Car washes, the coin type

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
So I haven’t used a car wash in a long time (the ones with a pressure washer and you feed it quarters) and have they been gubment-afied like gas cans and such? I ask because the pressure sucks! Back in the day those things would take clear coat off of you got to close, which is probably why they are so weak now (thanks lawsuits).

Before he posts, I know my buddy @CasterTroy will post a schematic of how all the water is recirculated and it is nasty; but this was on the old dodge and while I wasting for a daughter to finish her riding lesson :D

My detail guy told me if you got a vehicle you care about keep it out of those and especially the laser wash. The chemicals used are so harsh they strip any protective wax, and will eat away at the clear coat.

But it’s perfect for that old raggedy Dodge of yours. :D

Last edited:
.gov/insurance claims reduced pressures allowed at car washes because of potential cutting right thru flesh.

Besides recirculating and chemical issues, I hate spending $9 just to rinse for 8 min

Last edited:
My detail guy told me if you got a vehicle you care about keep it out of those and especially the laser wash. The chemicals used are so harsh they strip and protective wax, and will eat away at the clear coat.

Crap, when I am lazy, that is my go to

My detail guy told me if you got a vehicle you care about keep it out of those and especially the laser wash. The chemicals used are so harsh they strip any protective wax, and will eat away at the clear coat.

Of course your detail guy said that. He loves your money!

Not saying it isn't true......

My .02:

The issue isn't that the pump pressures have gone down, the nozzle on the gun could be and most likely is worn out. As the chemical passes through the brass nozzles, they simply wear out and affect the spray pattern and therefore the pressure at the nozzle. Its a consumable in the carwash world and unfortunately something a lot of owners overlook. Self serve units put out around 1000psi-1100psi on high pressure functions when paired with the correct nozzle. That has been pretty consistent for about 30 years. Overall the technology in the self serve market hasn't changed greatly when it comes to the pump stations. It has just become more reliable and better for the owner/operator.

Anyone who thinks a Self Serve isn't going to clean a vehicle well or do it harm is welcome to check out my dually and see what kind of condition the clearcoat and paint is in. It gets washed at one about every week.

As for the detail guy saying a touch free machine will strip wax and clearcoat...of course he would say that, he is the detail guy that wants your business. He would probably also say that the soft touch machines scratch cars. But the chemical guy for that touch free unit that wants his customer to have a successful business would say that yes the chemicals they use to clean a car with a machine like that are harsh in concentrated form, but at the proper dilution ratios and titration levels they are of no harm to a vehicle. If they were, he wouldn't be employed with a roster of successful clients in that market. Worried about a touch free machine? My daily gets run through about 3 a day on average. Sometimes more. Its finish is in better shape than it was 9 months ago.

Oh...and in the self serve model the owner is selling time. One that is set up properly will clean a car just fine, but it is supposed to take a little while to rinse off all that soap. ;)

As a self claimed OCD clean freak I have to say: "WTF?!?!"
253B2338-A6C9-485D-9DCE-0536287B47B8.jpeg

Previous post...it’s me, I’m the chemical guy. :D

My .02:

The issue isn't that the pump pressures have gone down, the nozzle on the gun could be and most likely is worn out. As the chemical passes through the brass nozzles, they simply wear out and affect the spray pattern and therefore the pressure at the nozzle. Its a consumable in the carwash world and unfortunately something a lot of owners overlook. Self serve units put out around 1000psi-1100psi on high pressure functions when paired with the correct nozzle. That has been pretty consistent for about 30 years. Overall the technology in the self serve market hasn't changed greatly when it comes to the pump stations. It has just become more reliable and better for the owner/operator.

Anyone who thinks a Self Serve isn't going to clean a vehicle well or do it harm is welcome to check out my dually and see what kind of condition the clearcoat and paint is in. It gets washed at one about every week.

As for the detail guy saying a touch free machine will strip wax and clearcoat...of course he would say that, he is the detail guy that wants your business. He would probably also say that the soft touch machines scratch cars. But the chemical guy for that touch free unit that wants his customer to have a successful business would say that yes the chemicals they use to clean a car with a machine like that are harsh in concentrated form, but at the proper dilution ratios and titration levels they are of no harm to a vehicle. If they were, he wouldn't be employed with a roster of successful clients in that market. Worried about a touch free machine? My daily gets run through about 3 a day on average. Sometimes more. Its finish is in better shape than it was 9 months ago.

Oh...and in the self serve model the owner is selling time. One that is set up properly will clean a car just fine, but it is supposed to take a little while to rinse off all that soap. ;)

Fair points.

Used to work on both the wand type and "automatic rollover" versions...
Went to one of the drive thru brush type sites up in N. Ral years ago... the top brush interrupt switch (*supposed* to keep it OUT of a truck bed) had failed, wound up the poly rope attached to mushroom boat anchor. First bang, the truck driver rolled off the switch and drove away... the lady behind him in a brand new Caddy wasn't as bright! Beat the entire hood/roof/trunk into a bathtub, broke all the glass, and deposited about 20 gallons of (to @BigClay 's point) "recycled sewage" inside. Between those scenarios and the brushes, we regularly shoveled 55 gal. cans of various automotive crap (mirrors, antennas, moldings & emblems) from the floors/grease traps of those systems.

And one sure way to get the owners/operators dander up in a coin-op is to NOT wash the 50# of filth (off your rig) into the traps 🤣

I'm always amazed and the kinds of vehicles that get their tires shined. Pulled up at a cas station the other day and a dude pulled up beside me in a clapped out buick, peeling paint, a big ol dent, the works. Home boy starts pumping gas and then pulls out a can of tire shine and grabs a handful of those blue towels from the pump and starts going to town on his tires. Who TF you trying to impress in that hoopty with shiney tires?

I consider my tires "shined" if there is no mud on them.

Back