Dickey bell

98xjjeep

Whats going on with Dickey Bell? I rode it a couple weeks ago and had to cut a tree that had fallen blocking the trail and had to keep stopping move branches from the trail. The guardrails are all broken and the trails just look poorly maintained. Who adopted the trail? They need to actually do something with it. The trail has great potential but looks like :poop: right now. Anyone else agree?

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92314

If you look down a couple threads in this section you will see that thread.

CFSJC (Carolina Full Size Jeep Club if I am not mistaken) is the ones that have adopted Dickey Bell. That thread has a video of them putting up all the guard railing in the off-season this year.

If the guard railing has been knocked down I wouldn't exactly blame them for it. The forest service augers only go so deep, leaving the guard railing not supported too extremely well. If you look at the video you can see the "dirt line" on the posts is way above how deep they have them. The only way to get the guard rail posts deep enough is with a heavier piece of equipment with a hydraulic auger. The Bobcat back in March did awesome on Falls Dam putting up guard rail.

So the point being it isn't too hard for idiots (that the guard railing has been put up to stop) to mess it up.

Also remember the adopted trail groups can't always make it to every work day. What we are doing here on NC4X4 is actually rare going to every work day. And work days are once a month. So it very well could have been that the trees fell etc between the work days.

I did Dickey Bell July4th and didn't notice any downed guard rails. I went around to Falls Dam and there is the guard rails laying that we didn't get to finish puttin up. Some of the wooden fences were lookin a bit shabby.

Also picked up and packed out a half a bag of beer cans (BUSCH).

:uzi: :beer:half a bag of beer cans (BUSCH).[/QUOTE]

Whats going on with Dickey Bell? I rode it a couple weeks ago and had to cut a tree that had fallen blocking the trail and had to keep stopping move branches from the trail. The guardrails are all broken and the trails just look poorly maintained. Who adopted the trail? They need to actually do something with it. The trail has great potential but looks like :poop: right now. Anyone else agree?

If there was a tree blocking the trail- well it's quite obvious that wasn't there on our last workday, or during any point the FS would have gone on the trail. What size tree was it?

Branches? There are some tight spots, but that's about it. Unless there was damage from a storm that included down trees and branches.. or are you scared to scratch your rig? (I've personally seen Rover guys get out and cut a small limb to avoid a scratch)

What kind of guardrails? I am assuming you are talking about the wood split rails, and to that I agree we have some are falling apart, but the FS has not expressed any interest in rebuilding them.. I think they just want to replace them all with metal rail. And yes we need to at least clean that up- it's on the list.

What else is poorly maintained?

We always get several bags of trash, and we as a club only go once every couple of months. It is also the best labeled trail I have seen.

I agree there is much we can do to make it better- we just don't get up there as much as we would like. We do what we can with the time we have there. It's also the longest trail @ 3.5 miles.

I tell you what, make us a list and we will tackle it.

Really? You are gonna call out a trail adopter like that? What trail have you adopted? If you really are having issues with our trail there are better ways of going about it.

Please feel free to PM me with more of your issues

If there was a tree blocking the trail- well it's quite obvious that wasn't there on our last workday, or during any point the FS would have gone on the trail. What size tree was it?
Branches? There are some tight spots, but that's about it. Unless there was damage from a storm that included down trees and branches.. or are you scared to scratch your rig? (I've personally seen Rover guys get out and cut a small limb to avoid a scratch)
What kind of guardrails? I am assuming you are talking about the wood split rails, and to that I agree we have some are falling apart, but the FS has not expressed any interest in rebuilding them.. I think they just want to replace them all with metal rail. And yes we need to at least clean that up- it's on the list.
What else is poorly maintained?
We always get several bags of trash, and we as a club only go once every couple of months. It is also the best labeled trail I have seen.
I agree there is much we can do to make it better- we just don't get up there as much as we would like. We do what we can with the time we have there. It's also the longest trail @ 3.5 miles.
I tell you what, make us a list and we will tackle it.

I was about a 6inch diameter tree. Nothing major just blocking the trail and you couldn't drive over it. I understand trees fall all the time and thats not something yall can fix right away. And trust me im not scared on dents or scratches lol The branches were from a storm i assume. Big enough that even if a bulldozed through them they would still be annoying to others how care a little more about their paint. I carry a bowsaw with me and alot of other don't, so i figured i would take care of it for fellow jeepers.

Maybe it was just a recent storm that messed it up. I was just pointing out that the guys in my group and I all said something about how it looked a little run down then it has in other years. I thought that i would throw it out there incase the club had forgot about it or needs helps with it. I work on saturdays so i don't get to go down with the NC4x4 guys. So i figured I would bring it to everyones attention incase they are wanting input on what trails need help with. Thanks for your helpful response.

Really? You are gonna call out a trail adopter like that? What trail have you adopted? If you really are having issues with our trail there are better ways of going about it.
Please feel free to PM me with more of your issues

Really? I was calling out the trail. And I had no idea who adopted it or if they even go out there anymore so calm down. Tell me how there is a better way of saying a trail needs help then posting in the uwharrie section that a trail needs help? Im sorry i offended you and your trail. And I havent adopted a trail because I don't get out there on a regular bais so I would rather a group that does go there more be incharge of taking care of a trail. I help out when my friends and I go by picking up trash and fixing broken fences if i see one. I do alot at uwharrie even if it is not part of a club. Just pointing out an area for improvement so others can help. But if you and your club wants to take care of it all by yourself then go for it. I think public notice of a problem goes alot father then just the club knowing the issue.

Well you only pointed out two things.

1- There were down limbs and trees. This can't be helped unless we run it everyday and we can't do that. Thanks for taking the time to cut it and move it out the way though. Your help is indeed appreciated. We cannot take complete control over the trail, and we (as is everyone who supports URE) are glad there are people like you who pick up trash and fix things.

2- Downed split rail fences. Yes there are some spots where the fence is down and we have not fixed it yet. I wish we could just replace them like we did back in 2006 with new split rails but, I don't think they want to do that, it is too easy for the ATV's to knock them down. This is one thing I have noticed on several trips but only after a long weekend or long day working, and didn't want to tackle it.

You did come off a little arrogant when you called our trail poop, and that we actually needed to do something with it. I am not saying it is the best maintained trail but I don't see it as the worst either.

I wish we could be there every weekend and work on it, but alas, so many other priorities and most of our members are several hours away.

We (or at least I) appreciate your concern, just wish you had started the thread with a little better tone is all Shawn wanted.

We have several plans in the works for projects on the trail, just waiting to get thru the red tape, if you know what I mean. But I was serious about the list, I have no problem with someone who is out there more than us let us know the ever-so-changing conditions of the trail so we can be updated and plan workdays as needed. Now that you know who has adopted it, feel free to send any of us a PM, post in this thread, or come over to cfsjc.com and start a thread.

You know.. draider, what if you started a thread here with every trail and let people report back conditions for the clubs. Not for people to come on and complain- just to keep us updated. Just an idea..

I guess we should have reported back to this thread by now...On the last trail work day, we pulled 2 fallen trees off of the trail, both with help. One was on the hill climb where an ECORS racer stopped to help us. The other was where 2 ATV'ers stopped(they had no choice, we had the trail blocked) and helped us by winching a tree out of the way on one of the corduroys.

I guess we should have reported back to this thread by now...On the last trail work day, we pulled 2 fallen trees off of the trail, both with help. One was on the hill climb where an ECORS racer stopped to help us. The other was where 2 ATV'ers stopped(they had no choice, we had the trail blocked) and helped us by winching a tree out of the way on one of the corduroys.

Happy to help you guys, hopefully I can learn from that tough old guy who went into a roll when he fell!!!. Thanks for keeping the trails up:beer:

Thanks again for the help!
We ALL can learn from 'that tough old guy'....He is one hell of a man, and anyone in our club can attest to that. What he has done for our club is immeasurable. For those that know him on a personal level will be so much better off in life.

I wonder if maybe some of the trails would be better served with a coordinated effort between two or more Groups?I am speaking solely from the mind of someone who would like to see ALL the trails remain open.Every time I go,which is usually about once a month,I pick up cans as I go and last time we tried to move a really big Tree off the Dickey Bell climb but it was just too heavy.IF I went with the sole intention of working on the trails as I played,I would bring battery powered saws.Either way,I get down about once a month and it's almost always with a group or 5 or more.If we had a list to work off of,or something with structure we were trying to achieve we would get it done before we went wheeling.As I have said before we should always try to be good stewards to the trails when we go and we should pick up trash Or whatever On whatever trail we are on.My point here is if it's too hard for groups to get down Monthly or even Bi Monthly,maybe we should split the responsibility and with our shared interest in maintaining the trails,we could do an even better job.

Join a club, or show up to a work day. We could always use more volunteers on the trail. Our trail, or other trails.
We go with the sole intention of working on the trails. We do have a list of what needs to be done.
We ALWAYS go with the sole intention of working on the trails and not playing.
What other group would you like us to be coordinated with? Split the responsibility with whom?
You tried to move the tree off of the hill climb?
Again, PM me personally with concerns of our trail....please...

The fact of the matter is that the FS asked for clubs/groups to adopt trails in order to keep them maintained on a regular basis. The previous stystem was not working for them. The Rangers are in charge there, not any of the clubs.
We work under their orders/direction, period, amen.

Next time you're at URE get the ear of one of the Rangers and ask them how well this particular club is doing with their efforts.

Being involved is the most important thing. Thanks to everyone that steps up with work days - trash pick up etc...

Hey man I was not trying to call you out,all I was saying was if I as an individual or my group could coordinate with another group to help out we would.That's all and that's for any trail not just Dickey bell,Maybe we could have alternate groups that go on alternate weekends,solely to clean up,not trying to call anyone out,just trying to be part of the solution.As far as the tree I was talking about here is a pretty good pic of it.It's facing downhill on the hill climb and people were having to move it back and forth depending on what line they were taking up the hill.If someone got a bite of good traction and went the wrong direction though it's easy to see where that tree would ruin their day.

Attachments

• P1000599.jpg
    P1000599.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 735
That tree is now off the climb, over behind the fence blocking some ATV off-trail trails. That is the one that 1983Bronco helped with. It was a booger to get off of the trail but it is.

Anytime anyone has issues about our trail, just shoot one of the club members a PM and we will see what can be done about it.

That photo you used is also misleading, the tree is not as close as it appears in the photo.
Yes it was in the way, but not so close that there were not at least three distinct lines around it in a Full Size Jeep.:shaking:

BTW look us up on Sept. 18th when YOU SHOW UP at the workday. We are not hard to find in our rigs.

if its a tree here or a tree there i think that the clubs are doing a great job. one tree on a trail that you have to go around isnt bad. just think of what it would be like if it wasnt sponsored or we didnt have the work days that eli has gotten up n running. your in the woods trees will fall, fact of nature. keep up the good work guys, im gona try n make it up on the 18 without a rig, but my hands n feet still work fine.

That photo you used is also misleading, the tree is not as close as it appears in the photo.
Yes it was in the way, but not so close that there were not at least three distinct lines around it in a Full Size Jeep.:shaking:
BTW look us up on Sept. 18th when YOU SHOW UP at the workday. We are not hard to find in our rigs.
WOW That almost sounds Threatening.........Hahaha I will be there.I have been wanting to do a trail workday even if it's a day trip.I am all for giving back,I think the forest service does a great job providing an awesome place for us to wheel.I would be happy to do my part to give back.

That's the tree that gave me, "that tough old man," a good roll and somewhat of a tumble as we moved it off the trail.

Thanks '1983bronco' for the kind concerns.

And, shawn, you might be stretching it a little.

WOW That almost sounds Threatening.........Hahaha I will be there.I have been wanting to do a trail workday even if it's a day trip.I am all for giving back,I think the forest service does a great job providing an awesome place for us to wheel.I would be happy to do my part to give back.
No threat intended, an open invitation.

You criticized the work we do, without even participating.
I just thought maybe you would like to see first hand what actually goes on during a workday.

Now wait wait wait,I just re read what I wrote to be sure,but I wasn't criticizing anything,in fact I started my second response with "Hey man I wasn't trying to call you out".I am not saying anyone is doing a bad job.That was definitely someone else,I saw those responses but I was not siding with them.All I was saying was,IMHO It would be almost impossible for a group to go every weekend,maybe there is a better way to coordinate our efforts to better everyone,like joining y'all on your trail work day,maybe I'll even have my 1973 J4000 Running by then.Not to mention as was stated before it's a Forrest,trees fall.I wasn't blaming anyone for that tree being there,I was just answering where sungoesdown had asked about a tree and I didn't intentionally use a misleading pic.It was just the one I had,if that tree is gone then Kudos to y'all I am sure that was a major job.I was saying maybe other groups could help groups with their trails if it would help them.I personally think the trails look fine,other than the damned beer cans,but you'd have to go daily to keep those picked up.If it came across any other way I am sorry.My point is maybe with everyone pitching in,helping the assigned groups,we can help protect and keep open a place that obviously people feel very strongly about.

Okay guys, that's enough with the bickering back and forth. This forum is about working being done, needing to be done and general news about URE. Leave the arguments to PMs or in the garage.

Well again my plan was not to bicker with anyone,just trying offer help.Speaking of,since you called me out a little on it(and you are dead right, we all should help out)Plus to appease the Mod by making this an informative thread on how to help,what can a man bring to be a useful asset to a club?I work in construction so I have hand tools,Power tools with probably enough extension chords to reach the outpost,Battery Power Tools,I could bring a generator with a welder.I also have started a thread with the club I am with and it looks like a few people are interested in coming although,they are adults and I will leave that to them to say.I just want to help as I said before and if I came off any other way then again I am sorry!Hopefully I can rock my J4000 pickup that weekend although that seems like a long shot at this point.

Well again my plan was not to bicker with anyone,just trying offer help.Speaking of,since you called me out a little on it(and you are dead right, we all should help out)Plus to appease the Mod by making this an informative thread on how to help,what can a man bring to be a useful asset to a club?I work in construction so I have hand tools,Power tools with probably enough extension chords to reach the outpost,Battery Power Tools,I could bring a generator with a welder.I also have started a thread with the club I am with and it looks like a few people are interested in coming although,they are adults and I will leave that to them to say.I just want to help as I said before and if I came off any other way then again I am sorry!Hopefully I can rock my J4000 pickup that weekend although that seems like a long shot at this point.
I am a contractor as well. We are usually prepared with all those things, but the work is typically grunt work. Post hole digging and lifting. Shovels fit all sorts of hands.

Love to see the J out there!

Back