Did I just brake an axle shaft?

93redzj

Was driving home in my 02 F250 today from work with my trailer in tow, and started hearing and feeling some crunching in the front end. Pulled over to investigate, no obvious signs of breakage but when I turn the front driveshaft, the driver side ujoint rotates but passenger side doesn’t. They both turn by hand, I didn’t notice any noises when turning them

I believe BOTH shafts should turn with the driveshaft (eliminates the hubs)
I was thinking both should turn, the passenger side wants to try and turn if you wiggle driveshaft back and forth, but once you start turning it, the passenger side stops rotating

I was thinking both should turn, the passenger side wants to try and turn if you wiggle driveshaft back and forth, but once you start turning it, the passenger side stops rotating
This sounds like open diff normal action to me. One side will get power or the side with least resistance via spider gears. Are you doing all this with wheels on the ground? If so I'd say the hubs are in the free position.
Jack up the front wheels independent and engage the hubs. Check both work and are noise free. Unless it has a traction device or locker this should be accomplished with one tire on the ground. If it binds you may have diff issues. You should also be able to tell if a hub is damaged.

This sounds like open diff normal action to me. One side will get power or the side with least resistance via spider gears. Are you doing all this with wheels on the ground? If so I'd say the hubs are in the free position.
Jack up the front wheels independent and engage the hubs. Check both work and are noise free. Unless it has a traction device or locker this should be accomplished with one tire on the ground. If it binds you may have diff issues. You should also be able to tell if a hub is damaged.
Yes that was with both wheels on the ground. I have since gotten truck home, jacked up each wheel independently and rotated. Driver side seemed normal, passenger side has some grinding noises. My rotor is also now grooved on that side. I’ve got brakes and rotor off, rotating, and it’s binding intermittently also, this is toast …..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 67
Hub bearing failure?

99-04s also have needle spindle/stub bearings instead of sealed roller bearings like 05+.

So that could be dried up also.

Back