CJ5 prodject

raven mad

OK, so Im new here ... This is my jeep, I have gone round and round about posting it here or on other boards ... none the less ... here it is !!!!

1979 CJ5, I have been scrounging parts and crap for about a year when Im home ... Im starting with the front and rear diffs, suspention, and roll cage...
parts Ive got so far.
corp. 14 bolt rear 456, detroit.
tera 60 front housing
Chev. drw knuckles out.
dedenbear inner C's
land rover Discovery front radius arms
Skyjacker 7.5 inc. rear springs NEW, and a BTF rear stretch kit...
about 200 feet of 1.5 inc., 2 inc and 1.75 inc DOM
a set of Blast proof and bullet proof seats from a Blackwater Grizzly.
A set of high line tube fenders from Gen-Right
and a set of 5 up-armored 24 bolt hummer wheels, internal bead locks with run flats and 37 12.50 BFG Baja TA radials ...

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_0082.jpg

Keep the up-dates coming I enjoy the cj builds. I've got a cj project but haven't worked on it much in the past year. It looks like you have waited for the right parts :)... What motor and tranny are you going with?

motor

I am still out on the motor trany tcase choice... as a matter a fact Im open to ideas ( within reason) .... It has a desent running 304, 3 speed, dana 20 right now.... but the tcase exits the wrong side, so its gotta go ... I think My best option right now will be 4ltr. - AW4 - 241R. But If you know someone that has a good combo they want to sell complete I am open to ideas ....

today

Ok, so today I was moto. stuff showed up to rebuild the Chevy outers ... So I broke out my handy parts washer, a wire wheel grinder and alot of latex gloves .... I also finished up My coilover upper mounts, notched the hood so it would shut and latch ....

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_02_24_14_04_37_572.jpg

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_02_24_17_03_20_664.jpg

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_mail6.jpg

jeepy

and a side profile with the hood shut and the coil towers welded in .... on a side note, my daughter asked me if she could paint frog eyes on it ......LOL .....

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_02_22_10_57_44_330.jpg

At least she asked, my daughter would have done it and blamed her brother for it:). Im getting ready to build some flat fenders how about some pics of the fenders from different angles. ??? Whats the hole with the mesh cover for?

fender profile

bolth fenders have a hole cut in them, with a stainless steel incert that bolts in. you can get them with round 1/4 inc. holes, luvers, or solid I believe ... I am gonna build the inner fender wells and mount a tranny cooler on the inside of the passenger fender, with a small electric fan on it, facing outword and use the incert as a vent of sorts. Anyways, here are the profile pics of the fender ...

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_02_25_08_05_49_483.jpg

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_02_25_08_06_25_981.jpg

Whats your reasoning for going with the Disco radius arms? How does their design compare to the traditional Ford radius arm?

disco arms

Basicly the principle behind there design is identical to a ford radius arm ... Except the way that the disco arm mounts to the axle housing... with the disco arm, I was able to build my own mounting brackets. The disco. arms mount to the housing using 2 3/4inc. grade 8 bolts... The arms have 2 replacable bushings in them similar to the bushings on a (CAGE Offroad) universal dana 60 mount... If I would have had a set of ford radius arms, and the C's that weld to the housing I would have gone that rout, as is, I went to a U-pull it and walla, $10. and 45 minutes later I had a set of rover arms, bolts and bushings, went home, fired up my plasma, built a template and all in all, for about $20, 3 hours of my time, and lunch at Mcdonalds I had my front axle located ...

After that I dug up a JK factory front track bar, built some brackets and walla ..... it was def. the cheep way to go ... but this jeep is gonna be a daily driver when Im done, and not hard core rock rig ...

They are some nice lookin fenders. Thanks for the different views.

inner fenderwells

OK, so I only got one side built yesterday ... and tech. its not finished becouse I still need to finish drilling bolt holes and buy stainless hardware ...

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_02_27_09_48_05_992.jpg

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_02_27_09_48_34_946.jpg

distracted

Like I said, I only got one side done, two reasons.

1. A friend of mine is PCSing to Bragg and got here yesterday, so I was helping him get stuff done...

2. I bought a salvage 2005 jeep wrangler ... Theft recovery ... I will be using the 4.0 motor, 6 speed, complete harness, firewall, dash to transplant into my CJ5 ... I am picking it up tommarrow ... Its in realy good shape, so Ill be parting it out to support my CJ5 build... gonna sell everything on it that I dont use ... Hurray, a CJ5 with cruise, tilt, air, a heater that works, and premium sound (LOL) .... Ill post up pics of it tommarrow ...

I like the way the fenders are coming along. Are you going to weld it together or just bolt it?

inner fenderwells

I am going to bolt the inner fenderwells in I think ... They are made out of 1/8 plate, so as a complete fender they are heavy... Also, Ide like to be able to remove the inner fender if needed to work on the motor or access some thing... Im planning on visiting the local hardware store for stainless steel hardware tommarrow... Today holds a 6 hour trip to pick up the parts TJ and returne with it to its final resting place ...

Also, what do you think, my friend back in Oregon and I were talking and he thinks I should scrap the CJ frame and tansplant the Cj5 body onto the Tj frame ... and build new body mounts to support it !!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK ????

If it was a cj7 I would say yes, because the cj7 and tj are about the same length. A cj5 is about 10 inches shorter than a cj7 and the extra length is in between the wheels. Im sure with some cutting and welding it would work. I have read about people strechin 5 & 7. By the way I would check a local fastener company for the SS hardware, think finished project not what you need today. IMO

frame

I agree on the fasteners ... I hate paying for something twice !!!! As far as the frame.. I pushed my front suspention forward 3 inc. and the rear suspention back 6 inc. so it should be close ... if you look at the back of the cj5 body you will see that I cut out and ark on the rear wheel well openings, then I took the left side and welded it into the front of the right side and visa versa ( I will add before and after pic.) ....

Ultimetly, If I have to, I will stretch the CJ5 tub to match the TJ frame ... [COLOR="Red

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_110.jpg

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_79cj53.jpg

If you have already set-up the body for a 9" strech you should be good with the tj frame. I couldn't tell that or wasn't paying attention early:). You got any pics of your donor yet?

frame

I got it home today, runs realy good ... Ill take some pics tommarrow and send you a few ... Im sure I will have to bob the back of the TJ frame to make it work ... but no big deal there ....

frame

Well..... 2 weeks has gone bye. I bought a 2005 salvage jeep wrangler for its engine and trany... In the end I decided to strip the body and use the powertrain, frame, and complete wiring harness, parts of the dash and the stearing colum ... I have to go to Virginia tommarrow to see a spinal surgin (contact with a hard object while at work " the earth") .... When I get back I will be making some headway on the rear suspention and the front suspention !!!! for the time being here is a pic of my progress FORGIVE THE MESS LOL

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_03_13_19_09_33_154.jpg

progress

well, here goes. I finaly had some time today to work on the prodject .... with a lot of help from my 16 year old son I made some progress... I am hopefull that by next weekend the front and rear susp. will be done and the cj5 body will be firmly bolted down to the TJ frame ...

Here she lost some weight ... 8 inches off of the frame ...
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_03_19_11_30_35_551.jpg

here is the rear bumper ... the bumper is a BTF rear stretch bumper, with about 14" cut out of the middle, flipped upside down so that the shackles swing from the top... I welded a peice of 1/4" 4.5 inc. wide across to tie the frame rails together, then welded the pieces of the BTF bumper to that and capped the end's ... The winch plate is a piece of 1/4" as well ... I still need to buy correct hardware for the shackles, place the roller fairlead for the rear, bolt the winch down and finish the latteral supports for the winch plate ... But atleast I made some progress today ....
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_03_19_18_06_58_375.jpg

A side view of the rear bumper
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_2011_03_19_14_52_46_38.jpg

Lookin good so far, Atleast you have some help my 15 year old broke his foot and is in a cast for 4 weeks.

foot

Nice ... I think Im gonna abandon the original body mounts and tie the roll cage to the frame thrue the body (while sandwiching the body) in 8 locations ... I am still contemplating cutting the firewall out of the TJ tub I have, and weld it into the cj5 tub ... I had a friend over the other day and he had the great idea of buying new cj5 body panals, cutting and stretching them 10 inc., and removing the side body panals from the TJ tub and replacing them with the new cj5 panals ... UUUMMMM, OK .... was my responce ... Im not a very good body man ... Ill post up more pics this week as I make progress ...

Back