Cool it buddy...

1stgenxxx

The floor of my xj gets hot as sin. I'm planning on wrapping a few sections of the exhaust but I'd also like to put some sort of insulation on my trans tunnel. Any reasonably priced suggestions? I saw a few types of sticky backed insulation (mostly sound deadening material) on amazon and ebay but the floor gets super hot...might turn that into nasty mess.

A radiant (reflective) barrier with an insulating layer is usually the ticket. There's a few on the market with aluminum faces that are formable, and a woven fiberglass insulation layer. They're made specifically for trans tunnels and things like that, with a high temp adhesive (I think like 450 or 475 degF for the DEI brand).

Look up DEI 050501 and 050503. Same product, two different sizes.

There are also versions without the adhesive, if adhesive isn't going to bond well.

Last edited:
Asbestos siding or panels is the best or layers of aluminum with air space between

I just construction adhesive glued the foil bubble wrap crap from Lowe's inside my trail rig. Surprisingly works decent. I made a homemade ac system from junkyard parts (expedition rear unit behind pass seat, grand cherokee compressor, etc). It couldn't keep up with steel floors and headers. With bubble wrap it stays comfortable. The bubbles do wear through and pop over time and get patched every so often.

I've read about paint that acts like an insulation but never tried it.

Not sure if you are on the cheap side but my WJ has a pretty impressive run of reflective material between the exhaust and then floor from front to back. It’s held up pretty good after 20 years. Might be worth a shot grabbing one or two at the pick n pull.

feb2b5c43e5fc8c4443331f9888dbe13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running lizard skin ceramic coating. It actually works really well. My cat is right under the passenger floorboard and it only gets warm.

Back