Disc brake dragging- 1995 f250

I’m all for a “ well see” attitude But I’m supposed to haul equipment to charlotte tomorrow and it’s gotta pull my junk to Harlan on Friday. I really don’t want to slow anyone down because of something I could have fixed at the house.

May have missed it but is this a 4x4 truck? Do the tires spin freely with the calipers off? Positive you have the right part numbers?

As for the abs light being on, unplug the abs module behind the glove box. It’s not working anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did the brakes on my 93,I found the brake line that feeds the right front comes off the left front at the soft line mount to the frame. If both are dragging, that would make me lean towards something upstream involving the prop.valve,master, the cutoff switch for the cruise. Check your wiring to the cruise cut off switch.That is a recalled fire hazard on the later f-series trucks.

You said calipers and pads were new. When you first installed them, did they slide over the rotor easily or did you have to tap on the caliper? When you pull them off and put them back on, are you compressing the pistons? If you are, do they spin free until you apply the brakes?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

I appreciate everyone’s suggestions and thoughts so far. When I installed the calipers with new pads, The pistons were already compressed and they slid over the rotor easily. When I pull them off after the brakes have been applied, it takes a little bit of leverage to get them off the rotor.

They do spin freely until the brakes are applied. I’ve applied
The brakes and then removed the soft brake lines and they are still dragging on the rotor. I greased the clips that the pads ride on within the caliper. I might clean them off and see if that makes a difference.

Returned the calipers for another set of remans. Installed ceramic pads. Drag seems to be gone. Rotor temp is 100-150. I can’t believe it took this long for me to figure out. I had a shop tell me to replace my leaf springs, shocks, retighten wheel bearings, get alignment. Luckily that diagnosis was free. Crazy.

Back