Cordless tools

BrianGreen

SSG Brian Green
What is good and what sucks? Looking at replacing my 18v Porter Cable drill and impact in the near future.

I don’t work construction every day, but I do use my stuff almost daily.

Pretty much narrowed down to the below based on tool availability. I will be getting an impact driver, hammer drill, maybe a sawzall and a hedge trimmer.

Milwaukee M18 (don’t need the fuel)
Ryobi One+ 18v
Kobalt 24v
Craftsman 20v

Thoughts?

I'm running a variety of the Kobalt 24V tools, Drill, 1/4 impact driver, , Sawzall, Flashlights...

They are discontinuing them now that they stock the Craftsmen at Lowes. As a result, you can catch them on clearance at good prices, but that also means you would want to get everything you might want for the system now, as you probably won't be able to later.

I like Milwaukee, awesome tools, and the company seems to be really good about not making old battery packs obsolete.

I know people with dewalt that have to run goofy adapters for their new batteries on their old tools. I have 8 year old milwaukee batteries that work in all my tools and still hold a charge.

Craftsman used to be my go too....and for a while they carried over the battery design from NiCd to Li....but then they redesigned everything. My first $500 craftsman tools cordless kit lasted about a year before half the tools no longer worked....of the 5 original tools, only the drill still works.

Buy the Milwaukee, check out their line of tools, they make almost everything cordless now, and are really good about offering "tool only" options, so you don't need to buy a battery and charger with every tool.

X4 on Milwaukee, but I've never used a cordless hedge trimmer so I can't recommend that one. Some things should just run on gas, unless your yard is like 1/10 acre.

For something like the impact, I'd buy the bare tool and get the Fuel model. It really is a big difference in power and battery life with the brushless motor. I think my favorite cordless tool is my M12 Fuel 1/4Hex impact, and reach for it all the time to do things that would normally be done with a bigger and heavier brushed 18V tool. It's just so damn powerful for its tiny size.

Oh, if you're thinking about the M18 stuff, check out the shop vac. I don't have one, but I know a few people with them and they're really cool for mid-duty house/shop/car cleanup.

Last edited:
Of those definitely Milwaukee, I use Rigid, not as many tools available. Once you buy you are pretty much committed due to the batteriers. .Milwaukee will be around longer than any of the others.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

but I've never used a cordless hedge trimmer so I can't recommend that one. Some things should just run on gas, unless your yard is like 1/10 acre.
Have to disagree here, my yard is a bit under 1/2 acre, and my cordless hedge trimmer and wire spindle weed whacker are super convenient. And actually those are cheapie 40v B&D things.

Have to disagree here, my yard is a bit under 1/2 acre, and my cordless hedge trimmer and wire spindle weed whacker are super convenient. And actually those are cheapie 40v B&D things.

I was actually thinking of a string trimmer and not a hedge trimmer, but I was making a joke. :p I know our neighbor needs some battery changes to get through his sub-acre lawn with his DIY-grade string trimmer (maybe a Kobalt or whatever junk).

I'm not a hedge trimmer guy though; I really don't like manicured bushes and hedges.
My favorite way of trimming boxwood hedges is with a shovel and mattock. So satisfying.

Last edited:
I use Milwaukee stuff daily. Ran the 3/8 impact over one day with a skid steer, taped up the broken handle and used it for another 6 months before it finally quit. The tool only options are awesome, I buy all mine from eBay/Amazon. Batteries charge quick

i don’t cycle my batteries nearly as often as i’d like, so they don’t last maybe 2 years, so i get cheap tools (Ryobi)

i’ve got old blue stuff that will work with the newer LI batteries, and some of the newer stuff.

the 1/2” isn’t the strongest, but then i have air if i really need it when working.

they work, they’re cheap, and as long as i don’t toss them across a parking lot they seem to last awhile

Another Milwaukee vote here. I've got a lot of their stuff and have been really happy with it. Like @Fabrik8 said, the compact impact is impressively strong for it's size. They keep coming out with better batteries that use the same interface too. Plus once you have a couple batteries, you can get the bare tools cheap on eBay.

I started with Dewalt 20v and have a buddy that worked at Dewalt that I got some free tools from. I have no complaints. I routinely use my 1/4" impact to break loose nuts I have no business putting it on. I don't think the brand matters much other than whether there is support for the brand and if it will still be available.

Tool selection, longevity, and one that won’t change battery design every couple years matters. I think the m12/m18 is about the only one that hasn’t changed in the last few years.

X whatever for Milwaukee Fuel. I’m slowly switching my stuff to them from Dewalt because of batteries. The 1/4” fuel impact is WAY meaner than my dewalt brushless.

The little m12 hackzall that I bought to do a drain repair has turned out to be really useful too.

I don’t think any other company offers the number of cordless tools that Milwaukee does. I’ve been eyeballing the m18 grease gun lately. They’ve also got a 1/2” impact with 1400 ft/lbs.

Yet another Milwaukee vote.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They’ve also got a 1/2” impact with 1400 ft/lbs.
:eek:
What makes it even better is that on their site they say, "1,100 pounds [close enough] of nut-busting torque"

Yeah, I'd say that's bust my nuts for sure.

The kobalt 1/2" gun packs a pretty good hammer action.. no problem keeping up with my Mac air gun, and it's not worn out. As far as their other tools or warranty, no idea. My DeWalt 14.4 1/4" impact and 1/2" drill have been going for about ten years, and one good New battery I bought when I was give the impact and drill back in 08.

M-18 fuel vote...I run the red stuff too. Getting ready to power tap 32, ten 24 thread holes with my 1/4 impact in a couple hours. I love the ability to finess the torque I want.

Only complaint is the keyless Chuck....it's fairly standard so I put a keyed Chuck on it for a stand in. Was suprised at the weight difference. I ordered another keyless cause the balance wasn't right.

Sawsall has a better blade holder then my corded porta cable.

The small skill saw with a metal blade are great for thin Aluminum sheet trimming, stick wax and let it eat.

I have a dewalt cordless drill Ive used on several tin roofs and its still works good,A two year old Kobalt 3/8 impact and a 11 year old 24V snap on 1/2 impact that's just about to give up the ghost but when its does I'll buy another one.

Back