Division between "trailer" and "equipment"?

fordwheelinman

This may seem pretty asinine, but I really need some clarification if anyone has it.

Where exactly is the dividing line between trailer and towed equipment? I understand a welder with a frame attached, that can not "transport a load" is equipment; and I also understand that bolting a generator to a 18ft trailer, means it's still a trailer. My question lies in the following scenario: If a man were to own a work truck, with a utility body, and for some reason the truck became unusable. Now say that man decided to scrap the front half, and turn the back half into a trailer, with the utility body still attached. Now let's say that this utility body has a compressor and welder or generator permanently attached to bed floor, so as to be entirely consuming the cargo space. Would this constitute a trailer, because the bed was originally designed to "transport a load" or is it a piece of equipment, because a frame has been attached to the welder/generator/ compressor?

If one were to argue that the toolboxes on the bed constitutes a "load transporter", would this also mean that attaching a tool box to the same frame that you would mount a welder to, makes it a trailer as well because it then "transports a load"?

I realize this is probably splitting hairs, and the majority of the people in the world don't give two flips, but I'm looking into alternatives to making my 1/2 ton ford into a world truck, as I don't truly believe it will handle all the weight of a utility bed, plus tools, plus compressor/welder/generator. Being able to tow it would make it more usable for me also, as I wouldn't be solely dependent on the truck to get my tools and things where I needed them. And if it were the truck frame, with the truck axle, would the dmv want to give me a title as a trailer, since it used to be a truck?

Equipment=manufactured to hual or carry one distinguished operating "tool".
Trailer=manufactured to haul any sort of variety or configuration of "tools".

The other factor is said equipment usually doesn't obscure the towing apparatus. This is why welders and other equipment don't have turn signals or working brake lights. Not how is run it, but if disable by the towing vehicle not mandatory.

I am not a popo, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but my interpretation as explained by an LEO friend would be that you would need a tag, as the tool boxes will be full of tools, which are not permanently affixed. His example was legally a pig cooker doesn't need a tag, but if it is carrying the pig then it does, as the pig is now cargo. I think your example of a welder trailer with a tool box would technically need a tag, but probably would slide under the radar better than a full on utility body with the larger pieces permanently attached. The best answer is when it doubt, get a tag, but that leads to your last question of titling a former truck as a trailer and any complications that may have.

Duane

I am not a popo, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but my interpretation as explained by an LEO friend would be that you would need a tag, as the tool boxes will be full of tools, which are not permanently affixed. His example was legally a pig cooker doesn't need a tag, but if it is carrying the pig then it does, as the pig is now cargo. I think your example of a welder trailer with a tool box would technically need a tag, but probably would slide under the radar better than a full on utility body with the larger pieces permanently attached. The best answer is when it doubt, get a tag, but that leads to your last question of titling a former truck as a trailer and any complications that may have.

Duane
Not complicated on the trailer. Apply for title just like a home built unit. Stamp tongue and axle. Personally I'd ditch the rear end and put a trailer axle. The diff will need oil and or maintenance because: rotating stuff. You can't just pull the guts if it's a half ton and c-clip axles. If it's a floater you have options.

Nice thing about home built you can tell them just about whatever tax value you want to. Remeber it was all scrap before you started.....lol!

Last edited:
Solid information, MUCH less heckling than expected.

I've got someone interested in my utility body, and I've got a line on a pre-made trailer. If everything works out right, I would still come out money ahead. I've not seen the trailer in person, but it appears to be a 3/4 or 1 ton as it has 16.5 wheels on it.

Also, can anyone identify this rear end for me?

Attachments

• received_3063640153907912.jpeg
    received_3063640153907912.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 137
Not complicated on the trailer. Apply for title just like a home built unit. Stamp tongue and axle. Personally I'd ditch the rear end and put a trailer axle. The diff will need oil and or maintenance because: rotating stuff. You can't just pull the guts if it's a half ton and c-clip axles. If it's a floater you for options.

Nice thing about home built you can tell them just about whatever tax value you want to. Remeber it was all scrap before you started.....lol!

In my head it was that simple, but I didnt know if something needed to be done to kill the title to the truck other than cut the frame in half. And I agree with using a trailer axle.

Duane

Solid information, MUCH less heckling than expected.

I've got someone interested in my utility body, and I've got a line on a pre-made trailer. If everything works out right, I would still come out money ahead. I've not seen the trailer in person, but it appears to be a 3/4 or 1 ton as it has 16.5 wheels on it.

Also, can anyone identify this rear end for me?

Definitely looks like a dana, and the frame and suspension is screaming first gen Ram to me, so I'd say either a 60 or a 70.

Duane

That's definitely a first gen Dodge. I just hope it's a full floating axle.

It is if it's factory. The only semi float 8 lug they used was the Chrysler 9.25, and its cover looks like a stop sign.

Duane

It is if it's factory. The only semi float 8 lug they used was the Chrysler 9.25, and its cover looks like a stop sign.

Duane
My first thought was a Chrysler because of the plug. I'm guessing it's a half ton variant. Been awhile but I know more than one assumed they had a 60 and it be that 9.25.
Screenshot_2022-01-19-00-10-47.png

Here's a good shot of one. Shock mounts and all.

I saw the plug too, but from the angle of the pic it looks like a Dana cover.

Duane

Back