dana 35 carrier bearing went....

jeepin1995

undecided......
My rear has been humming some the last 2 weeks and this morning it got bad. Limped back home and pulled the diff cover. Found the drivers side carrier bearing is shot. passenger side looks good. my question is if i replace just the drivers side bearing and race, and re-install the carrier shims as they came out, do you think I would be ok with no further adjustments needed?

ALSO, there is minor damage on the gear teeth. like on the top edge, where the carrier moved from the pinion and it wasn't hitting the whole tooth (SEE PIC) would this be ok to run for a few thousand miles?

ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e50_jeepin1995_d35_zps20f193d7.jpg

The bearings are consistent enough that you could theoretically do that. However, while its out, I'd want to replace both bearings, and by the time you do that, you really should get new gears since the pattern would be messed up from the bad bearing, but by the time you do that, you have $300+ into an open D35, in which case you should just buy one, like you are already trying to do.

Hope that helps, haha! But yes, bearings are very accurately manufactured, and should be swappable.

I would love to swap the 8.8 right now. But funds won't allow. .... I think I'll replace both bearings and throw it back together and see what happens. I wanna spend as little as possible on this turd.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Got it pulled today. ... the carrier is trash.....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366332306338.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366332306338.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 439
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366332319844.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366332319844.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 872
Mic it and you can probably get the right size bearing ID with the same OD from a good bearing house!
Or just make a 2 piece shim to adapt from that "machined in place" diameter to the proper diameter of the bearing!
Or throw it away because its a D35 carrier!

(I'd do the last one)

[quote="jeepinmatt, post:
Or throw it away because its a D35 carrier!
[/quote]
This....d35 parts are usually dirt cheap if not free. Find a carrier and swap the ring gear over. Get a set of bearings and shims. Putting a carrier in and setting backlash is fairly easy

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

its a street jeep? put bearings in it and run it. 75/140 oil. will be fine.

D35 spun the bearing too, seem its pretty common
Holy necropost Batman!
You could've waited until May to make it an even 6 years... but instead you get 5 years 8 months. Impressive nonetheless.

Back