Cherokee issue

Rob

Administrator
Administrator
I haven't seen this happen, just going by what the wife said. Jeep will be going down the freeway fine. All of a sudden it loses power or cuts off, give it gas, engine does not rev. Pull over, come to a complete stop, sit a minute and continue on with no issue. Computer does not throw any codes. Any ideas?

My dodge did the same thing to me when I had a Jet Chip in it. Does she have any kind of power chip and/or programer? My truck would just cut off cruising down the road. I would pull over, wait a second and then it would start right up. I got rid of the chip and have not had a problem since.

InTank fuel pump? Those crazy bastids cause a multitude of issues from no starts, crappy running, etc... could it be going momentarily? Brent's was running, but stumbled unless you eased into throttle... pump had plenty of flow (evidenced by it running...though poorly), but had weak pressure (evidenced by ZERO fuel from regulator bypass)... We swapped it out and it runs like champ... no stumble & PLENTY of flow out the bypass!

97, and I will be checking the fuel pressure this weekend. With 150k miles on it, and advice from Andy, I'm betting that's it. Looks like the wife will be driving the daughters car the rest of the week. Thanks all.

orange150 said:
ive had similar issues with the fuel pump in my 98 grand. Jeep was smart enough to not put a fuel filter on it.

It does have a fuel filter, it is just in the tank, on the bottom of the fuel pickup. It is not, however, available separately.

I am betting that is what you have happening Rob.....get the whole module and you should be set.

Andy

I'm going to pick up a fuel pressure gauge after work and try to test it Saturday. I'll give ya a call Andy.

I will have to say the Crank Position Sensor will also exhibit those symptoms.
Most likely its that or the fuel pump.

zubz said:
It does have a fuel filter, it is just in the tank, on the bottom of the fuel pickup. It is not, however, available separately.

I am betting that is what you have happening Rob.....get the whole module and you should be set.

Andy

Wouldn't the single layer micron screen in the pickup be classified more as a "strainer" than a "filter" :confused:

Rob said:
Same symtoms?

Wel mine would occasionaly not start and I had no fuel pressure and then it would start and run fine It was intermitant.

If you have a cloged fuel filter then under a load it should allways stall out. not just driving down the road intermitantly. After all you can only pass so much fuel through a cloged filter. It could also be a issue with a coil or dist modual failing or it could also be a fuel pump

amcjeepman said:

Crank Position sensor or Throttle Position Sensor. All the Crank sensor's I've seen throw a code, it did on my jeep. No codes on this one yet. Had a #1 cylynder misfire code, sparkplug boot looked loose, reset that, will test to see if it throws it again. If so I may lean towards a bad CPS. Come to think of it, it does seem to work hard starting, 3 or 4 cranks. Which is also a sign of the CPS.

I had that very exact same thing happen to the PSD work truck. I think we changed a sensor (TPS I think) and 2 injectors and no problems since...

amcjeepman said:

Either way you are looking at $$.

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
Either way you are looking at $$.

That adds a lot to a technical discussion. It's a vehicle, repairs cost money.

I scanned the computer again tonight, no codes at all. So I'm leaning towards fuel pump. I got a fuel pressure test gauge, just need to get some longer hoses so I can test while driving it.

Sorry for the frankness.
The fuel pump and sensor are each near 100. Narrow the problem before you replace things. You are getting alot of "could bes." I wish I could help. Talk to a mechanic. ;)

Rob said:
Crank Position sensor or Throttle Position Sensor. All the Crank sensor's I've seen throw a code, it did on my jeep. No codes on this one yet. Had a #1 cylynder misfire code, sparkplug boot looked loose, reset that, will test to see if it throws it again. If so I may lean towards a bad CPS. Come to think of it, it does seem to work hard starting, 3 or 4 cranks. Which is also a sign of the CPS.

last summer i was having the exact same problems but no codes. after a new fuel pump still had the stalling, cutting off, etc. I replaced the CPS and all was well. Its like it wouldn't cause a problem long enough to throw a code but it only takes a split second to mess up and stall out the motor. it was wierd, but CPS took care of it. but try easy stuff first like the fuel pump relay.

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
Sorry for the frankness.
The fuel pump and sensor are each near 100. Narrow the problem before you replace things. You are getting alot of "could bes." I wish I could help. Talk to a mechanic. ;)

If you don't have any technical help to offer, stay out of my post. :mad:

if CPS is suspect, some times you can let the engine idle and wiggle the wire and sensor and get it to stumble and screw up. I think the CPS was like $80, where as the Fuel pump on my '93 that Dave an I swapped out was in the $250 range.

My symptoms weren't like yours though, mine just ran like ass if you did any more than barely touch the throttle.

Do this. unplug the return off the fuel rail, throw a hose on the fuel rail where teh return attaches and run it into a container. fire up the Jeep and see if any fuel comes out. If not, that's a good sign that the pump is going south.

But Flat cuttingg off while going down the road? sounds electrical to me, not fuel. Fuel would generally spit and sputter and then die.

Rob, your scan tool should have a data record function on it, and there "should be " a crank pulse count as well.

Hook it up and go for a ride while recording info. when it dies, then check the data.

I'd have to play with your scanner more to know exactly what info it'll spew forth.

Kevin

In addition to the wiggle test on the CPS - (as per mbalbritton above)
I have had some luck with a long screwdriver or dowel rod (or similar) tapping the CPS (CAREFULLY) with the engine running. If it falters or cuts off you can be pretty sure it is the CPS.

Back