Documentary YJ Build

Also, I need a set of Cherokee rear springs. Bent the driver side at 1:02 in the video...

So I picked up another project last night... can't decide what do with it.
1978 Bronco body (sheet metal behind cab is rough)
Sitting on shortened 1979 F350 frame.
Kingpin 60 front
60 rear
T18
np205
460 (hasn't ran in 5 years)

Not sure whether I want to think about tons, whole drivetrain swap or what... or just build the bronco?

Got it for a steal and don't know what to do with it.

IMG_9684.JPG

IMG_9686.JPG

IMG_9687.JPG

Haven't had much time lately.
I'm trying to close on a house.
I got engaged last weekend... so wedding planning has been my favorite thing to do in the whole world.:shaking::sniper:

House will have a 24x30 garage though. And another workshop in the daylight basement.
Everything is on hold until then.

So I picked up another project last night... can't decide what do with it. 1978 Bronco body (sheet metal behind cab is rough)
Sitting on shortened 1979 F350 frame.

Kingpin 60 front
60 rear
T18
np205
460 (hasn't ran in 5 years)

Not sure whether I want to think about tons, whole drivetrain swap or what... or just build the bronco?

Sell your current axles, tires and rims. Put the 60 front in the YJ, sell everything else, buy a 14 bolt and some 8 lug rims and 40's.

Sell your current axles, tires and rims. Put the 60 front in the YJ, sell everything else, buy a 14 bolt and some 8 lug rims and 40's.
Sucks that I got rid of a set of 8 lug H1's less than a year ago...
I have also beat on my jeep pretty hard and it has taken it so far.
I am really tempted to sell the YJ and do a 203 doubler, chromo's up front, 14 bolt, and 460 on propane with 42's... with the low 1st gear in the t18, the 460 and doubler I should be fine with the stock gears welded until I can upgrade them?

Edit: I may end up getting this thing running, taking it to some truck pulls, then part it out (keeping what I want to for my next project.)

I really want to build a stretched YJ truggy.
Make a cab and bed for it, linked, tons, 40+ tires with some sort of powerful motor.

I think we all have the problem of seeing potential in everything we come across. "oh, that would look cool on tons with this and that etc..."

It is hard to decide on one thing and just stick with it for a lot of people. Especially me.

Last edited:
You sure that doesn't have an NP435? Oh, and sell me the tons:smokin:
It's got Borg Warner cast in the side of it.
I kinda like the sound of tons... but if I get rid of them, I'll let you know

You know, I didn't realize they used T18's. But, I guess they did.
This is all new to me. This is my first real venture away from Jeep running gear.
I could use some advice on what I should do to get the old 460 going though. I've read a lot online, but there are a few opinions on what to do when a motor has sat for that long.

I wouldn't mind the 205...just saying haha.
What is a 205 worth?
I can't verify its condition yet, but owner said it worked and it does shift in and out

I sold my 7.3 a couple weeks ago to put a little more money in the bank so I could buy a house.
Bank finally came through last week, so I'm officially a homeowner.
It's got a detached, conditioned garage and a full basement with a roll up door and wood shop in it as well.

IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG

I'll finally have a place to work in any weather.
I also picked up a new tow rig last night.
Its a salvage title and needs a few small things, but runs great.

It has an oil leak, needs to be aligned and could use a. New steering box.

Also need to get rid of the wheels. Not my style.

IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG

Once I get settled in, I'll get back to work on the YJ.

That's a nice house and shop! Plus a shed!
House is stuck in the 60's/70's but I've got til April to fix it up.
That's when the fiancé moves in after the wedding. :eek:

Since I'm most likely gonna sell my 7.3 in a month or two I've got a set of air bags that "should work" on your obs truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, I like air bags.
I'll PM you. They may have trouble mounting due to how he gooseneck is mounted on this truck. I can always make it work somehow though.

Since I'm most likely gonna sell my 7.3 in a month or two I've got a set of air bags that "should work" on your obs truck

It won't let me start a conversation with you, I think I'm blocked. lol

Had a great time at the flats.
It was my fiancé's first ride and she did great.

Removed the road sign shroud and added a bigger fan. Runs cooler than it did, heats up slower, but still runs a little hot when I get on it for a while.

I figured out why my winch motor burned up on my last ride.
It was winching in reverse so the brake didn't engage when it stopped. Put a new motor on it and flipped it around. Works great now.

Installed some corbeau retractable harnesses. Not the biggest fan, but they will do fine for now.

I thought I had made it through the whole weekend without breaking anything...
Once I loaded the Jeep up to head home, I noticed a nice oil stain on my 9 inch housing.

My antiwrap bar mount is tearing out of my axle housing. Welds held, but the housing is pretty screwed.
It also got hella dented up from dragging it over rocks. It is leaking pretty bad where the 3rd bolts in.

I think it is time for a new housing with some more beef added to it.

I also will be needing some more leaf springs soon. These are getting beat up pretty bad.

IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG
IMG_0336.JPG

I'll just leave these here.
Lots of work to do.

I think I found a new housing.

Need to find some rear XJ springs.

Need to weld disc brake brackets to new housing.
Weld anti wrap mount to new housing.
Possibly get new spring perches.

Also going to address my rear spring hangers. They have always been an issue.

IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG
image.jpg

I'll just leave these here.
Lots of work to do.

I think I found a new housing.

Need to find some rear XJ springs.

Need to weld disc brake brackets to new housing.
Weld anti wrap mount to new housing.
Possibly get new spring perches.

Also going to address my rear spring hangers. They have always been an issue.

View attachment 253909 View attachment 253910 View attachment 253911 View attachment 253912 View attachment 253913

The welds breaking and pulling out of the housing are really bothering me. Any plans for the new housing yet?

The welds breaking and pulling out of the housing are really bothering me. Any plans for the new housing yet?

I think I have one lined up. Just trying to work a trade so I don't have to spend any money.

Your welds did not break. They just ripped the housing. It was pretty rusty

Back