Dirt Bike recommendations

Thought about the 200 or 250 even, but decided I would rather have the low end of the 300. I don't need the extra power on the top end but for lugging through the woods it will be nice. Also hoping to pick one up with a rekluse and electric start to make my life even easier.
Yeah if you want electric start that kinda kicks the 200 out. I’ve had a 200, 250 and 300 and honestly for the price if you’re going 250 I’d just pass it and get a 300. The 200 was my favorite for super tight and technical single track and some enduro but it just didn’t have the quick hit for harder enduro.

Yeah if you want electric start that kinda kicks the 200 out. I’ve had a 200, 250 and 300 and honestly for the price if you’re going 250 I’d just pass it and get a 300. The 200 was my favorite for super tight and technical single track and some enduro but it just didn’t have the quick hit for harder enduro.

There are electric start 200s. Not really easy to find though. 2013-2016 had e start.

Picked up an 08 300 xcw last night.
Has some extras needs some work on the starter, it just spins but doesn't engage from the sound.
Also have to get a charger for weird lithium battery so I can mess with it.
1660845272806.png

clean 08 there!

You may already know, but the starters on the pre ~14 ktm's are pretty notorious for sucking
I know it is an issue but haven't had the time to learn about them yet. This one pushed my price point so I couldn't afford one with the good starter.

I know it is an issue but haven't had the time to learn about them yet. This one pushed my price point so I couldn't afford one with the good starter.
If you plan to put a rekluse on it, or if it has one already, I wouldn't even worry about fixing it if it costs more than just a little bit.

has the rekluse already.
that thing is going to take some getting use to.

Do you know what style rekluse it is? They all have different settings that can be changed whether it’s springs, balls etc to adjust engagement and slip. It will take a little dialing in but once they’re set, they work really well. Only downside is in more
Hard Enduro style riding it can take some getting used to in order to learn to use the clutch and brake to hold yourself on a hill and not freewheel to the bottom. Is usually set all of my Rekluses to feel just like a stock clutch, just using it for anti stall when my fat ass gets tired in a race and stabs the brakes before the clutch is pulled in. 🤣

Do you know what style rekluse it is? They all have different settings that can be changed whether it’s springs, balls etc to adjust engagement and slip. It will take a little dialing in but once they’re set, they work really well. Only downside is in more
Hard Enduro style riding it can take some getting used to in order to learn to use the clutch and brake to hold yourself on a hill and not freewheel to the bottom. Is usually set all of my Rekluses to feel just like a stock clutch, just using it for anti stall when my fat ass gets tired in a race and stabs the brakes before the clutch is pulled in. 🤣
No idea, I didn't get any info with the bike and the guy I bought it from had no idea. Any way to tell?
I know you can put it in gear and let the clutch out and just sit there and then take off. Weirdest thing ever.
I need to adjust the bike some when it hits the power, hits pretty hard. Looks like there is something that can be unplugged under the gas tank to chill it out some and something about some green\yellow springs. Just saw the edges of this info last night and haven't dug in yet. Looks like Slaven's has tons of info.

No idea, I didn't get any info with the bike and the guy I bought it from had no idea. Any way to tell?
I know you can put it in gear and let the clutch out and just sit there and then take off. Weirdest thing ever.
I need to adjust the bike some when it hits the power, hits pretty hard. Looks like there is something that can be unplugged under the gas tank to chill it out some and something about some green\yellow springs. Just saw the edges of this info last night and haven't dug in yet. Looks like Slaven's has tons of info.

Slaven's has a ton of tech tips and he has been around a while, Jeff has some strong opinions though on some stuff.

Take off the clutch cover and take a pic, one of us can probably help out.

Half the fun of the 2t is it trying to kill you when the power comes on, but if you can put a different Power Valve spring in, it can calm it down. I don't know if the older KTM's had an external PV adjustment or not.

Rekluse is awesome though once you get used to it and dial it in (unless like stretch said you are doing hard enduro, that is why I don't run one anymore). Being able to blast into a corner sliding the rear brake and not worry about stalling is great.

Half the fun of the 2t is it trying to kill you when the power comes on, but if you can put a different Power Valve spring in, it can calm it down. I don't know if the older KTM's had an external PV adjustment or not.

You mean like putting a 300 Jug and piston on a 250SX Bottom end like my 09. That thing was fun for brushy but terrifying at 1:30+ in a race.

Had a crf230, suspension sucked. Got rid of it and got a crf250x (same as a 250r but with electric start and a headlight). The 250x ROCKED. Wish I still had it.... I have a Chinese 250 now (ssr xf250, 2021 model). It's been a good bike, is street legal too. No powerhouse by any means but I am no hardcore dirt bike rider. Cheap enough I don't care too much about it either. Thought about selling it but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Had a crf230, suspension sucked. Got rid of it and got a crf250x (same as a 250r but with electric start and a headlight). The 250x ROCKED. Wish I still had it.... I have a Chinese 250 now (ssr xf250, 2021 model). It's been a good bike, is street legal too. No powerhouse by any means but I am no hardcore dirt bike rider. Cheap enough I don't care too much about it either. Thought about selling it but couldn't bring myself to do it.
250x was on my list. Big fan of a Honda. The used 4 stroke is just too much of a gamble for me. So far I really like the KTM the little I rode it and and the maint I have done.

Nice bike, had several. You're probably going to hate it for trail riding with your kids. I bought a CRF230 specifically for that duty and I have 2 KTM's, '19 300XC and a 300XCW....just too much bike to putt through the woods. Good luck.

Last edited:
I’ll throw my hat in the ring on a CRF250F. Been riding one about 5 months now, tinkered with the suspension (different springs in the fork) and motor (full exhaust and EJK) put a gummy tire on the back with deep gearing (12/52 or 12/54). It’s a single track hog. My buddies and I ride at brown mtn and doe mtn on the single tracks; it’s perfect IMO

Picked up an 08 300 xcw last night.
Has some extras needs some work on the starter, it just spins but doesn't engage from the sound.
Also have to get a charger for weird lithium battery so I can mess with it.
View attachment 378872
Looks really good, I have an 09 300. I think you’ll love it. I finally just took my e-start out after never being able to get it to work consistently but mine has a Lectron carb and always kicks first or second try so it’s never been a big issue for me.

Back