Concrete Retaining wall advice (using bunker/mafia/bin block)

@mcutler I might call Carl rose (and other places), $50 for delivery would be well worth it---that is dirt cheap actually even if they only hauled them 10 miles. Wonder how far he had to haul them to get them to you.
30 minutes, from Elkin to Mt Airy. At the time the block were 50 each. But that was 5 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

More grading today, it is crazy how much dirt I cut out and pull down the hill and it STILL needs a lot more cut out to get level. I have one section in the wall with a lot of rock that slows the process a little, but I guess on the other hand it's some big rocks to use for yard art. That is a 46" tire for reference.

Also a picture of the view from where the house will sit, can't wait to build one and move...

IMG_20171020_210426.jpg
IMG_20171020_210532.jpg

Mother Earth's nipple?
img_20171020_210532-jpg.256254

More grading today, it is crazy how much dirt I cut out and pull down the hill and it STILL needs a lot more cut out to get level. I have one section in the wall with a lot of rock that slows the process a little, but I guess on the other hand it's some big rocks to use for yard art. That is a 46" tire for reference.

Also a picture of the view from where the house will sit, can't wait to build one and move...

View attachment 256253 View attachment 256254
Pinnacle, King side of the pilot mountain?

View attachment 256253 View attachment 256254

Pinnacle, King side of mountain?

Only 20 minutes south of me... just saying...

Bring your buggy down, plenty of rocks, it's just tough to get TO them. Got the RZR up to the rock garden today but would have to cut a few more trees to get s buggy to it. Plus there is a nasty hill climb. If you ever have some time you want to help make some trails let me know. Many existing logging roads that have grown up with small trees.

Bring your buggy down, plenty of rocks, it's just tough to get TO them. Got the RZR up to the rock garden today but would have to cut a few more trees to get s buggy to it. Plus there is a nasty hill climb. If you ever have some time you want to help make some trails let me know. Many existing logging roads that have grown up with small trees.
In

I don't work just Anywhere! I get these Duplexes. I mean it has 2 doors, & 2 garages. Maybe it's a His & Hers? Hope they like the Lake in the back yard, with the Country Club, & Golf Course!

Attachments

• IMG_20171019_144144606_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171019_144144606_HDR.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 319
Called the county inspector today, he said anything over 4' in Stokes county has to be engineered. I called an engineer and he is supposed to get me an estimate, depending on price it may end up being two retaining walls that are 4' tall each haha! I figure it I build it like stairs and have a section between the two walls they can't call it an 8' tall wall.

I don't work just Anywhere! I get these Duplexes. I mean it has 2 doors, & 2 garages. Maybe it's a His & Hers? Hope they like the Lake in the back yard, with the Country Club, & Golf Course!

Those folks went to their architect and told him they wanted a house with at least one of everything. :shaking:

The random copper accents kill me

Those folks went to their architect and told him they wanted a house with at least one of everything. :shaking:
Fugly. That's a Lego built Hobbit Hole California Dreamin. Er sumthin?

Obviously these are single stack, and you can see in the radius where I poured concrete in the big openings. Hoping to rock mine at some point.
0c663c953c67e592c9fe69dd2eab683e.jpg
330339e6eaa42778b85a4813e9ecbbfc.jpg

That is nice looking. What size is that shop? I've often thought those blocks would make nice obstacles for the jeep......

@mcutler I might call Carl rose (and other places), $50 for delivery would be well worth it---that is dirt cheap actually even if they only hauled them 10 miles. Wonder how far he had to haul them to get them to you.
No input on the technique for building the wall, but Carl Rose and Sons is a great company to work with and for. We have bought a lot of rock and concrete from them and I am good friends with the owner.

That is nice looking. What size is that shop? I've often thought those blocks would make nice obstacles for the jeep......
28x48 building, both sheds are 16x27. Carport building is 24x25.

The blocks are handy for testing flex...

Mother Earth's nipple?
img_20171020_210532-jpg.256254
Ive heard a lot of older locals call it "the big titty"! I still laugh every time I go by cause I think of my great grandpa talking bout going to see the big titty! I can see it from the top of star ridge at my house

28x48 building, both sheds are 16x27. Carport building is 24x25.

Total sidebar, but curious what your input would be:

Lets say a tornado were to land JUST over your shops and took them down. Insurance gave you just enough money to replace what you had in the buildings (assume everything inside was salvaged)

Would you then build ONE building to replace all? If so, what size? Keep in mind, you've not got a blank check (I.E. @kaiser715 kinda dough :p) ..just "enough" to house what you HAD in the big building/sheds and carport building

What size SINGLE building (lets say WITH shed's like what you had) would you build back in it's place?

Total sidebar, but curious what your input would be:

Lets say a tornado were to land JUST over your shops and took them down. Insurance gave you just enough money to replace what you had in the buildings (assume everything inside was salvaged)

Would you then build ONE building to replace all? If so, what size? Keep in mind, you've not got a blank check (I.E. @kaiser715 kinda dough :p) ..just "enough" to house what you HAD in the big building/sheds and carport building

What size SINGLE building (lets say WITH shed's like what you had) would you build back in it's place?
About a 60 by 60 with sheds next time. With a separate dirty bay and fab area with lift, sectioned off inside of building; 20x60.

Pull thru for truck and trailer service while connected. More overhead storage. Basic machine shop with vertical mill, plasma table, and lathe outside of fab room.

145bcd8c0021c340a205388865e5e8fc.jpg

Back