Dirt Bike recommendations

rabb11d

I am looking to pick up a dirt bike for some trail riding with the kids, 7 and 8. (zero track time for me, too old for that junk)
I have some experience on dirt bikes but spent most of my life on 4 wheels.
Had a yamaha 426 and a kx250 in the past but they were not the ideal bikes for getting through the woods.
I am currently thinking about a honda 250x or ktm 300 xcw\exc. Most of what fits my price range is late 2000's ($3000)
What say you?

Also if anyone has anything for sale let me know!

I would love to find an early 2000's KDX 200 for mild trail foolery.

I would love to find an early 2000's KDX 200 for mild trail foolery.
Hey, guess what my dad has under my shed that needs to be sold…

Putting around behind the kids, 4t. TTR125, CRF150F or similar “trail” four strokes. Even the old KDX referenced above, while an awesome trail bike, would need to be ridden harder than putting around behind the kids to stay cleaned out.

They are awesome. Modern 300 2t are my favorite. I have a 300 beta. But for putting around behind kids there are better choices.

But yolo!
I'm torn. I will not be happy in the air cooled turd dept. I sold my trx450 atv last year because I can't ride it easy. I have respect for dirt bikes but still need some power. I do know that yamaha 426 is not the correct answer!

Putting around behind the kids, 4t. TTR125, CRF150F or similar “trail” four strokes. Even the old KDX referenced above, while an awesome trail bike, would need to be ridden harder than putting around behind the kids to stay cleaned out.
I'm not sure how much putting we will be doing, my 8 year old is ripping the ttr110 around like a mad man. I need to get something so I can get them in the woods and not on a dern track.

I'm not sure how much putting we will be doing, my 8 year old is ripping the ttr110 around like a mad man. I need to get something so I can get them in the woods and not on a dern track.

Keeping in mind that fact and price point, the KDX wouldn’t be awful or I would try and find an older 300 two stroke KTM. I wouldn’t touch a $3000 250 four stroke with a 10’ pole these days.

Keeping in mind that fact and price point, the KDX wouldn’t be awful or I would try and find an older 300 two stroke KTM. I wouldn’t touch a $3000 250 four stroke with a 10’ pole these days.
The maintenance on the four stroke does scare me. Simple valve adjustment could turn into 1k real fast..
I have found a few 300\250 ktm mostly xc version. Kinda want the 300 for the added low end. Really want the xcw\exc.

Whatever you get. Make sure it's a push button start.

The simplist bike I owned was a CF230. Light and enough to get the job done

The best woods bike I owned was a DRZ400. HEAVY AF but that made for a very smooth ride. Stable until you get into some tight single track. Never could afford a KTM but I'd love to have had a 2smoke 300 with a push button start

Came here to say CRF230 and prepare to get lambasted, but @CasterTroy beat me to it. No, they are not "fast", but ive walked away from guys on "fast" bikes on my CRF230 in the woods and on fire roads. And I'm a decent rider, but definitely not fast. You can get them cheap and they are super reliable. They are kind of a secret woods weapon in the hands of a good rider.

Also, electric start, and low seat height so you don't have to worry about putting a foot down on the low side and falling over.

WTF is going on in here. Bunch of lazy old men talking about needing electric start.
There's this magic age when reality Trump's the ego.

Sadly some men never reach that point and live a sad, uncomfortable life 😎😘

Honda XR/CRF 100-250 should do the trick. I beat the snot out of an old 100 and could out maneuver the big bikes on tight trails. now, they walked all over me in the open.

Have you thought about a 200 ktm? I had one before my 300 and loved it. Just wanted to gain more top speed for when we rode WV a lot. But it was a perfect trail bike and felt much lighter than the 300.

Have you thought about a 200 ktm? I had one before my 300 and loved it. Just wanted to gain more top speed for when we rode WV a lot. But it was a perfect trail bike and felt much lighter than the 300.

The 200s are amazing bikes, wish they still made one. I want to get a beta 200 to go along with my other beta's just because i love those motors.

Thought about the 200 or 250 even, but decided I would rather have the low end of the 300. I don't need the extra power on the top end but for lugging through the woods it will be nice. Also hoping to pick one up with a rekluse and electric start to make my life even easier.

Also hoping to pick one up with a rekluse and electric start
I put a Rekluse in my RMZ450 because it was a 2005 with just a 4 speed and that stupid long 1st gear they had that year. That made all the difference in the world in that bike!

The 200s are amazing bikes, wish they still made one. I want to get a beta 200 to go along with my other beta's just because i love those motors.
I kinda hate I let mine go but my brother bought it so I can still go get it to ride whenever I want

Back