Diesel Secret?!?

Cummins engines have chromoly piston rings.. one reason for their long life (in addition to the tolerances being loose).. Besides, oil's job is to lubricate the rings, not the fuel's?? I hear about the PSD guys having a problem with "wet stacking" if they let them idle too long, and I've heard about the fuel washing the oil off the cylinder walls and causing wear, but never the other way around?

Also, look up the Cummins "centinel".. It takes crank oil and sends it to be burned, replacing it with fresh oil... 500,000 mile oil changes... :) It won't be legal for much longer, but it still is.

Rich said:
Cummins engines have chromoly piston rings..

I've always heard there's no such thing as Chromoly rings. There are Molly rings, but not Chromoly. Again, this is what I've heard from "Car shows" Is that not true? Honest injun question, not being a smart ass. :confused:

you're probably right.. Maybe it was just chrome? The ones that take forever to break in, but last a looong time. I think it is Chrome.. oops.. :x

The thing that bothers me about there add is that it lacks any real sceintific data. just a bunch of claims and cheesy videos One would think that if this was so great there would be more data avaliable. And with all of the guys Running WVO I am sure someone else would have come up with somthing simular.

I will be getting a oil burner hopefully soon I think I will go the WVO route and use the greasel system.

I Also found this forum reguarding WVO Just a FYI
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

I talked to a friend over the weekend and he told me he ordered some of this stuff. I will let yall know how it works when he gets it.
From what I have been told,the cummins "Centinel" System has already been outlawed in California. One of the guys I work with just moved here from CA.

The turbo diesel register has its own alternative fuel section now... http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=154

General consensus from my reading is that the "Diesel secret" is snake oil.. It's the veggie oil/gasoline/kero/injector cleaner mix that does the viscosity reduction.. But, one guy says he'll keep using the additive, because it's only around $.15 a gallon.

His total material cost (not including time) is about $.63 a gallon.

Personally, I've got enough flammable crap in my garage.. I don't need a 55 gallon drum of methanol, too. (Not to mention Nicole would be none too happy about her car getting put outside if I had to build a Bio machine)

So, it's either this diesel/gas/kero mix, or straight WVO. Still working on a WVO supplier, still leaning heavily towards the straight WVO route.

diesel secret

Here is the scoop: INSTRUCTIONS- Purchase a garbage can, 2 pumps, and 2 household water filters.
INGREDIENTS:
20 gal wvo
2 gal kerosene
1 gal unleaded gas
15 oz of Diesel-Kleen
3.5 oz of DSE Potion

Mix slow for five minutes and pour in your tank.

People have been doing this for years, less the
DSE Potion.

Did some one say "SNAKE OIL".

Few curious questions.... So this process isnt removing the 'guk' that the nitration lye process does? your just filtering and burning it ? (with some lubricatnts added)

so outside the cold startup/shutdown issues... what is the real benifit to 'processing' the WVO ?

yager said:
Few curious questions.... So this process isnt removing the 'guk' that the nitration lye process does? your just filtering and burning it ? (with some lubricatnts added)

so outside the cold startup/shutdown issues... what is the real benifit to 'processing' the WVO ?

I think So the Diesel secret Guys can make more money:lol:

wvo

The diesel engine will burn filtered wvo, but you have to over come the viscosity thickness of the oil.
Basically you are "thinning" the wvo with kerosene and gasoline so it will flow. "Apparently", with this mixture, there are enough additives there to prevent coking once you shut down. Just put it in the tank and drive.
You can do the same thing by heating the oil to 160 degress, it will flow properly. Then you have to deal with the coking problem if you shut down while on wvo, apparently the stuff litterally cooks in the injectors from the heat. This is solved by switchig back to diesel soon enough to flush the veggie oil from the flilter,pump, and injectors prior to shut down. On restart you allow the veggie oil to heat up and switch back over.
From what I have read you can start on veggie oil during warm weather and it will flow enough until warm, but you would have the coking problem.
I am convinced that Greg has the system that works best.

was searching for a website for local diesel prices, and ran across this:

www.dieselsecret.com

the original link in the topic is dead, and had an "s" on the end of secret...so I'm not sure if it's the same thing...

averages out to $.46/gallon...

is it similar to Larry's mixture below?

Here is the scoop: INSTRUCTIONS- Purchase a garbage can, 2 pumps, and 2 household water filters.
INGREDIENTS:
20 gal wvo
2 gal kerosene
1 gal unleaded gas
15 oz of Diesel-Kleen
3.5 oz of DSE Potion
Mix slow for five minutes and pour in your tank.
People have been doing this for years, less the
DSE Potion.
Did some one say "SNAKE OIL".

Larry...have you been running that mix? I know your old rig has a WVO (I'm assuming) setup...

just curious on other alternatives...

any danger in trying something like this in a 1st Gen CTD?

Greg

DSE

No, I believe that mixture would be very harmful to you engine over a period of time. There is by far to great a percentage of gasoline in their formula. Years ago, during extreme cold weather out west, I would pour 1 gallon of gasoline in a 100 gallon tank to slow down the gelling process if I did not have access to an anti-gelling product. I worried that may to much.
I found that household rubbing alcohol worked best for gelling. I would buy it by the case from K-mart, put on16 oz bottle in 100 galons.

Ok guys, here is the moment you have all been waiting for, I got curious and ordered the stuff one day because I only saw bad postings about it, but no one had actually tried it, so I figured "how would they know." The above directions are correct, I mixed it like it said and poured it in the tank, the truck ran fine, pulled great, and smelled good too. It does not take the viscosity down to that of biodiesel, it is much thicker, so I bought a greasel kit and have been using that for about 5 months now b/c I knew the DSE would probably be too stressful on my engine during the winter. The thing is it worked fine, but something tells me that adding gas in that quantity might be bad for your engine after a while.

Back