CUTLERFAB SHOP THREAD

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by mcutler, Jan 22, 2019.

1. jeepcj3a

jeepcj3a Well-Known Member

Curious of your thoughts on the Baleigh mag brake now that you have had it awhile. Did you need to wire it through a buck boost transformer or just plugged directly into outlet?

Thanks

2. mcutler

mcutler Well-Known Member

I really like it. Extremely useful even with 063 aluminum. It's a great work piece holder as well.

You lost me on transformer. It's wired for 220, has a standard plug that fits all my welder outlets. Pulls very low amperage.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3. mcutler

Boy, I have neglected my shop thread the past month...

Progress on winget buggy.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. mcutler

5. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College Web Wheeler

How are you doing the radius edge over the tubing? Looks stupid clean and you’ve inspired me to try and use more aluminum in my builds and try my hand at sheet metal stuff.

6. mcutler

Tried and true, dead blow or rubber mallet.
    I don't think I could get it as close with a spoiler roll on the bead roller.

Take your time, don't try to roll it all at once, the material will stretch. Helps to have a shrinker. On the corner with the pucker, I folded it and hammered it in, most of the roll will be trimmed later. I use the shrinker to permanently form the the body roll around the corner. That's why I leave so much before final trimming. I always tune the panels after fasteners are installed to pre load the fasteners to have tension on the panel to avoid rattles. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

YotaOnRocks, BigSouth and iwaxmyjimmy like this.
  7. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College Web Wheeler

Basically you’re the sheetmetal yoda, I figured it was a with a dead blow and getting it to form, but didn’t want to assume. Looks freaking killer though.

8. mcutler

Thanks, I wish that were true... couldn't tell you how many times I've called on @MarsFab , Tim Odell, and countless others on Instagram...

... and Instagram.... it is a wealth of knowledge to be learned if you follow the people that you seek to learn from. And so far I have never not been offered advice when I instant message someone with a question; always willing to help and share. Is a shame I didn't have this resource tool 20 years ago...

9. mcutler

Been a few messages on tin work on how it's accomplished. My calendar is full for a year, can't accept any new projects, or for those do it yourselfers that just need a kickstart, might be worthy to make a trip to the shop on Sunday...

It's kind of last minute, but this Sunday presents a unique day on the tin work. I have driver side panels ready for tabs and fastening. And I have passenger side panels ready for forming. There may be some bead rolling, and definitely some brake work. Anyone that may want to ride up to my shop and spend the day, your more than welcome to come and learn some tin tips... or possibly teach me something. Not offering a class per say , just an opportunity, that I never had, for some one with the desire to learn for their own benefit.

Won't be many occasions where I'm at this step in a build, so doubtful this will happen again in the near future.

I'm usually in the shop for 5-6+ hours on Sunday, typically start around 10.

Call ahead

Matt
    336-401-2830

504 N.Franklin Rd.
    Mt. Airy, NC 27030

10. adamk

adamk Well-Known Member

I hate everything you produce for the simple fact that I’m jealous of your skills, tools, and attention to detail.

Keep up the fantastic work!

jeepinmatt, mcutler and iwaxmyjimmy like this.
  11. YotaOnRocks

YotaOnRocks Well-Known Member

Wish I could make it. If for nothing more than to put some faces to names.

mcutler likes this.
  12. WARRIORWELDING

WARRIORWELDING Owner opperator Of WarriorWelding LLC.

Will be calling to place reservation and get my supply list together.

School is in.....

mcutler likes this.
  13. mcutler

Just come on brother, your welcome anytime.

I was gonna mention earlier, that maybe Andrew would ride up and give aluminum tig lessons.

WARRIORWELDING likes this.
  14. Stuntman Autoworks

Stuntman Autoworks Instigator of things

Dang I wish I wasn't working days this weekend.

mcutler likes this.