Couple newbies looking for advice

jesse82nc

So a couple friends and I are looking to take our trucks out to Uwharrie for the first time this spring when the trails open back up. (saw a post that said this was end of March?) We have a Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Tahoe, and Suburban 2500 (we may have one or two more join as well). Most of them are pretty stock other than a leveling kit or some slightly larger and better than stock tires.

If possible, we would like to join up with someone or a few others that can show us around. Since our trucks are all pretty close to stock (and one long wheelbase at 130"), we would like to spend a few hours out there just checking out some of the easier trails (Falls Dam Trail?). Or at least if someone can give us some advice on which trails we should look at first.

Thanks!

Uwharrie is a great place to go and learn on a stock vehicle! That is where I went and learned at. there is plenty to do in a stock or close to stock ride. Id love to go with yall (though I dont know enough to guide you or help alot). Maybe closer to time we can set it up?

Thanks guys, my Burb is probably the least capable of the group, mostly due to that 130" wheelbase, and only about 14" of belly clearance. But I do have some good tires and plenty of grunt behind them at least. So any trail I can make it on, I'm sure the rest of the group would do fine on. We also have plenty of tow ropes and a chain. We will be coming down from the Raleigh area and it would probably be a Saturday.

I rode with a ford excursion on rocky mtn loop, slap pile, and some of wolfs den. It took some spotting but we made it. If that behemoth can make it, youll be alright!

Change that to "heavy duty tow straps without hooks" and rock on!:rockon:

That's what they are :) "Heavy Duty Recovery Straps" 30'x3.5" - 35k lbs rated.

Saw this video posted from a while back, can anyone identify the trail? Just wondering if this trail is considered one of the easy, moderate, or hard ones?

That's Dickie Bell, and it looks... not a whole lot like that anymore.

Dickie and Daniel are the two hardest trails at Uwharrie. The top/back side of Daniel is pretty easy, but the hill coming up from Cotton Place is not.

That video Is probably close to 10 years old. Just from looking at the lack of rails on the left side. As Shawn said not like that at all any more.

I would hit the easy ones first to see how you do and then go from there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

April 1st is "opening weekend " and by far the busiest weekend. you can definitely jump in with a group then! a group of us will be camping that weekend, yall are welcome to ride with us.

That's Dickie Bell, and it looks... not a whole lot like that anymore.

What ^he^ said. :eek:

1209161155a_Fotor (800x600).jpg

Stay off Daniel, Dickie Bell, and Dutch John. All others should be OK, but some of you are going to drag your bellies big time on the water berms.

Is there anyone else on here that feels like Dutch John should be rated as an easier trail?

Dutch John is only difficult in the rain. The S curve down to the creek has been cleaned up, so its not as tight or as off camber as it used to be.

It's probably a good next step after you've run falls dam, slab pile, wolf den, and the south half of Rocky Mt. The north half of Rocky Mount from the road up to Saw Mill and the Kodak closure is more difficult than anything on Dutch John right now.

@shawn that's exactally what I was thinking, that hill climb on rml has been worse when wet then dj since about November of last year.

@shawn that's exactally what I was thinking, that hill climb on rml has been worse when wet then dj since about November of last year.

Yup. Veteran's Day weekend made a mess of that hill last year. And the rocky bits just up from there can be challenging, too. Back before the Kodak closure, I think most folks ran that section downhill, so it didn't really get as much attention.

Stay off Daniel, Dickie Bell, and Dutch John. All others should be OK, but some of you are going to drag your bellies big time on the water berms.
Figured as much. I don't have anything hanging low, just the frame lol.

April 1st is "opening weekend " and by far the busiest weekend. you can definitely jump in with a group then! a group of us will be camping that weekend, yall are welcome to ride with us.
Totally would, but most of my group will be out in the mountains with our sports cars that weekend with another group. That's why we picked the weekend after.

What ever trail you choose be prepared for scratches and dents.

I would lIke to join the trail ride also if yall wouldnt mind.I have a 100 series cruiser, stock other than rear springs and a mostly stock tj. I have only ridden a side by side at uwarrie, so running something a little bigger will be fun!

Thanks guys, my Burb is probably the least capable of the group, mostly due to that 130" wheelbase, and only about 14" of belly clearance.

My first 30min ever on the trails of Uwharrie was spent yanking a late 90's K2500 ECSB off of one of the little hills on the top of falls dam as he had become high-centered. He was on stock tires though, but falls dam may not be the best trail for that rig if it's on stock tires still with such a long wheelbase.

PS, the 90's S10 4dr blazer behind it (on stock tires) also got high centered in the same spot.

Back