Dickey Bell Trail Scoping Letter

krzyabncanuck

BLM HOTSHOT
Attached and inserted below is a request for comment on a proposed reroute of the Dickey Bell OHV Trail in the Badin Lake Recreation Area. Please review the description and map and provide comments by September 9th. Thank you for your interest in the Uwharrie National Forest.

Dear Uwharrie National Forest User:

The Uwharrie National Forest is proposing to construct three trail reroutes of the Dickey Bell Trail (TR 91) and close two sections of the existing trail. This project is located in the Badin Lake Recreation Area on the Badin Lake Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Trail System approximately 15 miles northwest of Troy in Montgomery County, North Carolina.

This project includes construction of three trail reroutes for an estimated total length of 2.6 miles of new trail construction on Dickey Bell Trail. The project includes closing two sections of the Dickey Bell Trail for an estimated length of 1.0 mile. Additionally, this project calls for keeping the challenge hill climb open for use while we also provide a less technical route around the hill climb at the southern end of the trail. The purpose of these three trail reroutes is to move the trail out of two sensitive areas and to provide easier access around a challenge section of the trail, while still providing for the challenge. See attached map for details and location of this project.

The southern reroute (Dickey Bell Trail Reroute #1) would construct 0.6 mile of trail. The challenge hill climb would remain open. The reroute would reduce the potential for illegal trails created by users who do not have the skill or the proper vehicle to maneuver this portion of the trail. By constructing a less technical route and still maintaining the existing challenge hill climb the Forest would be able to provide routes to meet the needs of the public, minimize the secondary impacts of illegal trails and bypasses being created by users, and increase safety.

Dickey Bell Trail Reroutes #2 and 3 would provide new OHV trail for an estimated 2 miles. Closures #1 and 2 would close an estimated 1 mile of existing trail in a sensitive resource area. This proposal would eliminate future impacts to the resources by completely removing the OHV trail from these sites and would eliminate the secondary impacts from dispersed camping and illegal bypasses created by users.

Currently, the total mileage on the Badin Lake Motorized Trail System is about 16.9 miles. This project would take the Dickey Bell Trail from its current length of 3.5 miles to an estimated 5.1 miles.

If you have comments, questions or concerns regarding the proposed action, you should send your replies by September 9, 2016 to:

Theresa Savery, District Recreation Staff

Uwharrie National Forest Service

789 NC Highway 24/27 East

Troy, NC 27371

tsavery@fs.fed.us

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I did not get the map in my email so hopefully someone else on here did.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here is the Dicky Bell map. I always get Dicky Bell and Dutch John mixed up. Which one has the hill climb and which has the nice rocky climb?

Attachments

• Dickey_Bell_Trail_Reroute_Proposed_Action_Map_08182016.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 653
Here is the Dicky Bell map. I always get Dicky Bell and Dutch John mixed up. Which one has the hill climb and which has the nice rocky climb?

Thanks for posting this! The rocky climb sounds like Dickey Bell:

1211151401a (800x600).jpg

This is great news! Thanks for posting! Any idea when trail construction will begin?

Awesome! Some new scenery and a by pass to relieve traffic on the rocky climb will be nice. Correct me if I am wrong but I feel like this is the first time the Forest Service has released and provided changes to the system to enthusiasts with this much detail. Or was this sort of information available if you could go to the meetings that the FS held?

Perhaps more communication like the with the FS will keep the trails open longer :rolleyes:

I just sent a letter to Mrs Savery with my thoughts on the permanent closure of RML and the rerouting of Dickey Bell. I also asked what the status is of the Lake View trail that we have been hearing about for a few years now.

Here is what I wrote yesterday to Mrs. Savery:

Mrs Theresa Savery,

I am writing in response to the Uwharrie National Forest ORV system trail changes that have been posted on the NC4x4.com website. I am 42 years old and have been going to Uwharrie to either ride (dirt bike) or drive (4x4) on the ORV trails since I was 16 years old (1990) and first got my driver license. I am deeply saddened to read that the section of Rocky Mountain Loop trail that contains the famous Kodak Rock area is being closed permanently. That has been a major attraction to the Uwharrie ORV trail system for 4x4 drivers for many years. In addition to providing a great obstacle for 4x4’s to play on, that section of trail also provided quick access to the other trails nearby and creates a nice loop trail. I would HIGHLY recommend that the folks in charge of the ORV trail system at Uwharrie National Forest investigate rerouting this section of Rocky Mountain Loop trail that is closed. I have attached a picture showing an idea of what I am talking about.

I am excited to hear about the changes coming to the Dickey Bell trail. I think it is a great idea to create a bypass trail around the steep rocky hill climb section on this trail. Numerous times when I have been on that section of trail, I have seen people on dirt bikes and four wheelers struggling to navigate up or down the trail. That activity frequently backs up 4x4 traffic on busy weekends as people have to wait. It will also make the trail much safer for the less experienced folks on dirt bikes and four wheelers. Thank you for not just closing down the steep rocky hill climb section. That section of the Dickey Bell trail has now become one of my favorite parts of the Uwharrie ORV trail system.

I would like to also take this opportunity to implore the folks in charge of the ORV trail system at Uwharrie National Forest to construct a new trail from Dickey Bell to the bottom of Daniel. Many years ago there used to be a trail named Gold Mine that served this purpose. Currently Daniel is a dead-end trail, which has many disadvantages in any kind of trail system. A new trail connecting Dickey Bell to the bottom of Daniel would make the trail system safer by allowing those who come down Daniel to not have to go back up if they do not feel capable, or their ORV is not adequately equipped. It would also allow those on dirt bikes or four wheelers who might make it down Daniel, but can’t make it back up to be able to get back to wherever they parked their truck and not have to ride illegally on the forest service roads to do so. I have attached a picture showing approximately where the Gold Mine trail used to be.

I would also like to know what the status is on the Lake View trail that I have been hearing about for some years now. I understand that it is to route through the area of the old Big Branch trail, CCC trail, and the section of Falls Dam trail that has been closed for many years.

Sincerely,
Danny Kelly

She wrote back an hour later with answers to my questions. Here is a quick summary of what she had to say. They are investigating possibly rerouting RML around the Kodak Rock area. Any possible reroutes or connectors for Daniel will have to wait until all the other projects have been completed. The Lakeview Trail has been approved for a grant from the state, and the contract is currently in process after which a contractor can be hired to start the project. This is all great news for the Uwharrie ORV trail system.

All I hear is close Dickey Bell, Sorry I'm jaded.

I generally feel the same way when it comes to the ORV trail system at Uwharrie, but I think you misinterpreted the message on this one. Here are the high points from Mrs Savery's post:

- Two sections of the Dickey Bell trail will be rerouted
- An optional bypass trail will be created around the steep rocky hill climb
- The steep rocky hill climb section of trail will remain open
- The new Dickey Bell trail will go from 3.5 miles to 5.2 miles in length

Dickey Bell Trail reroute.jpg

My favorite trail, stayed up many a night riding back and forth why close parts of it.

Also, if you look at the topography of the reroutes (especially reroute #3), it has the potential to be more interesting and more challenging trail.

My favorite trail, stayed up many a night riding back and forth why close parts of it.

"to move the trail out of two sensitive areas"

Sensitive meaning Indian bones or something?

Maybe watershed/creek/run off areas? The closure #3 section definitely ran across some low lying area, and the reroute of the section is on much higher ground.

I generally feel the same way when it comes to the ORV trail system at Uwharrie, but I think you misinterpreted the message on this one. Here are the high points from Mrs Savery's post:

- Two sections of the Dickey Bell trail will be rerouted
- An optional bypass trail will be created around the steep rocky hill climb
- The steep rocky hill climb section of trail will remain open
- The new Dickey Bell trail will go from 3.5 miles to 5.2 miles in length
I know, I read all that and am glad there is a proposed reroute. I just see it as the beginning of the end. IMO, NOTHING should be closed before the reroutes are open and legal.

I'm sure it'll be 10 years from now

Hopefully not.

I emailed Theresa Savery yesterday and asked about the status of the Dickey Bell trail reroute project. Here is her reply:

For the Dickey Bell Trail reroutes we have gotten 1 (the northern most reroute) reroute flagged & surveyed. Joel Hardison & I will be flagging the other 2 reroutes this summer and the surveys will begin. I hope to have the decision memo completed and signed by next winter and then we would be able to let the State Trails Program know we are ready to receive the grant funds to complete that project. Let me know if you have any other questions about our trails program and grants.

Back