove) came with 7k axles w/ brakes on both, adjustable hitch, lockable ramps. i have put around 10k miles on it in the past 2 years or so and havent had a single problem, not even a blowout! came from a dealer in aberdeen think it was something like $4200 out the door. they are a little expensive but the quality is top notch

I bought mine from a company called copperriver fabricators. they do outstanding work and everything is custom to you. $3400 out the door. 10k axles, 17 foot with 3 foot dove. i did move the spare tire to under the bed, install a receiver for a winch and add deck lights.

Attachments

• 20150209_164238.jpg
    20150209_164238.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 20150209_164312.jpg
    20150209_164312.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 395
Rampant trailers in Wendell

Those are the guys that used to be Pro-Line. I'm not sure why the changed the name, maybe change in ownership or something. But the shop is in the same spot.

Back