Deck over vs standard

justjeepin86

I'm getting into the market for a new to me trailer. Something that's at least 20' and 10-14k. I've never owned a deck over and realize that they will have a higher cog and most likely not pull as good behind a suv which I have for a tow rig at the moment. Other than that and the higher price point, what are opinions there. Honestly, this will not be used a ton, but as my kids get older I will most likely start buying and selling junk again. I like the idea of being able to load anything you want from the side without fender interference, but don't want to be dumb about a purchase. Currently, I have a 16' 7k landscape trailer and it's not wide enough to handle a full width vehicle like a truck. I've had a 20' aluminum trailer, but the rating was too low and a 16' 14k that was too short. Both were standard fender trailers.

So, do you hate your deck over for any reason?

Used them and love them for the right application. They are at least a foot taller, which obviously puts your load that much higher, but also makes your loading angle steeper (ramps or tilt). I like the narrower track width because the outside tires don't spend a quarter of their life bouncing along the potholes on the shoulder. However, the narrower track width and higher load decrease stability. Loading with a forklift is easy, but this can be overcome on a low deck trailer by having a pallet jack to move things between the fenders. When I was trailer shopping, I considered a deckover tilt, but they cost more and did not work as well for my needs.

I prefer a lower deck trailer, mostly to keep stuff out of the wind if possible. Also, it is easier to load a larger variety of vehicle, IMO. But, I dont use it to haul things that need to be loaded from the side.

Used them and love them for the right application. They are at least a foot taller, which obviously puts your load that much higher, but also makes your loading angle steeper (ramps or tilt). I like the narrower track width because the outside tires don't spend a quarter of their life bouncing along the potholes on the shoulder. However, the narrower track width and higher load decrease stability. Loading with a forklift is easy, but this can be overcome on a low deck trailer by having a pallet jack to move things between the fenders. When I was trailer shopping, I considered a deckover tilt, but they cost more and did not work as well for my needs.
The track width thing is great, and a much bigger difference than I would have expected. I wish mine had a beaver tail and have considered modifying it several times... shit ton of work, though.

I just sold a low deck tilt to buy a deckover tilt trailer. The deckover is better in every situation for me and how I like to operate and the amount of different things I do with it.
Its all personal preference but if you do go the low deck route get one that is 96 or 102 wide before and after the fenders with or without driveover fenders. (Without driveover fenders if you think you may need to remove one for a low car door.

A deckover tilt would be tits! They seem to be really hard to find and when you do they are stupid expensive.
They really aren't too bad if you are comparing apples to apples. Most deckover tilts are dual 7k axle and at least 20ft long, with powered tilt. The same trailer in a low deck config will be within a grand of the same price. As with all trailers, you are better off buying a new one because used ones are so overpriced, and if you see a good deal on a used one you have 0.7 seconds to jump on it.

So, can a car be loaded on a deck over that has a dove without dragging? Or is that something that you would need to block up while driving on?

The only thin
So, can a car be loaded on a deck over that has a dove without dragging? Or is that something that you would need to block up while driving on?

I was just replying when you posted this msg.

That is an issue with my deckover. I think longer ramps would help a lot. So I would factor that into purchase price.

Also deckovers seem to weigh more from what I have seen.

still, I am not sure if I would switch to a low deck if I could go back in time...Iā€™ve always found a way to get what I need on the trailer.

Any time Iā€™ve needed to tow a car with this trailer, itā€™s been a pain. Even with the addition of ramp extensions, itā€™s still a pain...more often than not the car is dead, so you canā€™t really get good ramp alignment. Then factor in the additional length of the ramps plus length of the trailer, itā€™s really inconvenient. I certainly wouldnā€™t want to dick around with trying to get anything smaller than an SUV on to this trailer in any context other than a running vehicle, that can get perfectly square with extended ramps and plenty of area to maneuver in.

36FD0C0C-0EBA-4E54-ACA3-0894BE8DA021.jpeg

To me it really depends on your expected use. I have always used my trailers for materials and equipment so a deckover works really well for me. If I was primarily loading vehicles and occasionally cars I would probably like a low deck more.

When my sister had her little volvo sedan years ago I had to haul it several times with my deckover and never had any contact between the car and trailer. I only used 1 4' 2x12 at the bottom of each ramp to help get it started without dragging the front on the ramps. Never an issue at the dovetail breakover.

Here is a picture of the trailer for height and ramp length reference, in my experience with deckovers the ramps are typically short, these were longer than average but not too heavy to manage.
IMG_20131025_182457_903.jpg

Deckover with a gooseneck are great never tried bumper pulling a deck over.

I bought this older Hudson 10k deckover about 1.5yrs ago. Immediately noticed what you guys said about the narrower track width. Makes pulling it much more comfortable ride. I have a 10k winch on a receiver I can put on the front to pull non-running vehicles up on. These ramps are pretty long which helps a lot. I had a 10k hudson equipment trailer and then a 7k 16' car trailer with removable fenders. Those were a pain to deal with. My uses though include a lot of hauling materials loaded with forklifts so the deckover has been invaluable to me.
Have hauled several trucks as of late with it and the higher COG is definitely something you have to be aware of but it's very manageable. Now I just need some more truck to pull it with!! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_111308962_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210403_111308962_HDR.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 236
Deckover works best for most of my uses. Hauling hay, materials, equipment with implements etc. Plus the narrower track width makes getting through two lane roads and one of our bridges a shit ton easier. The lower pro deckovers arenā€™t too bad for break over angles and loading dead machines and vehicles if it also has a dovetail. Load that shit on our steel deck deckover and itā€™s medium sketchy. It sits almost 8ā€ higher than the low pro deckover. Upside is the steel deck trailer has tandem duals so sway or instability isnā€™t as big of a deal.

Deck over all day....šŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž

Attachments

• A5EA5C88-6B57-4096-A61E-3388B64660DB.jpeg
    A5EA5C88-6B57-4096-A61E-3388B64660DB.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 258
As much as I love my equipment trailer, if I ever get another one I'll probably just say screw it and get a deckover. I never know what I'll be hauling from one time to the next.

I loved my bumper pull deckover. 20ft load max with the big wedge ramps. Easy to load material, was to load trucks. Wish it was longer, but that was the only complaint.

Sold it to get an enclosed goose.

Ill be the opposite....I had a deckover...24', stand up ramps, etc....I worked great when I was hauling hay and scrap,etc... It was wood deck and work great a general purpose trailer.

i moved and used it for less and less stuff other than hauling the buggy and house supplies. Meanwhile I had more and more need for it to haul cars and material like brush and mulch.

I sold it for a steel deck 20" car hauler with slide in ramps and couldnt be happier. I can haul mulch, firewood, lumber, trucks, cars etc... The ramps and a solid tread vs ladder ramps. I would never go back to a deckover unless I was doing more equipment. Besides being a lighter trailer, the wind drag was way less and the ability to use the lower height for loading and hauling is amazing vs the high deckover.

If you are getting loaded or unloaded with forklifts I can also see the need for a deckover.

Love my deckover (25' with 8k axles). Much easier than dealing with fenders. It is really too much for my excursion when I have more than about 7k on it, but I have hauled my 11k lb skid steer on it short distance behind the excursion. The limiting factor is the power from the engine, the excursion handles it fine (f-350 axles/suspension).

I bought this older Hudson 10k deckover about 1.5yrs ago. Immediately noticed what you guys said about the narrower track width. Makes pulling it much more comfortable ride. I have a 10k winch on a receiver I can put on the front to pull non-running vehicles up on. These ramps are pretty long which helps a lot. I had a 10k hudson equipment trailer and then a 7k 16' car trailer with removable fenders. Those were a pain to deal with. My uses though include a lot of hauling materials loaded with forklifts so the deckover has been invaluable to me.
Have hauled several trucks as of late with it and the higher COG is definitely something you have to be aware of but it's very manageable. Now I just need some more truck to pull it with!! :D
Tell me bout that Ford on the trailer!

Back