Camper Antennas?

My trailer came with a very nice tv antenna. At my chop I can get 40+ channels.

Thing is..where WE go....I've never gotten a single station

Kairos
Ranch
Potts

all out of range of a digital antenna because we're usually surrounded by mountains

You can go to the FCC site and put in the address and it'll show available channels and the strength. Likely need a directional antenna to get some of them. And as Troy mentioned, might still not happen.

Might be better using a mobile Hotspot and streaming tv.

Last year I replaced the King Jack directional antenna on my Winnebago with a Winegard Air360. The shaft that turned the King broke, and wasn't worth fixing.

When I first put it on, I tested it while the motorhome was still inside the shop (metal building). Got more channels there than up at the house, with an omni antenna in the attic.

In real use camping, it's hit or miss. Too many places we go the signals are just too week for an omni (mountains). The King Jack brought in more channels, IF it was pointed in the right direction. Problem was, if there were stations *behind* the antenna, you had to turn it, then take ten minutes to re-scan channels on the TV.

When we were camping in the commo-shelter, I had an old Phillips onmi on a milsurp mast...went up 25' or so. That worked very well. Anytime you can get an antenna higher, it will work better.

Thing is..where WE go....I've never gotten a single station

Kairos
Ranch
Potts

all out of range of a digital antenna because we're usually surrounded by mountains
My house as well, but with a dual-bank "deep fringe" + amp, manage to get all the stations to the south, some 60 miles away straightline...

My brother @Tater has a typical 3' long yagi mounted to a 24' telescoping "paintpole" we strap to the tongue jack and does pretty good!
Usual networks/channels at WindRock, BigDogs, Kaos, Kairos, & Slade, KY...

Last edited:
Back