Creek Crossing

paradisePWoffrd

Recovering Project Junkie
One of the other threads reminded me.

Trying to help a friend determine the best, most cost effective way to build the drive into his new property.

Given the ROW he was granted, he must cross a creek to get into where his homestead will be. It is at the flatest portion of the land, but there is still a decent size section to cross. No existing creek crossing/bridge on the property.

The creek is only about 6 ft wide and 6-8" deep mostly, but the channel that has been eroded out over time is ~6ft deep and ~25ft across from grade on each side.

During heavy storms the water will rise a few feet. During the big storm a few years ago it was out of the top of the channel and flooded 100ft in both directions.

This will mainly be a drive for personal verhicles, but they are going to be building a house, so any conrete or delivery trucks will need to cross this too.

A few ideas we have come up with:

- build a steel/concrete bridge over the creek. Likely the best option, but extremely costly and not likely to happen.

- place 2 - 6ft concrete culverts in creek. They would be side-by-side and backfilled around and over top. Most likely option atm, but some concern about strength of this solution and possibility of it washing out in the future.

- Grade the bank away on each side and build a heavy gravel road that crosses through the creek bottom. Could even do something like this:
indexSM.jpg

This is the least likely, but cheapest option so far. Concern about large storms coming out of the creek since the channel walls would have an exit in them.

I have also thought about trying to use those large rectangle concrete barriers and stack them in such a way that the water can pass between them, but you could span the gap and backfill gravel over top?

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? Have access to a dozer, skid steer, excavators, etc to do grading and work if needed, just trying to figure out what will be best long term.

Flooding for 100ft in either direction is your bigger problem. That's gonna be soup. We have an entire bottom that does this now and again. Takes weeks to really dry out. If it floods this easy weeks of rain without rain are gonna be just as bad.
Culvert boxes come to mind. But the flooding doesn't get solved by any type of creek only solution.

Bridge would be the best long term, but the cost will be way higher. I have a similar creek. A ford is neat, but I imagine would be a lot of maintenance, as crap would build up constantly, and much moreso after every rain. The 6ft pipes would occasionally clog, but I'd likely go that route. During a major flood, there is a chance they could get washed out, but probably wouldn't move, just the dirt would depart around them.

Flooding for 100ft in either direction is your bigger problem. That's gonna be soup. We have an entire bottom that does this now and again. Takes weeks to really dry out. If it floods this easy weeks of rain without rain are gonna be just as bad.
Culvert boxes come to mind. But the flooding doesn't get solved by any type of creek only solution.

Water coming out of the banks is a pretty rare occurrence from what he said. It happened during the 100yr flood, but not common.

Bridge would be the best long term, but the cost will be way higher. I have a similar creek. A ford is neat, but I imagine would be a lot of maintenance, as crap would build up constantly, and much moreso after every rain. The 6ft pipes would occasionally clog, but I'd likely go that route. During a major flood, there is a chance they could get washed out, but probably wouldn't move, just the dirt would depart around them.

He got a quote for a steel bridge kit that you build on site, and it was like $30k.

I have thought about the ford, but using larger blocks like these. It would get you up out of the water/silt, but i suspect the small gaps between the blocks would get filled with silt and create a dam after a while.
images

I think he said the culverts were $4-5k. That is likely what will happen, but any other creative solutions are welcome.

Might be redneck but if aesthetics aren't of concern I'd buy two flatbed trailers, pull the axles off, and sit them side by side. Instant 16ft wide 48ft long bridge for 5k or less. Google image appears to be a train car but same concept.
Kohler-riverBridge-small.jpg

I know a guy who builds bridges on his property out of old mobile home frames. Sets them side by side and attaches them to each other. Decks them with 4x6 PT boards.
Would be a pretty cheap possible solution.

Just build up the land where you want to cross past any flooding area. Kind of like building a pond dam but just stick a big metal pipe in it like I'm doing. Cheaper than any other option, less maintenance than flood water washing your rock away constantly and easy and quick to do.

Metal pipe and culverts made of un-coated steel rot. Some quicker then you think. My uncle had one for 30 years. Great life span. But talk about a pain in the butt to dig out, plan and get done when everybody needs to go out daily. In his case a few families. Oh, and the fact that it was put off as long as possible and became very dangerous to cross.
Do it once.
Do it best you can afford.

Metal pipe and culverts made of un-coated steel rot. Some quicker then you think. My uncle had one for 30 years. Great life span. But talk about a pain in the butt to dig out, plan and get done when everybody needs to go out daily. In his case a few families. Oh, and the fact that it was put off as long as possible and became very dangerous to cross.
Do it once.
Do it best you can afford.
Mine is coated so idk if you were talking about me or not. Same goes for metal bridge beams and the wood on top rots as well.

Might be redneck but if aesthetics aren't of concern I'd buy two flatbed trailers, pull the axles off, and sit them side by side. Instant 16ft wide 48ft long bridge for 5k or less. Google image appears to be a train car but same concept.
View attachment 261776
Good idea for normal stuff, but
they are going to be building a house, so any conrete or delivery trucks will need to cross this too.
I dunno about driving a concrete truck across it...

without reading the entire thread.

Has your friend talked to the county? They may only allow specific things that he can do. I used to live out in vale, there was a guy that started building a bridge over a creek about the same size as in the pick you posted. dude got almost finished and the county came out and shut him down. wont let him put anything in..

Good idea for normal stuff, but

I dunno about driving a concrete truck across it...

He could cut the bank out on both sides and make a temporary construction crossing. If you look to the right of the "bridge" in the second pic it appears they did the same thing.

He could cut the bank out on both sides and make a temporary construction crossing. If you look to the right of the "bridge" in the second pic it appears they did the same thing.
Needs to be permanent and capable of getting a loaded fire truck to the house.....or....just have REALLY good insurance

Needs to be permanent and capable of getting a loaded fire truck to the house.....or....just have REALLY good insurance

Or build the house out of stone, better yet a cave!

Put one in at the farm, much smaller creek, used 80' of 30" plastic pipe and about 5000 yards of dirt! It made it very easy to maintain, and don't have any problem with dump trucks, the excavator (49k lbs), or the bulldozer.

Even still, one "Richard Pryor" episode and "fuck yo couch"

Haaaa! A Richard Pryor AND Rick James reference in one sentence. I like your style!

I'd think two pipes with a little space between them would work real well. 40' should be plenty of width.

Back