Chipped Ring Gear Teeth. remember this post from sept.

I have a couple of busted teeth in my front dana25 from the spiders granading.A piece of a tooth was hidden way in the back and it didn't come out when I repaired it.Next wheelin trip and it came out and wedged between the housing and teeth and broke them off.I wanna fix it but thats been 4 years ago and it's still hanging in there.Did you have some earlier damage that might have left a chunk of metal in there?

Not in the front

WARRIORWELDING
I agree with the above. Either change your wheeling driving style or upgrade to bigger diffs in general You have a good point. Thanks for all the tech info.

Thanks to everyone for your honest opinion.. I do feel like I am at a crossroads right now. I either need to back off a bit or upgrade my axles.

I am going to look at my old ring gear from the rear
And see if there is any info on there I will post that
Up tonight

I could find a name on the old ring gear from when the rear was fixed the front and rear should have been the same.

but I am pretty sure it is Yukon

i

Just purely an opinioun here, I think that the d-30 for youre set up is fine, and being on a 33. I have seen very many of them get bashed on for years with no ring and pinoun problems. I have seen a few shaft failure(stock ones), but your gear failure is one of the very few (as in 1 or 2) I have seen. I would say fix it and carry on, maybe keep the bouncing down. I think of how many have wheeled the dog :poop: out of d30s in ecors and seen them take some true abuse and ask for more.

Another thing. Stop letting Doug spot for you!!!

Especially when you are being spotted by Doug who's constant instructions are "back up, back up, ok there's your line. Now nail it!"

I am going to give credit where it is due. If I would have listened to Doug back in the beginning in 2007
when I got the rock crawling fever after a camping trip to URE in my stock Jeep at a Zuwharrie event. I would not be where I am now . He told me not to spend money on the 30 or the 44 for that matter and consider two 60,s or at least a 44 and a 60 or 9 inch ford and sell my 44 and 30

I told him he was crazy. I did my own research and did not consult with him at all. I mean what could a Sammy guy know about Jeeps anyway. Doug and I are best friends . He is a more aggressive wheeler by nature then me and a lot of other guys we wheel with. But he has spotted me up obstacles I would not think doable. He has a good eye for it. He puts me on the right line but it is my right foot that has gotten me into trouble . I will say though that in 7 years of wheeling with Doug
I have only broke on the trail twice this time and a rear 44 axle because of my lead foot on a ledge. I trust Doug as my spotter but I need to control my skinny pedal also.

That Said I am going to build a stronger Rig starting in January .

If you are going to stick w/33's then I will echo the others who recommend a high pinion 30 from an XJ. I have seen several of these hold up to 35's with alloy axles. I would either do that or jump to a d44. I would not spend any money on a low pinion 30.

I disagree with the above.Know plenty of people who wheel and wheel hard on low pinion 30s and 33s and they do just fine. Fix it and adjust your wheelin style just a tad and you will do good.

I agree that your setup should last on 33s for a while. I have abused a low pinion 30 on 36s and it held up. You could fix it and it last quite a while, but how long till your wanting to maybe step up to a 35 and just wheel without worry? Bound to happen eventually. I love wheeling on 33s and keeping up with the bigger guys, but I do eventually want to be on 37s. If you think there is any possibility that you will go bigger or maybe just wheel harder in the future, I would replace the R&P but wouldn't spend anymore than that. Then you can sell that axle later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get really tired of spending money and working on that 30 do what I did. Find you some tons.:D
But w/ my wheeling style I'm sure I will be breaking them too.

Seriously I wheeled narrow trac d30/amc20 combo for four years and after two r/p and three axles in the 30 I got pretty tired of it. So I bought some 44's. Then I thought if I really want to beat on stuff I might as well go to tons. That's when I picked up a 60/14 combo and it snow balled from there and didn't look back. Hoping it will be a good investment over the years.

The one thing I haven't heard mentioned is improper break-in. The gear set needs proper heat cycles to break-in, then an oil change. Did you follow the mfg. recommendations?

Back