Cummins clutch advice

Oh, heck no. The stock charger is only good for about 30psi under the best of circumstances. High 20s is much more typical.

At the end of the day, I'm probably only making as much power as the later model trucks. The new stuff puts over 300hp at the tires in stock trim.
I think the biggest factor is keeping the truck or selling it. Warranty isn't going to mean much if you dump the clutch and bust it. If you plan to dump the clutch no clutch short of a dual disc will be reliable. The cheaper aftermarket "upgrades" are junk. The oem unit will likely be as expensive as the decent single disc southbend.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

The oem unit will likely be as expensive as the decent single disc southbend.

I can get an actual OEM Luk unit, to my door, for under $300. I think Lee's cost is a bit more than that, but not by much.

I can get an actual OEM Luk unit, to my door, for under $300. I think Lee's cost is a bit more than that, but not by much.
I would compare very closely to verofy in fact they are the same. The last supposed oem clutch that I purchased from aftermarket sources did not even resemble the part another customer had just purchased from mopar.
I carry south bend, as does Olee Poole and multiple other vendors in the state.

I would compare very closely to verofy in fact they are the same. The last supposed oem clutch that I purchased from aftermarket sources did not even resemble the part another customer had just purchased from mopar.

I trust what @Jody Treadway is telling me... if anybody knows, it's that guy.

I trust what @Jody Treadway is telling me... if anybody knows, it's that guy.
Agreed. Wasnt saying anything about them or their parts. Just saying if you provide the parts make sure its a corresponding LUK number not a over the counter brand at a parts store.

FWIW I installed a carquest single disc clutch/pressure plate in a 01 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Turbo, stock. Seemed quality built.. no complaints from the guy and he tows his Bobcat X331 all over NC and SC with it.

Just a quick update to the thread. I ended up going with a South Bend Con O from @SolarYellow05 at High Impact Diesel. @transman731 at TLC Transmission went through the 5600 while it was on the floor and replaced all the bearings and synchros. Everything was in great shape at 155k, including the original clutch disk and pressure plate. Only things that really needed to be serviced were the pilot bearing and the input shaft that the bad bearing wiped out.

There are those who would say that this truck was laid low by a $10 bearing. That would be their first mistake. This truck is so eager to get out on the road and do the job that it was built to do, that it tried to weld the crankshaft to the transmission to ensure that there was nothing that could stop it from kicking ass.

Time to hook it to something heavy and go for a drive.

The floor is about the only place an NV5600 can go. They must be made out of imploded super nova stars or something, they're so freaking heavy! :eek:

Hope you like the clutch. Keep us updated! :driver:

I'll take you word for it Lee!

Shawn can you tell me how much the clutch kit was? I'm sure sooner or later I'll be doing this. Hopefully later. My truck has about 125k on it now but I've towed alot w/ it.

Back