Cooling Water

Could also increase plumbing through building between storage and usage to act as final heat exchanger but I doubt that would be necessary as long as no ambient air temp changes happen inside the building very fast.

I say keep/recycle the water you are using. Pump it out of test tank into storage tank to work Inside the testing “tank”. The water stays inside the building. Fill up the storage tank so the water can acclimate prior to testing. With pumping back and forth, can put the storage tank anywhere you can fit it, could even be overhead. Obviously on the floor would be most convenient as an overhead full 500 gal tank would weigh over two tons. But if you are recycling the water used, do you need 500 gal tanks?

If you have separate testing area could still use one storage tank.

I’m not fully understanding the need to dispose of the water from each test?
The only way this could work is if you have a reeeaaally good filter in between the tanks.
The problem is contamination. Personally I'm a little surprised he can even get away using normal city water, b/c it is anything but "pure".
In a real metrology lab the water would run through a deionizing purifier before use. This way you know the actual density of the water - no stuff in there. I certainly hope they already have *some* kind of filtering. We've seen municipal water have as high as .1% variance in density from true. Yikes

with re-using the water, there's no telling what you might be transferring from one container to the next, this could create a safety situation for teh user of the tank. PLUS if the density of the water is not 1.00000 then the results of a pressure test are not really valid. After running the same water through several iron tanks you might have contaminants.

Now all that can be fixed with good filtering - but that slows down your flow rate. Although - again - the size we're talking about is not huge. Even two 20 gal tanks should be plenty. You use water from one while the other one filters out. Change out the water in the evening when you go home and you have all night for the temp to settle.

The only way this could work is if you have a reeeaaally good filter in between the tanks.
The problem is contamination. Personally I'm a little surprised he can even get away using normal city water, b/c it is anything but "pure".
In a real metrology lab the water would run through a deionizing purifier before use. This way you know the actual density of the water - no stuff in there. I certainly hope they already have *some* kind of filtering. We've seen municipal water have as high as .1% variance in density from true. Yikes

with re-using the water, there's no telling what you might be transferring from one container to the next, this could create a safety situation for teh user of the tank. PLUS if the density of the water is not 1.00000 then the results of a pressure test are not really valid. After running the same water through several iron tanks you might have contaminants.

Now all that can be fixed with good filtering - but that slows down your flow rate. Although - again - the size we're talking about is not huge. Even two 20 gal tanks should be plenty. You use water from one while the other one filters out. Change out the water in the evening when you go home and you have all night for the temp to settle.

The testing we are doing isn't that specific. Basically the cylinder is filled with water, put inside a steel jacket filled with water, pumped with water and a scale measures how much water the cylinder displaces as it expands. The cylinders are tested to 5/3 their service pressure, a 3000psi scuba gets tested to 5000. We have a 10% limit to reject cylinders.

Back