Cheapo Tow Rig project

I’ve actually found some good deals on goosenecks

I always thought I did too until I looked and could get a brand new one built for a few hundred dollars more and didn't have to deal with someone else's used stuff that might need deck boards, brakes, or tires.

Normal would be 25-30 psi at hot idle and 55-60 psi driving. If you were idling and going 56 mph, then that's perfect :D

Can't wait to see the interior...he definitely had his work cut out for him!

Great now I am a little worried about it.

Yes the detail guy has some work to do. His wife helps him, and said when I dropped it off she’s been dreading it all week. She said the rubber floors are actually more of a pain than carpet.

As long as it has more than 0 psi of oil pressure, run it. :driver:

62dcd3ad2f89705c7685f5956f48816b.jpg

eb1c15ec96839f93c1ec885e8a9bd7e7.jpg

c5453ebea4b474fd96f776ec67f815ae.jpg

8bdd70093c7387919a123f1982473fc2.jpg

822c352417b500d2bd4024cfbdd79ba6.jpg

c3b1070b19ef4e6a308c58c07ba755e4.jpg

11e55ece81359f76142ad31f893b6db1.jpg

f12ecc0d510427d04ee5895b59fbd5cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the truck back today. My guy said it was the worst he’s ever done. It looks great inside. Smells amazing and doesn’t even look like the same truck.

I drove it about 100 miles today, it done great on the highway and everything seemed great. I did get a check engine light however. Gonna change the oil tomorrow so when I run to Oriellys to get a filter I’ll have them scan it.

He always does. I usually throw him $20-30 more than what he quotes me. In this case he said $150. It was money well paid.

This guy built a 2 bay shop behind his house and left his job of 10 years to do this full time. He now stays so busy you have to schedule a week or more in advance.

He always does. I usually throw him $20-30 more than what he quotes me. In this case he said $150. It was money well paid.

This guy built a 2 bay shop behind his house and left his job of 10 years to do this full time. He now stays so busy you have to schedule a week or more in advance.
I need contact info.

Adam Bennett
‭(336) 870-8 four six 8‬

Tell him I sent you.

Last edited:
Looks like you bought another new truck :D

Does it have hydroboost brakes?

@Croatan_Kid im not sure. I keep meaning to check and forget when I’m under the hood. The brakes feel so good and it being an HD I have assumed it does. I will check shortly.

I picked up my trailer last night. None of the lights work, but they worked with my moms truck last night so I know it is on my end. May need to rewire the plug. The trailer brakes do work, which is a bonus because I thought the old brake controller in this truck didn’t work.

It does have hydroboost brakes.

@Croatan_Kid im not sure. I keep meaning to check and forget when I’m under the hood. The brakes feel so good and it being an HD I have assumed it does. I will check shortly.

I picked up my trailer last night. None of the lights work, but they worked with my moms truck last night so I know it is on my end. May need to rewire the plug. The trailer brakes do work, which is a bonus because I thought the old brake controller in this truck didn’t work.
Could just be fuses, that generation truck should have seperate fuses for truck lights and trailer lights.

It does! They're in the fuse box under the hood. There's a possibility the wires could be messed up from where the connector plugs in under the bed to the 7 pin itself. The wiring is like 8" or so and the 7 pin twists in or out of the bracket that holds it on the hitch. Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

The reason I asked about hydroboost is if if ever needs a new booster, you can replace it with one for a 2011 2500 Duramax and it will greatly improve the pedal feel, plus that particular booster was way cheaper for a new one than a reman for my 02 at the time I bought it. The reman leaked after 4000 miles.

Checked the fuses under the hood and the panel inside the cab. Everything is good there. Guess I’ll need to check it good under the bed good.

Changed the oil and the pressure is up over 40psi at idle and climbs with throttle. Makes me feel a lot better!
The CEL was for a misfire, it’s gone now. Not sure if it will come back.

Now to solve the trailer light issue later and maybe a towing test this week. With all this rain and the truck being 2wd I can’t be going in my back yard too much. I already got it stuck once.

Sweet! The oil didn't smell like gas or anything did it?

Ahh yes, the downfall of a good deal...it's usually 2wd!

Nope just smelled like burnt motor oil. Put 5w30 in with a Wix filter.

The parking brake light is always on as well as the ABS and the DIC says “service brake system”. The parking brake didn’t work. Today I adjusted the shoes and it works fine now but I still have all the lights and message. I want to figure this out because lights on the dash like that drive me nuts. I can ignore it but if it’s simple I want to fix it. Any advice @Croatan_Kid ?

Reach up under the dash and unplug the ground wire from the parking brake assembly if it dings when the parking brake light comes on.

My 99 has an intermittent issue where the parking brake and ABS lights will come on, but all I've ever been able to come up with is a loose body ground underneath the truck. It does it so rarely that I never bothered digging any deeper.

Going to Rausch Creek in May. I had planned to rent a Powerstroke from Enterprise ($380)
I am considering driving this truck instead. Based on round trip at 7mpg, it would only save me $200 to drive my truck vs the rental. This being if nothing goes wrong.
I look at this 2 ways

1) I plan to drive it to Harlan in August. If I trust it to Harlan, why not trust it one hour further to PA?
2) The company I bought it from kept up with it and sent it with equipment and a crew to a job several states away and trusted it, granted they have now retired it but they still have the same trucks with similar mileage in service.

I would get AAA to cover myself, but what do y'all think?

Going to Rausch Creek in May. I had planned to rent a Powerstroke from Enterprise ($380)
I am considering driving this truck instead. Based on round trip at 7mpg, it would only save me $200 to drive my truck vs the rental. This being if nothing goes wrong.
I look at this 2 ways

1) I plan to drive it to Harlan in August. If I trust it to Harlan, why not trust it one hour further to PA?
2) The company I bought it from kept up with it and sent it with equipment and a crew to a job several states away and trusted it, granted they have now retired it but they still have the same trucks with similar mileage in service.

I would get AAA to cover myself, but what do y'all think?

You bought it to tow with. It’s not doing that sitting in the driveway. If you don’t feel like it can make the trip. Then you need to really consider selling it and trying to make a quick buck after you cleaned it up.

Drive it as much as you can now, either towing or just running around, and see how it does. Get under it and check brakes, steering and front suspension. Change transmission filter and fluid, change diff oil, etc. Get some miles on it and see what needs attention.

As mentioned though, if you don't trust it to tow with then why keep it?

You bought it to tow with. It’s not doing that sitting in the driveway. If you don’t feel like it can make the trip. Then you need to really consider selling it and trying to make a quick buck after you cleaned it up.

This
Drive it as much as you can now, either towing or just running around, and see how it does. Get under it and check brakes, steering and front suspension. Change transmission filter and fluid, change diff oil, etc. Get some miles on it and see what needs attention.

As mentioned though, if you don't trust it to tow with then why keep it?
This as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I would do a test tow down to Uwharrie before heading out that far.

Back