Camper top for the tow pig

anvilrubi

Anybody have experience with any leer dealers? I’m interested in purchasing one for the tow pig.

Mine is an ARE. One feature I upgraded too is the ability to fold down the front glass. This allows me to clean the truck’s back glass and the camper’s front glass. Leer probably offers that too.
Another feature I upgraded was the roof rack. Mine came with a Yakima roof rack. I’ve had 3 kayaks and and mountain bike on top all at once.

756996A6-CFB0-4D33-A5A4-546B9FF587FC.jpeg

Had a used Leer with my new home 2002 Silverado.
It was at a Leer dealer
No issues. Pop still runs it to date 15 yrs later (he wanted that truck when I upgraded)

I rolled that way for 3 trips with the CTB. Got tired of waking up and not being able to stand up. A severe hamstring cramp convinced me to buy a slide-in pop up. Now I sleep dry, can stand up AND have heat and AC for only a little more than a topper

I figure it’s the best way to eliminate the tent and keep everything dry.

They aren't 100% waterproof, and some are more water-tight than others.

I bought an ARE high-top used off CL. If it were the same height as the truck, I could leave it on more of the time (short enough for the parking deck), but the shorter ones are a bigger pain in the ass to get in and out of. @GONOVRIT has the contractor tops with the big lift-up doors on both sides. Those are great for camping, because everything doesn't end up piled within 2ft of the tailgate. But you're also much less likely to find some skeezer on CL trying to unload one for cheap.

Definitely would rather have one more water tight, open to any brand. Not really worried about parking decks I might have been in 1 in the past 5 years.

Whatever you end up with, buy a bedslide. Freaking awesome for a camper shell truck. Everything is within reach.

We camped in ours for 4 yrs. Mid high top, contractor windows, carpet on the inside with led’s. I built a very simple frame out of square 1” tube that had a platform on top for a 4” memory foam mattress. Stored 4 totes on wheels underneath it. 2 for tools/crawler parts, other 2 for food/camping supplies. Worked out great. The ARE back hatch/window goes up near vertical. I’m 5’11 and can stand up on my tailgate with it open.

Back