Diesel prices for tow rig

MR. GADGET

So I don't want to do the fry oil thing but was thinking about getting a tank like we did in the old days.
We had a 500 gal tank that we got Diesel and one for K1.
Does anyone get bulk diesel and will it cut the price any getting 300-500 at a time?
The K1 is still white and I know in the winter people mix it up to 50/50 for a little of a savings.
I know that people say go with the Fry oil but I'm still covered to 100,000 with the Dodge warrenty but can run mix K1 and diesel is ok with DC.
Jon

I am hoping to go pick up a 500 gallon tank this weekend :)

If they have extra I will let you know.. even though I have a few more folks in line before you to get one also

Talked to a Bio-diesel maker in Raleigh the other day. He is producing hundreds of gallons a week. Will deliver to your home and dump in your 300 gallon (or more) tank. Current price...$2.75 gallon. Jon, for your truck, no conversion neccessary.

lomodyj said:
Talked to a Bio-diesel maker in Raleigh the other day. He is producing hundreds of gallons a week. Will deliver to your home and dump in your 300 gallon (or more) tank. Current price...$2.75 gallon. Jon, for your truck, no conversion neccessary.

HOnestly that just does not seem worth it...

I get deisel for 2.89 gallon.. so yes i wold save money but damn not much...

I woul drather make my own or run WVO

Didn't mean it to be a big savings...Jon is running a 24valve, not easy to run grease, he asked about dinodiesel and I gave him another option...and $2.75/gal for 300 gallons is $825.00 for 300 gallons of dino at 2.89/gal it's $867.00 a $42 savings...and it's sitting in your yard, you can put 5 gallons in a day (or whatever you need daily) and keep your weight down. Plus, you don't have to worry about the price changing on you...he's been charging $2.75 for months now...and dino is gonna keep fluctuating upward.

Watch your dinodiesel costs in the next couple of weeks...I've been watching them climb now for 2 weeks. It was 2.79 gal out at the Flying-J last week. Yesterday it was 2.87.

I've got all my grease stuff on the truck...spent the last 2 days trying to solve bugs...still "running out of fuel", whether on dino or grease...

hijack: ok i dont know jack about dino or bio but id like to try it in this truck im gonna buy. its a 89 f350 7.3 with a banks turbo on it. does that thing like bio?

I'm not sure on the Fords...the Bio has a cleaning effect on your fuel system...it'll clean out the tanks and the hoses and dump all the dirt into your filter. I ran 25 gal of bio, within 200 miles my filter was clogged. Swapped it out and went about 2000 (mostly on Dino) and it clogged again. Swapped it out and have had no problem running dino or bio since...Bio also tends to break down rubber. And this is were you need to be looking. What does the Ford have for fuel lines? What does the truck have for O-rings and gaskets? A trip to the DTR, FTE or BBO board might answer those (then let us know!)
FYI
Dino or DinoDiesel = what you get at the 'gas' station
Bio or Biodiesel = vegatable oil cooked with ly and ethanol (among other things) to create a useable dino alternative, used just like dino.
WVO or SVO or Grease = Waste Vegatable Oil, Straight Vegatable Oil. 2 tank system using heat to create the viscosity needed to flow, atomize and 'burn'. Start up and shut down on Bio or Dino diesel, once oil is at temperature switch over to grease, runs just like on diesel.

Guess I got the bugs worked out of mine...Pulled the Chapel Hill High School Tigers Marching Band trailer to Boone today (pulled it up and left it, 307 miles round trip)...I think the trailer was about 8K#...and my fuel guage didn't move...:D

I'll do a write up on my system, what I did, what I bought and some of the 'gotchas' later.

BRUISER said:
HOnestly that just does not seem worth it...
I get deisel for 2.89 gallon.. so yes i wold save money but damn not much...
I woul drather make my own or run WVO

My experience with Bio is that I get fewer miles per gallon. If I ran B100 (100% bio) at 2.75 a gallon, I would lose my A$$ compared to dino at $2.89. I get about 17 mpg dino and around 12 on B100. I was making my own Bio for about $0.80 per gallon, so I could stand the MPG loss.

yota_wheeler said:
My experience with Bio is that I get fewer miles per gallon. If I ran B100 (100% bio) at 2.75 a gallon, I would lose my A$$ compared to dino at $2.89. I get about 17 mpg dino and around 12 on B100. I was making my own Bio for about $0.80 per gallon, so I could stand the MPG loss.

Something is way wrong if you're getting a 30% drop in fuel economy from B100. shouldn't be more than 5-10% ??

Rich said:
Something is way wrong if you're getting a 30% drop in fuel economy from B100. shouldn't be more than 5-10% ??

17 MPG is a tried and true number. I only ran a few tanks of Bio, and didn't do the best job tracking fuel economy, so 12 MPG may be a bit low. Even so, it was more than 10% reduction. This was in an '05 CRD Cummins with no timing adjustments.

Even at a 5% the cost is equal. The reduction in price from $2.89 to $2.75 is 5% so an drop in fuel economy over 5% makes the bio more expensive per mile.

If you are getting 20MPG and pay $2.89 per gallon, it costs $0.14 to drive one mile.

If you are getting 19MPG (5% reduction) and paying $2.75 per gallon, it still costs $0.14 to drive one mile.

Just throwing it out there for the sake of argument. Until the price of dino goes higher, there is no real savings.

Back